Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have a couple of 22's - one is a Kidd Supergrade and the other is a Tippmann M4 elite. Fun paper punchers, but I use my 17 Hornet for pdogs and varmints of a similar size. Then a 223 for coyotes and a 224 Valkyrie for long distance shooting (but not hunting) I have tons of 22 ammunition, but find that I don't take my 22's out much more. Anyone else in the same boat. I like accuracy and speed!

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There was a time I had only a couple of rim fires and my interest was mostly in speed and accuracy for shooting varmints. But as I got older I began to truly appreciate 22 rim fires more every year. I own several. Both in rifles and handguns.

22s are just plain fun in any configuration. I can have a ball with my Winchester 67 single shot that I learned on or my Savage 24C. One slow shot at a time. I had a ball last year shooting feral rabbits at a friend’s place with a Glock 44. And it brings a great big kid sized grin to my face to load up my Marlin 39 with 22 shorts and ring steel. You can get tired holding the gun up before you run out of ammo.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
IDK, but I picked up TWO yesterday, a CZ 457 and 1969 39A.........

Truth is sitting here typing, I would have to go to the big black box and count 'em to tell you how many I have.............

For a long time I didn't even own one, sacrilege I know....

Do I count the 22LR that's been converted to shoot 22LR CENTER-FIRE!?!?!?

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rabbits, squirrels, grouse and trapline gun. I guess you have to live closer to the land to appreciate a 22lr more.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
There is no good reason to not own a 22.

I shoot between 2 and 3 cases of 22 ammo every year, thats between 10,000 and 15,000 rounds so you can say that I am a fan of 22's. When the ground squirrels are up I am out chasing them two or three times a week usually shoot 350 to 500 rounds per day at them, try that with a centerfire and you will be worn out at the end of the day, and also have spent a lot of money.

22's give more smiles than any other firearm available and do it inexpensively - what more can be asked of them.
My first firearm was a 22 rifle and I suspect that the last firearm I own will be a 22 rifle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
.22 rifles are a funny thing. When I don't have one I'm sure I just gotta have one and when I do have one I don't use it. I don't shoot as much as I used to. When I do, a .17 HMR is a better choice. I see one exception. I'm currently without a .22 rifle 'cept an old pump I keep at my father's house. I think next up will be a bolt action varmint weight with a threaded barrel .. I can see a real use for subsonics with a suppressor and maybe night vision optics ... got something of a gopher problem.

.22 handguns are a different story. I always need at least 2-3.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I only own a couple rimfires, but they're my go-to for rabbit. Used to be for squirrel too, but I mostly use a 32 S&W Long for those now.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Most of the 22 rifles I see lately are tactical looking, very seldom see a bolt action, lots of Henry levers around also

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beware of sudden epiphanies about guns you have, and aren’t using at the moment (as well as ones that strike your fancy). You may find yourself regretting a decision you take. 22s are incredibly useful as well as a lot of fun. I reload for all my CFs, but when I burn up the result of all my efforts, I have to go back and fill ‘em up again. Not so with my .22s; I just walk away from the empties knowing there’s lots more waiting. I don’t burn up a lot at a time, I just shoot until start to get sloppy. Shooting a .22 will reveal your faults that might get covered up by something with more recoil, making it an excellent teaching tool. I recently upgraded my bench bags to better ones, mainly because my .22s showed me how much I was moving after the trigger break, and also how I was forcing a good hold with tension on the rifle instead of achieving a neutral hold, two parts of the same error, really.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Training. Nothing like a grand kid with a .22 Rifle or pistol. I might need another one. 6 Grand's.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I always bring an accurate .22 bolt gun to the range to warm up with when I'm going to shoot a centerfire rifle. Some days I just can't hold steady to shoot good groups with a proven rifle/scope/ammo, so warming up with an accurate .22 bolt gun will let me know if it is a good day to shoot the centerfires or if it would just be a waste of time and ammo.

Most people don't shoot enough to develop or maintain their shooting skills and even if they do have a .22 to practice with, they won't spend money on the brand/style of ammo that shoots the best groups in their particular rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never heard of that Tippman, though I knew about their paintball guns from long ago (they sold that business). Looks very nice. The one tested for GUNS magazine was a shooter too.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I grew up with them when I lived in East Texas, very useful/fun/practical small game/pest rifles. Then I was exposed to the 22 Win Magnum. Now "there" was a step up! ha It had more reach ( for corows, etc) and a bit more thump on hogs (FMJ head/neck shots) When I moved to Utah, for the way I rambled, the 22 Mag was more useful, especially fighting the wind. A few years ago, I was training my wife with my dads old Ruger Single Six with the 22 cylinder. I ran into those poor quality Remingtons and was disgusted with them. I've always been a CCI Mini/Maxi guy. back in the late 70s, in Tx, I shot alot f the old Winchester Wildcat 22 LR (solid lead) and they killed swamp rabbits ( a big hare) and squirrels extremely well, w/o tearing them up like a HP or zipping through like a copper coated LR. That soft lead "wadded up" pretty easy. Some of my most enjoyable memories were "sniping" squirrels with a CF scope on an accurate .22LR (or Mag) head shots. You learn alot too doing that.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I own a few, handgun and rifle. But I shoot less than 50 rounds per year. Won’t be with out one or more though.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Have an assortment of 22's mainly just used for plinking

G/kids love 'em

But for general dispatching of unwanted critters around the house...17M2

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I will never acquire another rimfire. 2008, the first Obama panic and up to now, we are looking at 13 plus years of price gouging, hoarding, scalping and no indication that ammo companies are expanding to meet demand. To hell with it. I'll spend my money on casting for centerfires.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
thank you.....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Prairiefire: I own many dozens of 22's (actually 129 of them!) and wouldn't be caught dead without ONE!
Not only are they affordable to shoot - they are FUN to shoot.
On top of that many of the ranches/farms I Hunt Varmints on allow only rimfires in that usage.
I go through at least 4,000 rimfire rounds a year and have for decades now.
I can't think of a "good reason" NOT to own them!
More later, I just saw a gaggle of flying Varmints flit down in my backyard - I am going for my main Ruger 10/22 now.
Long live the 22 L.R.!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wouldn't be without one why would anyone not need a 22lr? Jfc that is the lamest sh*t I've heard yet. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Beware of sudden epiphanies about guns you have, and aren’t using at the moment (as well as ones that strike your fancy). You may find yourself regretting a decision you take. 22s are incredibly useful as well as a lot of fun. I reload for all my CFs, but when I burn up the result of all my efforts, I have to go back and fill ‘em up again. Not so with my .22s; I just walk away from the empties knowing there’s lots more waiting. I don’t burn up a lot at a time, I just shoot until start to get sloppy. Shooting a .22 will reveal your faults that might get covered up by something with more recoil, making it an excellent teaching tool. I recently upgraded my bench bags to better ones, mainly because my .22s showed me how much I was moving after the trigger break, and also how I was forcing a good hold with tension on the rifle instead of achieving a neutral hold, two parts of the same error, really.

What bags did you upgrade to?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,151
Posts18,465,027
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.