Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If that is the first rifle season, then you probably won't need your pack boots much, if at all. I hunted elk in that area and the guys that hunted there every year usually just wore hiking boots or tennis shoes. The reason was that they wanted a light weight boot that wouldn't feel like cement blocks after a couple of days of walking the mountains. For most people (including myself), I would recommend a light weight, Goretex boot that had about 200-400 grams of Thinsulate. I used a 600 gram Danner all leather, 10" boot. It was too hot for everything but early morning and way too heavy. I bought some Cabelas/Meindl Ibex boots for next time.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." Plato
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've had good luck with Rocky BearClaws with the 800gram insulation. I've hunted outside of craig since 1998, either the 2nd or 3rd season, and the rockys have worked perfect.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I don't even know what a dang "schnee" is?

Of course you don't you live too far east!!

To a person everyone I know personally from MT has either a pair of Schnee's, White's or both.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I don't even know what a dang "schnee" is?

Of course you don't you live too far east!!

To a person everyone I know personally from MT has either a pair of Schnee's, White's or both.

um.... "Whites"?

you got me again..

smile

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to all,

I ordered a pair of 13" Schnees yesterday. As for wool clothes I think I will pass. My outfitter says he would rather see me buy a set of Cabelas MT-050, or Sitka raingear.

Can't wait to go.

Coop.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have worn out a lot of boots, worked outdoors and in the mountains most of my life. The best I have ever had are Wesco's I had custom made to fit my feet. Wore em working today and they make my Danner 18000's feel cheap, almost. Whites are good but Wesco's arch isn't quite as high, more to my liking. If I was going to spend much time in the snow pac's are the only way to go, those Schnee's sure look good. Nick's makes a awful good looking boot but I have never had a pair.

http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/product_listing.asp

http://www.danner.com/p2p/searchRes...mp;sortby=price&asc=false&page=1

http://www.nicksboots.com/index.htm

http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/index.php

Last edited by 700LH; 08/24/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cabela's Mtn. Hunter when there's no snow, Schnee's (with xtra liner) when there is. Add some gaitors for the deep stuff...really helps keep my lower end dry and comfy warm.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wool by far out performs anything else I have. I've had it all over the years. What can I put on that will allow it to be hot or cold(ya know folks wear wool business suits....) I cover it with Marmot precip rain gear if needed.

I cut up a friends moose a while back, in wool pants. Started at 25 degrees or so, ended up totally skinned, gutted, quartered and loaded a few hours later in the sun and around 60-70 and though I was warm, I was not horrible....

YMMV. Plus my wool doesn't stink like my synthetics do.... Next buy is filson whipcords for my wife and I instead of cheap wool....

Good luck!!! Make sure those boots are broken in, scares me to see folks ordering boots just before a hunt... I usually make sure we have new ones a year out, broken in and checked for any flaws taht might pop up, middle of a hunt is a bad time to find a weak seam etc...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been wearing danner super rainforests in the wet stuff and danner elk hunters in the dry stuff for many years with never a complaint. My elk hunters finally were no recoverable so i bought lowa sheephunters andso far amvery happy. fit of the lowas is even better thenthe danners i love so much.

I have whites for wildland fire work when i did that and they are great still wear them alot and they still fit like a glove.

For snow nothing beats the schnee pacs.

Is it just me or are the best US boots all west coast companies?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
I have worn out a lot of boots, worked outdoors and in the mountains most of my life. The best I have ever had are Wesco's I had custom made to fit my feet. Wore em working today and they make my Danner 18000's feel cheap, almost. Whites are good but Wesco's arch isn't quite as high, more to my liking. If I was going to spend much time in the snow pac's are the only way to go, those Schnee's sure look good. Nick's makes a awful good looking boot but I have never had a pair.

http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/product_listing.asp

http://www.danner.com/p2p/searchRes...mp;sortby=price&asc=false&page=1

http://www.nicksboots.com/index.htm

http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/index.php

you, being an Idahoian really ought to look at hoffmans. I have several pairs of whites, two pairs of nicks and now two pair of of hoffmans. I bought the hoffmans for less then 1/2 price of the whites/nicks and can say the build quality is at least 99% of the big two. their pack boots flat rock! I went to their store in kellogg and was able to buy a pair of custom built boots that were basicly a 10" whites smokejumper but with a gore-tex liner and a pair of 12" lace to toes with a double halfslip. I went in the store with $400, I left with half that and two pair of boots.....that was 1/2 of retail....good people and good stuff too. again as a whites packs owner, look at the hoffmans!

