Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Shaman,

As far as guesses Rio7 already said that's a 125" buck in Texas. He likely has a lot of experience judging bucks. Of course we've all heard everything's bigger in Texas. As for myself, I can't even get it to 125. Maybe 110-120. I'd say Angus's buck that you mistakenly posted a pic of, probably 85 or so. Looks like a typical 2.5 year old basket rack 8 point.

GB1

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Shaman,

As far as guesses Rio7 already said that's a 125" buck in Texas. He likely has a lot of experience judging bucks. Of course we've all heard everything's bigger in Texas. As for myself, I can't even get it to 125. Maybe 110-120. I'd say Angus's buck that you mistakenly posted a pic of, probably 85 or so. Looks like a typical 2.5 year old basket rack 8 point.

That's fine. I wasn't the goober saying it was 140 class. 110 is fine. It's the biggest buck I've shot in 5 years.

Just to give you an idea, while I was writing my previous post, 2 guys like Angus' came out with an even younger buck and started feeding about 150 yards from the house. I kind of honked them off when I came out back to eat a pizza I picked up on the way to the farm. Before they left, they started play-fighting. It was fun to watch. After they took an interest in me, they wandered about another 200 yards out to the pasture where Supercore's blind sits. There was a bigger guy out there. He let one of the younger bucks dick with him-- even acted like he was giving way for a bit, and then got bored and chased him, almost rolling him on his butt, doing so. Meanwhile, I had the two doe that I'd come to expect in the yard come out. They have gotten used to me, and started feeding about 75 yards from the back of the house. I finished my pizza, wished them a good night and came in. It was getting to hard to see all the way out to the pasture where the bucks were playing grab-ass.

To me, that's better than watching Netflix.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by T_Inman

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I don't know WTF this means, but it is funny as hell.

You know....

I know what your point is behind posting it, but not what the wizard is doing and whatever else is going in the GIF.

Unless it is just portraying fake magic voodoo or digging shlt out of his ass. Then, it still cracks me up.

All will be revealed.

Ahhh.....I see! GREAT movie, those Role Models are.

As far as that buck....I am thinking more like 90 to 100 inches, but hell if I know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read through this and don't see how you are using the baking soda but guessing just use in the washer in place of detergent. The stuff works to absorb odors I do know that and am willing to see for myself if it out smarts a wild nose whether deer, coyote or any other animal.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by SKane
[

The measurements on your camp record are wrong - and not by just a few inches.
And the alleged 80# of entrails from said deer were not more than that of a mature elk.

The camp record? You mean this fellow?

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Look, all I know is that folks were begging me to measure it, and I did, doing the best job I could. I measured 165". I'm not claiming to have it officially scored. I'm not particularly tied to any particular number. I'm open to any estimate you want to give. If you all say it's 140 or 180, I'm happy with it. I don't go in for measuring racks. I think it's kind of silly. Pick a number. All I know is that it was far and away the largest deer we've taken on the property. As to the entrails, I bagged them up and brought them back to camp. Yeah, I know that was silly, but the truck was right there, and they were laying in the creek bed. Nowadays, I'd leave them lay. For grins, I put them up on the scale (ooops! I went back and looked at the original article. It specifies 70 lbs of viscera). My apologies. This was back in 2007. It's been a while. They did indeed feel like a sack of cement. The deer here are big. I've seen 300 pounders at the processors. It also states, that my estimate of the rack was 150 inches at the time I shot it. I measured 165 inches after it was back from the taxidermist.

Here is the original story that was posted on the Campfire:

https://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=212

I seriously would like to get this resolved. I know it all causes you a great deal of consternation. What acts of contrition do y'all require to get this taken care of?

You measured that deer at 165"? Poor brows, maybe 6" 2's and 7" 3's ? How'd you get there honestly?

Maybe you had a centimeter tape?

Baking soda to fool a deer's nose?

I'll log right back outta this place now...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I actually made estimates on tine lengths, main beam lengths, spread and girth measurements. Wrote it all down, added it up and came up with 100". Of course those are just estimates and the rack does look different in the various poses/angles, particularly in regard to spread and beam length.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I actually made estimates on tine lengths, main beam lengths, spread and girth measurements. Wrote it all down, added it up and came up with 100". Of course those are just estimates and the rack does look different in the various poses/angles, particularly in regard to spread and beam length.

