Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by battue
My opinion here in Pa is it must be a significant contributor. In more ways than being only a disease factor.

I know we have more than enough good covers. I know the hunting pressure on them has dropped. Not only in the number of hunters, but the season has also been shortened by 3 weeks. Later I can post a video of why, the GC scientist studying them makes the case for disease.

My main concern is that populations in most areas have gone so low that natural repopulation may be unlikely.

You need Birds to make a Dog…and you need more than a few Birds to bring Birds back. Read in another report were some fear they have completely “winked out” in some places.

Some go down the path thinking they never could never completely wink out. That’s been proven wrong more than once.

That is my belief here as well. Sad.

eta: Given enough time, natural repopulation may happen, but not in any adult's remaining lifetime.

Last edited by There_Ya_Go; 09/29/21.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
GB1

G
G
Might as well make those my first post!

I went out last weekend in North Central Minnesota, I heard zero drumming and only had 2 flushes the first evening. Granted that was in about an hour with a dog (red setter) new to grouse. I decided to check with my neighbor. He said the DNR guy had been over and reported that he had talked to 30 different hunters and combined they had 3 flushes. Hard to believe. My mind kept going to the lack of drumming.

The next day in the evening I started in an area new to me of older growth, nothing. It was hot and dry and the dog needed a break so I waited until evening to go out again. I started in an area that was primarily a pretty dry cedar bog, 20 flushes. Next I went to an area that was clear cut about 10 years ago, it's hard to hunt because of tree density, I hit a covey of 8 right away. Seems like a normal year except you may have to change where you hunt.

I follow the grouse cycle pretty closely in my hunting area and the difference between the highs and lows are extreme. People can really make a difference simply by improving the habitat. It's noticible even during the low years.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You folks are lucky who still have them. I've had the crap scared out of me when getting to a Deer stand when a Grouse would bust out of a Cedar right next to my ear. I miss them. We haven't had them in rural northwest NJ for quite some time.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I run into a lot more ruffed grouse hunting western states at lower elevations than in Maine or the mid west states. I grew up in WI and have hunted grouse there over 40 years.

, Got 3 in a few hours flushed up more

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka

, Got 3 in a few hours flushed up more

We have done very well so far on grouse on the west side this year as well Ribka. No trick to find a couple easy limits while bouncing around to a few spots we like to get chanterelles from. Mushrooms have been crazy good for us as well this year.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Coming from the days of regular 20-40 flushes....going for a limit was never an issue to question....Be it two in Pa or 4 or 5 in other States...

Seems to be Birds are on the rise in some States...but far from some past historic highs. However, I realize some places do have what seem to be abundant numbers. Let's accept that and only consider those places were that is not the case.

So, if one is only getting 4-10 flushes a day....Is going for a daily bag limit still a priority?

Going for a daily bag limit has never been a priority for me. I always pass on bumped birds. To me the joy of hunting isn't the success rate.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Perhaps I need to make a clarification. I’m not concerned with the often mentioned soul lifting benefits of a great day out with Dogs.

The question isn’t about us, but the Birds. In times of plenty we can kill many, however should we do the same in lesser years.

The peaks are great, however historically the peaks have shown to be a downward trend….while historically the daily limit has remained the same.
West Nile Virus is being said to be a problem with Bird survival, yet some they are saying have genetic resistance. Are the extra Birds we kill because of the legal limit, some which may be Birds that can pass on the same….and some for sure can….worth it during years of fewer Birds?
And especially late season winter Birds. They are survivors that made it thru a hunting season, predators and maybe even beat WNV.

And don’t be fooled by the old line of good year/bad year and they balance out. I had the chance to talk with some of guys who were old back in the 70’s. Their peaks were crazy higher than our best.

Habitat? We have a lot of it. The decline is not always because of it.

Taking a species down to numbers were it can’t repopulate a large area has happened more than once.

Wild Ruffed Grouse are the King….killing the King should be done with consideration of who replaces him.

Battue your question reaches far beyond Grouse.

We intrust quota's and our Biologist, but for states it is a money game! State Management even by the best of the best isn't accurate down to the specific season or seasons in question. Big Game animals in my opinion are easier to justify, they tend to rebound better and have a better management system in place. Birds are another story. Lets look at Duck numbers historically not good, and yet we still killem. I myself am guilty.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I don't rely on biologists to determine what is acceptable, neither should you or any hunter. What they post is a max legal limit to prevent the kill crazy from going too far. Like drinking we have to self impose our cutoffs based on the intimate knowledge of the ground we hunt. We know what the game in our special spots can take. Stewardship is the responsibility of everyone every time we pick up a gun and enter the field. A true hunter has a heart that tells him it's time to stop, whether in a duck blind with a half dozen others or walking miles of grassland alone. It changes hour to hour and day to day. A biologist in the employ of the game departments can't possibly be expected to do that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just got home recently from a 3 day trip in the North Maine Woods along the Quebec border. My buddy and I were breaking in his 9 month old German wired hair pointer. We flushed 68 grouse, and 2 woodcock in those 3 days. Shot 20 grouse. Road hunters have been complaining about no birds this year. You look at all the crops in the birds we shot and most were full of mushrooms. No grit needed. Plenty of birds if you were willing to get into the coverts. We noticed this year a lot of really, really big bodied birds. A lot larger than normal.

