-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For sale: left hand Remington 700 BDL in 270 Win.

This rifle has a Pac-Nor Super Match barrel, 23" long in a standard Remington Sporter contour. Barrel was chambered and installed by Pac-Nor, with action lapped and trued as per their standard install procedure. Metalwork is finished in smooth matte blue, also done by Pac-Nor. It comes with matte Leupold dual dovetail rings which have also been lapped.

Action is kind of interesting. It was a complete rifle Remington sent me as a replacement for a horrible POS .270 I got off the rack. It has a B serial number and is factory drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. Remington says the rifle was "new" in the late 90's, but serial number indicates the action was made in the early to mid 70's. I think it is a good'un they had lying around.

The stock is nothing to write home about but works just fine. Overall finish is in good shape with the exception of some big nicks in the barrel channel and a chip by the bolt handle. Forend and butt were drilled out to lighten it some.

Price is $750 plus 1/2 of the actual shipping cost. Shipping varies so widely by destination that I'll split it with you but figure your half would be around $25 to $35 with adult signature and full insurance. First "I'll take it" gets it. MO or certified check. If you are not happy with it for any reason you can return it in the same condition it was received within three days before you make the FFL transfer and I'd refund the purchase price only. You'd pay the freight to send it back.

This is for sale on a local classified site as well.

[Linked Image]

More pics here

Last edited by Jim in Idaho; 09/26/21. Reason: Brain fart about barrel installation, fixed it

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Jim is good to go!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Any interest in partial trade for a Rem 870 Express LH 12ga? I picked up one of the last ones before Rem went Tango Uniform, for my lefty son, but he decided he prefers the BPS.
The 870 is unfired in the box and who knows when they will make them again.
Thanks

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
That’s a nice setup for the money! Shouldn’t last long

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
You’re killing me…. Bump for a good deal…

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Didnt realize you could date an action by ser#
Do you have more info on that?

I like guns | optics | fishing
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257bobber
Any interest in partial trade for a Rem 870 Express LH 12ga? I picked up one of the last ones before Rem went Tango Uniform, for my lefty son, but he decided he prefers the BPS.
The 870 is unfired in the box and who knows when they will make them again.
Thanks

Thanks, but I'm just looking to cash out.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rodney482
Didnt realize you could date an action by ser#
Do you have more info on that?

That early to mid 70's date is going by what a lady at Remington told me.

The long story: Sometime in the late 90's I bought a 700 BDL .270 off the rack at a local sporting goods store but the receiver finish below the stock line was horrible, it's like they never polished it before bluing. It was sent back and Remington sent me a brand new one. Noting the B serial number and holes D&T on the receiver I called the Remington service department to ask about it. The lady that answered looked up the serial number and said that number range would have been assigned around 1972. I questioned her about the two letter date code on the barrel which put DOM in the late 90's and she couldn't provide a solid history on why that was. Her best guess was that the action had been "lying around" and someone used it to make this replacement.

The safety does not lock the bolt which IIRC it would have in rifles built in the early 70's and the bolt does not have the groove in it which a tab engaged to lock it.

There are three digits solidly engraved into the bolt matching the last three of the receiver serial number. But then there is the number 8367 - which doesn't match the serial number at all - done with an electric dot pen contiguous with the solidly engraved digits. Because all the numbers are written in the same place the whole thing is difficult to make out even with a 5x loupe in good light. So maybe they used the bolt from the one I sent back and matched it to the bare receiver from the early 70's, then added a new production trigger/safety, barreled it to proper headspace and date stamped the barrel with when the complete rifle was assembled. But that's my best guess, I really don't know why there would have been a 25ish year old receiver lying around for them to use.

Later on in my "custom barrel everything in sight" period in the 2000's the rifle was sent off to Pac-Nor for one of their Super match barrels and as noted in the original ad, they trued the action face and lapped the lugs. It had a Jewell trigger on it most of its life but I took that off and put the original Walker trigger back on.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here's an ad from 2008 when I first tried to sell this. The McMillan stock and scope have been long gone but you can see what it looked like back then. Apparently I was also into more sensational marketing techniques back then as well.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ock-jewell-trigger-leupold-2#Post2145501

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Here's an ad from 2008 when I first tried to sell this. The McMillan stock and scope have been long gone but you can see what it looked like back then. Apparently I was also into more sensational marketing techniques back then as well.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ock-jewell-trigger-leupold-2#Post2145501

Still have that stock?

I like guns | optics | fishing
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No, that stock was sold long ago.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Okay, as much as I like this rifle it needs to get sold. So...

Price is $695 plus 1/2 of actual shipping.

If someone wanted to give me a sample address I could give you a fairly accurate quote using USPS priority and/or Fedex ground.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A bargain!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’ll take it. Dang south paw kids! I’ll get a pm to you a little later tonight, I just need to finish grilling supper.
Thanks,
Lowell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pm sent

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rifle is sold pending funds.

Thank you!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great snag.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.