Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Eire Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I just picked up a box of old tools for a bargain $50. I got a good deal all round, but this knife caught my attention, more for the home made sheath than what was in it.

When I got the box home, I pulled out the knife and saw that what I had bought was a Randall 3, 7 inch blade. Can anyone confirm this? Any idea of how to date it?

So it looks like I will have bit of work on my hands. This is a knife that I want to bring back to life and pass on to one of my boys. Can anyone suggest some methods to get the rust off the knife with the least chance of damage. I've used electrolysis to restore old tools before, but this is stainless and electrolysis isn't an option as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for any info.

Eire
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Attached Images
Randall5.jpeg (14.6 KB, 625 downloads)
Randall4.jpeg (24.95 KB, 620 downloads)
Last edited by Eire; 09/25/21.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It is a Randall 4-7 in carbon steel...spend the coin and send it back to the Randall shop and they will make it look mickey mouse...DO NOT do it yourself or send it to someone else...MAKE SURE you send it to Randall.

Contact Mitchell and get a period Randall sheath from him...NOT a new Sullivan.

Mitchell

An excellent find.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you don't follow Doc's advice you're beyond help.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
E
Eire Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by JSTUART
It is a Randall 4-7 in carbon steel...spend the coin and send it back to the Randall shop and they will make it look mickey mouse...DO NOT do it yourself or send it to someone else...MAKE SURE you send it to Randall.

Mitchell

An excellent find.

Thanks for the advice. I'll send it back to Randall for repair. I'm only learning about these knives since I deciphered the marking below the rust and looked online.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never have warmed up to Randall’s as to looks, but I can appreciate where they came from and what they did.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are the leather washers tight? Get a little oil on it, sharpen, start using.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Eire

Mitchell

An excellent find.

Thanks for the advice. I'll send it back to Randall for repair. I'm only learning about these knives since I deciphered the marking below the rust and looked online.

As info Randall does not replace handles. Send it back and they will send a quote as to repair cost. Normally it’s pretty reasonable ($100 or so) but the weld looks bad. I’ve never sent one in with that damage.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Mitchell

An excellent find.

This dude knows.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would contact Randall but I doubt they will be much help. My last Randall came with a embarrassingly crooked handle - they offered to clean up the blade and sharpen it for free but wouldn’t do anything about the admittedly crooked handle. They said they don’t replace handles.

I’m sure they would clean up the blade, but it’s pretty much impossible to fix the solder joint without rehandling the knife.

If it were mine, I would buy a proper sheath as suggested and resell it to a collector as is. Take the money and buy one that doesn’t need work if you want a user.

Last edited by bigJ; 10/05/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bigJ
I would contact Randall but I doubt they will be much help. My last Randall came with a embarrassingly crooked handle - they offered to clean up the blade and sharpen it for free but wouldn’t do anything about the admittedly crooked handle. They said they don’t replace handles.

I’m sure they would clean up the blade, but it’s pretty much impossible to fix the solder joint without rehandling the knife.

If it were mine, I would buy a proper sheath as suggested and resell it to a collector as is. Take the money and buy one that doesn’t need work if you want a user.

They will rehandle the knife and resolder the guard...what they won't do is change handle, ie leather to stag.

Speak to Dirty water on the Knifetalk forums, he works there.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That’s news to me. My experience with them was roughly a year ago, and it was Jason Randall who answered my emails. My handle is stag, pictures were sent and after reviewing them they admitted it wasn’t proper but told me they don’t rehandle knives. Not sure who I need to talk to but they weren’t interested in fixing it. They did offer to clean up the blade for free…

Last edited by bigJ; 10/05/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Okay...have it your way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okay...have it your way.

Doesn't sound like he got it his way at all.

I wouldn't put any money into it at all including a new sheath. I'd flip it to a collector. I can't see a big knife like that getting much use.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Okay...have it your way.

Not sure how it’s my way….
I’m only relaying the response I got. I hope you’re right, because I would love to have my knife fixed. Which was the whole reason I contacted them in the first place.
I don’t personally know anyone who works there, so the only way to go about it was by email in my case. I’m not sure how else or who to contact to get it worked on, it’s not like I was going to argue with Jason Randall on what they do or don’t do.

In the meantime I registered to the website you mentioned and will see what dirty water has to say.

Last edited by bigJ; 10/06/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Okay...have it your way.

I’m only relaying the response I got. I hope you’re right, because I would love to have my knife fixed. Which was the whole reason I contacted them in the first place.
I don’t personally know anyone who works there, so the only way to go about it was by email in my case. I’m not sure how else or who to contact to get it worked on, it’s not like I was going to argue with Jason Randall on what they do or don’t do.

In the meantime I registered to the website you mentioned and will see what dirty water has to say.

I was referencing the op's knife which is to be restored, which Randall does. I don't give a flying fuck about you being unhappy and wanting a rehandle because it doesn't meet your lofty ideal.

Stop being a whinging bitch and either get the fucking thing rehandled by Behring or grow up and use it or sell it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Okay...have it your way.

I was referencing the op's knife which is to be restored, which Randall does. I don't give a flying fuck about you being unhappy and wanting a rehandle because it doesn't meet your lofty ideal.

Stop being a whinging bitch and either get the fucking thing rehandled by Behring or grow up and use it or sell it.

Wow

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Wow

Got sick of the whining bastard bitching about his knife handle...don't bitch, fix the bloody thing.

...or not, I don't give a shit and I am not into holding hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Post a pic once Randall refurbishes it - would be neat to see.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great find!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
Post a pic once Randall refurbishes it - would be neat to see.

I too would enjoy seeing it post refurb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 28 invisible), 2,040 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,100
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.