Without even doing that, and not even accounting for NE deer ratios, I'd say that deer is not more than 110" and I'm in a generous mood....

If you're gonna think you know what you're talking about and assign a score to a buck you need to be within 50". It's a joke....

Gotta be a centimeter tape....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GregW

Without even doing that, and not even accounting for NE deer ratios, I'd say that deer is not more than 110-115" max.

That was in my original guess range before I actually wrote it down and added it up. Of course my estimates, particularly on beam length and spread may be off a bit.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Blackheart, I am aware i over scored Shaman's little buck, i was trying to be nice, he hunts hard for what he gets. Rio7

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RIO7

Blackheart, I am aware i over scored Shaman's little buck, i was trying to be nice, he hunts hard for what he gets. Rio7
Yep, and you gotta go by what's available in the area you hunt as to what constitutes a good buck.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only concession I make when washing my hunting clothes is to use a wool wash with no UV enhancing properties. With regards to scent I think a deer will scent you down wind regardless of what you washed your clothes in. I think the human body will carry enough scent to a deer. I've also wondered about how to reduce the scent of the rifle. To a deer's sensitive nose I'm sure there must be traces of ammonia copper solvent and gun oils giving off scents no matter how much we wipe them off.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

If you're gonna think you know what you're talking about and assign a score to a buck you need to be within 50". It's a joke....

Now you're talking !

You measured that deer at 165"? Poor brows, maybe 6" 2's and 7" 3's ? How'd you get there honestly?

Maybe you had a centimeter tape?

Baking soda to fool a deer's nose?

I'll log right back outta this place now...

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DANNYL
I read through this and don't see how you are using the baking soda but guessing just use in the washer in place of detergent. The stuff works to absorb odors I do know that and am willing to see for myself if it out smarts a wild nose whether deer, coyote or any other animal.

It would help to read this link:
Baking Soda -- The Shamanic Method

Yes, I use it in the washer, in the shower, and I store my clothes with it sprinkled in.

The best thing I can say to do is try the method in its entirety and then go hunt as normal. If you see an improvement, then fine. The method I originally read decades ago was far more complicated. It was written by a bowhunter and included things like putting your hair under a plastic bag. What I did was go whole hog for a while and then gradually relaxed until I found a method I could stand to do. That is what the article documented.

What I've experienced is that most (not all) of the scent-driven busts have disappeared. If I get busted, it is almost invariably as I am shifting in my stand, caused a noise, or adjusting my clothing. Those annoying snorts from nowhere are gone. What's more, a deer can walk through my downwind scent cone and be oblivious.

Also remember that I originally wrote this for people that were spending $300 on fartlok suits and spraying $20/bottle concoctions all over themselves. This was meant as a money saver. Activated charcoal suits and spray bottles are costly and useless.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
Before we get into that whole thing about scent reduction, and which Fart-Lok suit does the best, I thought I'd re-post my rant about Baking Soda.

It's cheap, it's easy. It does a really great job. It is by no means original; I found it in a magazine back in the mid-80's before all these fancy preparations and clothing started being merchandised.

Shamanic Baking Soda Method.

How effective is it? Without it, I can be busted at 70 yards upwind of my stand. Using the method, getting nailed due to scent is no longer a problem. I've shot a buck inside 5 yards with his sister standing closer than 2 feet.

To clear up misunderstandings from previous years' posts:

1) Don't worry. No salesman will call. I don't get a dime off this.
2) I don't purport that this method (or any method) makes you scent-free. All this does is lower your stink so it does not cause alarm to the deer.
3) I am using about 8lbs of sodium bicarb a year. Yes, I used to buy 50 lb bags, but that was just a cheap way to buy it. They'd last me several years.
4) Some of what you sprinkle on your clothes can be recovered and reused.
5) If you compare sodium bicarb to laundry detergent, this is a major savings. I use detergent very sparingly and only when things get really mucked up. When I do, I use All Free& Clear.

Since last year's post, I've had one major convert to the Shamanic Baking Soda Method. Our newest member of the Shamanic Dream Team, Remnar, decided to try it. After 10 years of trying other more expensive concoctions and eating tag soup. I helped him get his first deer last November.

