Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I know both of these are very popular and I have taken some animals with the 140 & 147 ELD-M. But, I’ve never tried the 139 Scenar.
For those that have used both on game, is there any difference or benefit of one over the other at CM velocities? Thanks.

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Having shot tons of 140gr eld match bullets, I'd pick the 139 scenar over it. The 140 is pretty thin skinned and comes apart pretty easily. I know guys use the 147 with good success, but they use the same jacket thickness as the 140. Will they kill? Absolutely, but you are going to have a lot of lead fragments in the meat. The choice is yours. A 143 ELDX will hold together better than either of the ELDM pills you mention.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Having shot tons of 140gr eld match bullets, I'd pick the 139 scenar over it. The 140 is pretty thin skinned and comes apart pretty easily. I know guys use the 147 with good success, but they use the same jacket thickness as the 140. Will they kill? Absolutely, but you are going to have a lot of lead fragments in the meat. The choice is yours. A 143 ELDX will hold together better than either of the ELDM pills you mention.

What constitutes "tons". How many game animals were in that mix? Impact velocities? I've killed a few deer with the lighter weight variety and they held together better than I expected.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by mod7rem
For those that have used both on game.

How many animals have you shot with each?

It’s rhetorical, I know the answer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS

What constitutes "tons". How many game animals were in that mix? Impact velocities? I've killed a few deer with the lighter weight variety and they held together better than I expected.

Thousands upon thousands. The bullet has a very thin skin. I would not trust it on game I wanted to eat. Unless you like the taste of lead. Here's some that had issues:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They are an awesome target bullet. That is what they were designed for. You do take your chances with them though. I guess you've been warned. Just because a bullet punches paper and rings steel, doesn't mean it's going to be a top choice for a deer bullet. It will kill a deer no problem, but why put up with the mess of lead fragments in something you are going to eat. Or do you not eat what you shoot?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bitchkchunter,

Your Delusional Day DREAMING Dumbfhuqktitude NEVER disappoints,if only due your versions of "knowledge","experience" and "results"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Kudos on a Salvage being your "barometer" of "Terminal Effects",with yet another projectile you are talking out your ass about in an application you "get" to read about,you CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute" never ending HILARITY ala your Brokedick Dumbfhuqktitude. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thousands upon thousands. The bullet has a very thin skin. I would not trust it on game I wanted to eat. Unless you like the taste of lead. Here's some that had issues:

They are an awesome target bullet. That is what they were designed for. You do take your chances with them though. I guess you've been warned. Just because a bullet punches paper and rings steel, doesn't mean it's going to be a top choice for a deer bullet. It will kill a deer no problem, but why put up with the mess of lead fragments in something you are going to eat. Or do you not eat what you shoot?

LOL

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Look what the cat drug in…”olive’s lives matter”.

You have not shot a single animal with any of the said bullets, nor have you shot “thousands upon thousands” into paper.

Go away while the adults are talking.

Originally Posted by rcamuglia

LOL

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

The 105 gr. and 139 gr Scenar are far better than the 107 gr or 140 gr SMK on game. The SMK is not a good hunting bullet, for any thing bigger than a coyote. and the 105 gr Scenar, out shines the SMK on Coyotes. Rio7

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Skinners as a whole,are robust via birthright,in all diameters. It don't take much to get a leg up on a Sugar and Skinners reliably do same,by default. Hint.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
Look what the cat drug in…”olive’s lives matter”.

BLACK OLIVES MATTER

Get it right!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know both of these are very popular and I have taken some animals with the 140 & 147 ELD-M. But, I’ve never tried the 139 Scenar.
For those that have used both on game, is there any difference or benefit of one over the other at CM velocities? Thanks.

mod7,

I’ve used the 147 for the last few years. It’s performed well on elk and mule deer. Carried it for sheep as well, but haven’t had the good fortune to find a legal one yet. Chickened our and shot my moose last year with the 127LRX.

I had plans to make this the year of the 139, but I’m still packing the 147s around... maybe next year. Haha. Please report back, if you do use the 139. Since you’re familiar with the 147, I’d appreciate your thoughts on the 139.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Wrongside

mod7,

I’ve used the 147 for the last few years. It’s performed well on elk and mule deer. Carried it for sheep as well, but haven’t had the good fortune to find a legal one yet. Chickened our and shot my moose last year with the 127LRX.

I had plans to make this the year of the 139, but I’m still packing the 147s around... maybe next year. Haha. Please report back, if you do use the 139. Since you’re familiar with the 147, I’d appreciate your thoughts on the 139.

So far my results with ELD-M have been pretty good. I’ve taken 2 Mule deer bucks, 1 goat and a couple pronghorn with the 140 ELD-M Also taken 1 Mule deer, 1 Ram and 2 mountain caribou with the 147 ELD-M.

Now I’m just curious about trying the 139 Scenar because of how well liked it is. I definitely like using one bullet for everything. No real need to change I guess, except 147’s we’re tough to get for awhile, just wondering what differences on game between the two. Maybe one is better suited to higher velocities than the other? Mine is a 20” CM with muzzle velocity of 2650 fps with the 147’s.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
140 eld-ms have been used by my mate on now 7 grizz the last 2 seasons

doesn't include muskox, moose or 'bou

load the mag box, fill an ark.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive used both the 139 Scenar and the 147 eld from 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5 saums. The Scenar is a tougher bullet then the eld but I’ve yet to grenade one and have used them in deer, elk, bears and coyotes without issue.

Most guys blowing the Eld up likely have throats or bores that are rougher then a cob in my experience as well as some indication that land count and diameter may have some effect.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting comparison on the ELD-X/M side of things....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That was really cool. Thanks. I would love to see them use the 139 Scenar!!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Big fan of the 143 eldx. Not much of a compromise made using that bullet over the other 2 mentioned.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by akaSawDoctor
Big fan of the 143 eldx. Not much of a compromise made using that bullet over the other 2 mentioned.
lol

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have never used the Scenar bullets, but have read nothing bad about them. I have, however, shot probably 30+ deer and an antelope or two, with the 147 at varying distances. They have killed well, but I am sure that they would blow up worse at higher velocities. The Creed and .260 ( I have both) do not push the envelope on velocity and the 147 works very well. I think a lot of the reason that it does, is that it is so heavy vs bore diameter. I doubt that I will live long enough to shoot up the 147s that I have loaded, but if I do, then I will probably go to my standard Interlocks to take their place.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
767 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.