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Shcnees are about as good as it gets for cold weather and loads of snow. In Colorado at that time of year seems it can be pretty warm, would go with 400gram insulation in a lighter boot and keep the Scnees for late season

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
NW CO is usually mild that time of year. But it can be wet and extremely muddy. Cool mornings, warm afternoons and cold nights. Any good leather boot with mud shedding sole would be a good choice.

Wool pants are never a bad idea. They shed water well, retain heat when wet, and dry quickly. If it's warm, don't use long underwear and you'll be fine. I especially like the German Army wool pants that you can find at good surplus stores. Lots of pockets for gear so that you can leave the fanny and backpacks in camp and extremely well built.

As others have already said, nothing beats a good pair of waterproof gaiters to keep snow/mud off your pants and the cold winds from blowing up your shorts!!! I like the Cabelas Goretex and camo models. Be careful to get the non nylon/polyester models. Otherwise, deaf deer and elk will hear you swishing through the county.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what current danner boot compares to the elk hunter??? It seems as if that boot is no longer in Danner's invetory

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Elk Hunters are a Cabelas exclusive item....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read so many good things here about the Danner Elk hunters I went to Cabela's web site and took a look. Now I have a question. Don't you guys miss not having a boot with a good heel like a logger type boot when your out in the woods? Owned boots with no or almost no heel and I found I missed it a lot, especially going down steep areas with loose or gooey wet material. A good heel will dig in and not slip like a flatter bottom shoe can. I know, I learned the hard way and I have been on my butt from boots with not enough heel.
I would like to try a boot that laced way down toward your toes like the elk hunter's do.

High Country,
I will be ordering a catalog from Hoffman's. Good looking boot at a very reasonable price if they are as good as they look. Thanks for the heads up I had not seen them before. Even at retail they are just over half what I paid for my Wesco's.
Last time I was in Kellogg is was so durn icy it was all I could do to get up the onramp in 4 wheel drive pulling a trailer. Wasn't sure if I was gonna make it or not.

Last edited by 700LH; 08/29/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One problem with the Schnees is that they do not come in wide. A few years ago I stopped in at the store in Bozeman and inquired as to whether they were available in wide because I have wide feet. The guy said, "don't worry", all you need to do is order 1 size larger and that will take care of it. DONT fall for that line. sure, it helps take care of the problem of them not being wide enough, but now when your walking you feet move back and forth in the boot without the support you need. I ended up selling the things for a loss.

I think what is needed is a process where a guy could dunk a pair of his favorite leather boots in a vat of rubber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22WRF

I think what is needed is a process where a guy could dunk a pair of his favorite leather boots in a vat of rubber.

That sales man otta be fired.
If you want boots that fit perfect, have them custom made, at least mine do.
Wesco will still build you custom boot to fit your feet, I can personally tell ya how well they fit, look here.
http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/about.asp

Whites used to but I couldn't find a link on their web site. I do know they will not just let you order a pair without your feet being measured, that includes pac's.

Nicks will also build a custom fit boot.
http://www.nicksboots.com/custom_fittings.htm

No one has mentioned Drews boots over in Namath Falls Or. They make a good boot also.

Good boots taken care of properly don't leak anyway. I have worked walking in and out of a creek a few inches deep all day every day for a couple of weeks at least, and I always went home with dry feet, or all day in a pouring Western Cascade's mountain rain. Same result, dry feet at the end of the day.

Last edited by 700LH; 08/30/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
" No one has mentioned Drews boots over in Namath Falls Or. They make a good boot also."

Did you mean Klamath Falls?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Did you mean Klamath Falls?"
yaath I did, thanks for the correction.

Last edited by 700LH; 08/31/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
every man deserves at least one pair of custom boots.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.