Last edited by GuideGun; 10/12/21.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There’s an article in the new issue of Gun Dog magazine about ruffed grouse. Haven’t read it yet though

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The grouse/ quail situation seems to be one that can’t be solved. Lots of ideas as to why populations struggle. Ask about the reductions in quail down here and you will get lots of differing opinions. I really miss the quail hunting traditions that we had down here. The dogs, the guns, the stories etc. It is good to know that the grouse is fairing some better. I’d love to see both species thrive once again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw the GC watch it happen in Pa. Hunters told them Birds were in a major decline…their response was habitat deterioration. Many knowledgeable hunters told them we have great covers with few to no Birds. And for years were ignored….The GC had the degrees, the hunters only boots on the ground.

Finally they went out-with some of the same hunters- and were shown many great covers that should hold Birds.

They ignored the situation for at least 15 years. All the while bragging about their Deer program. Well, great Deer and Grouse covers are almost identical. It should have been obvious to any that had a couple clues re Grouse….something was going on.

And finally????? "Oh look here what we found....West Nile Virus."

Yet they practically had to be spoon fed to acknowledge they had fumbled the ball.

You could make the limit 10….but if you have no Birds what difference would it make.

Truth.

I'm not too awfully far from you. Back in the 80's a couple or 3 of us would spend an afternoon with our housedog............an American Cocker that would flush and retrieve anything that had wings............and have 30+ flushes as the norm.

Truth be told.........today, our grouse cover is BETTER than what it was then due to timbering and habitat improvement efforts on our part. I have not seen a ruffed grouse on our 285 acres in probably 5 years and I haven't seen 3 in the last 10 years.

Every year we get a gang of guys together for the opening day of bear season. Usually between 12 and 20 guys. We push out the best (nastiest) thickets you can imagine. IDEAL bear, whitetail and grouse cover. EVERY year for the last decade....... at the end of the day, I ask the whole group if they saw a grouse. I am still waiting on my first "yes". So, that's (conservatively) 800 man hours in ideal grouse habitat with zero flushes.

In my part of PA 2D the ruffed grouse is functionally extinct.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
These pics are from three weeks ago in NW Wisconsin. A couple of days of hard hunting and put on a lot of miles in the thick stuff. 25 flushes a day or more, but of course very few of those did we ever get a shot at.

Attached Images
October 2021 Grouse Woodcock B.jpg (32.92 KB, 112 downloads)
October 2021 Grouse Woodcock.jpg (29.08 KB, 112 downloads)
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by GuideGun
I don't find it particularly hard to shoot a limit the last few years. But I'm fine going home empty handed as well. Enjoying these beautiful birds, getting outside, and taking in the sights and sounds is more important.

That's good to hear. The bird numbers where I hunt in Vermont have been terrible.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Theeck
Originally Posted by GuideGun
I don't find it particularly hard to shoot a limit the last few years. But I'm fine going home empty handed as well. Enjoying these beautiful birds, getting outside, and taking in the sights and sounds is more important.

That's good to hear. The bird numbers where I hunt in Vermont have been terrible.

Yes. Agreed, in the NEK at least. Really sparse.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Nope. The bag limit is a maximum, not a quota, and hunting is not a job. When I was at work, I had to make a quota. Hunting is my day off.

^This^ ...... I shot a limit of grouse here one day last week. That's the 1st time I've done that since moving here in 1985. If I get one or two, I'm just as happy.

Nothing better than a nice October day out with the dog roaming the old homesteads no matter how many birds you see.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Perhaps I need to make a clarification. I’m not concerned with the often mentioned soul lifting benefits of a great day out with Dogs.

The question isn’t about us, but the Birds. In times of plenty we can kill many, however should we do the same in lesser years.

The peaks are great, however historically the peaks have shown to be a downward trend….while historically the daily limit has remained the same.
West Nile Virus is being said to be a problem with Bird survival, yet some they are saying have genetic resistance. Are the extra Birds we kill because of the legal limit, some which may be Birds that can pass on the same….and some for sure can….worth it during years of fewer Birds?
And especially late season winter Birds. They are survivors that made it thru a hunting season, predators and maybe even beat WNV.

And don’t be fooled by the old line of good year/bad year and they balance out. I had the chance to talk with some of guys who were old back in the 70’s. Their peaks were crazy higher than our best.

Habitat? We have a lot of it. The decline is not always because of it.

Taking a species down to numbers were it can’t repopulate a large area has happened more than once.

Wild Ruffed Grouse are the King….killing the King should be done with consideration of who replaces him.

habitat is most certainly the biggest reason for a decline in grouse populations. they NEED early successional growth forests, especially new aspen growth.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Nope. The bag limit is a maximum, not a quota, and hunting is not a job. When I was at work, I had to make a quota. Hunting is my day off.

^This^ ...... I shot a limit of grouse here one day last week. That's the 1st time I've done that since moving here in 1985. If I get one or two, I'm just as happy.

Nothing better than a nice October day out with the dog roaming the old homesteads no matter how many birds you see.

This is true, but there has to be a reasonable chance of contact with birds. I could have continued to keep a dog to quail hunt with; but with little likelihood of finding birds, it becomes nothing more than walking the dog. To be hunting, there has to be something to hunt ("I kill in order to have hunted"...Jose Ortega y Gasset).

Just like wetting a line in a swimming pool isn't fishing.

Last edited by There_Ya_Go; 11/18/21.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 69 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.