Lastly: My advice is to give this a try and see how it goes. You may find you need to be more or less stringent in your regimen. Use my method as a starting place.

I agree, and have been using it for years!
It works well!
Back in the 80's Arm & Hammer, came out with a baking soda machine wash for hunting clothes.
Yeah we used that too!

HS58

After the Baking Soda to reduce the Man made odors,
We would put our hunt clothes in Large plastic bags with either pine branches,
or oak, and maple branches, to help as a cover scent!

Bagged a lot of White tails with this method yrs ago!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Before we get into that whole thing about scent reduction, and which Fart-Lok suit does the best, I thought I'd re-post my rant about Baking Soda.

It's cheap, it's easy. It does a really great job. It is by no means original; I found it in a magazine back in the mid-80's before all these fancy preparations and clothing started being merchandised.

Shamanic Baking Soda Method.

How effective is it? Without it, I can be busted at 70 yards upwind of my stand. Using the method, getting nailed due to scent is no longer a problem. I've shot a buck inside 5 yards with his sister standing closer than 2 feet.

To clear up misunderstandings from previous years' posts:

1) Don't worry. No salesman will call. I don't get a dime off this.
2) I don't purport that this method (or any method) makes you scent-free. All this does is lower your stink so it does not cause alarm to the deer.
3) I am using about 8lbs of sodium bicarb a year. Yes, I used to buy 50 lb bags, but that was just a cheap way to buy it. They'd last me several years.
4) Some of what you sprinkle on your clothes can be recovered and reused.
5) If you compare sodium bicarb to laundry detergent, this is a major savings. I use detergent very sparingly and only when things get really mucked up. When I do, I use All Free& Clear.

Since last year's post, I've had one major convert to the Shamanic Baking Soda Method. Our newest member of the Shamanic Dream Team, Remnar, decided to try it. After 10 years of trying other more expensive concoctions and eating tag soup. I helped him get his first deer last November.

Lastly: My advice is to give this a try and see how it goes. You may find you need to be more or less stringent in your regimen. Use my method as a starting place.

I agree, and have been using it for years!
It works well!
Back in the 80's Arm & Hammer, came out with a baking soda machine wash for hunting clothes.
Yeah we used that too!

HS58

After the Baking Soda to reduce the Man made odors,
We would put our hunt clothes in Large plastic bags with either pine branches,
or oak, and maple branches, to help as a cover scent!

Bagged a lot of White tails with this method yrs ago!
Every year I wash all my hunting clothes in scent free soap, hang outside to dry and then store in plastic bags with fresh cut pine boughs. That's as far as I go with it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Great information - thanks again for sharing it.

Ogdonia

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I hadn't given too much thought about this in years but this thread brought it back. Deer don't know the human scent! Deer are prey and because of that very weary. Any smell out in the woods that it out of place is dangerous. If your shooting the yard pets and barn yard visitors scent control may not be as important. That's not where I hunted and tried to make my stink as mild as possible. A natural cover scent diluted my stink a little more.

We don't realize how bad we stink. I had taken my GSP to the cabin. I left the cabin at 4:30 am. I was still hunting and had sat down on a sharp steep point. at 10:30 I heard a noise coming my direction and it didn't sound like a deer. I was concerned as the visible distance would be about 25 yard. I was thinking "Bear...Not good!" I snapped the safety off and half shouldered the rifle. The noise got closer...movement in the brush....it's brown! It's not a bear, It's a dog! Is this a wild dog? Is it a coyote? Will I have to shoot it?

No! It was my dog! She escaped the cabin, 2.5 miles in the woods, six hours later and she hunted me down!

I stink!

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Freezer: It's funny, but I repeatedly get shots of doe walking up to the camera a good 6 hours after I've been there to change out the memory card. They're up there sticking their nose on the camera to figure out where the stink is coming from. That's of course with no scent management whatever, and I'm usually more than 24 hours gone from my last shower. By the next night, it's all back to normal, but that shows me I'm leaving a sincere cloud that sticks around a while.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Does, fawns, 1.5yr old bucks…all love your camera. You. Won’t see big bucks doing that much, if at all.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RIO7
He might be 140 in Ohio, but in Texas he is a 125" That should piss off all you expurtts. Rio7

THIS !!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.