-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
I don't think I have posted here before, I have been reading adn trying to learn something. I am retired and just very recently got into hunting. I know have a very steep learning curve. I have a deer rifle and a bow and that is about it. Like I said, I have never hunted much but I have have been hiking and camping and fishing all the time over the years. I don't expect you guys could tell me how, just point me in the right direction to find a thread that is very informative. I thought the NWTF would be a great place to start, now I am not so sure.

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
They want turkey hunting done their way and everyone else be damned.. I despise those bastards.

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mak2
I don't think I have posted here before, I have been reading adn trying to learn something. I am retired and just very recently got into hunting. I know have a very steep learning curve. I have a deer rifle and a bow and that is about it. Like I said, I have never hunted much but I have have been hiking and camping and fishing all the time over the years. I don't expect you guys could tell me how, just point me in the right direction to find a thread that is very informative. I thought the NWTF would be a great place to start, now I am not so sure.

The NWTF is more about promoting the sport and conservation then education.

You could joing the local chapter and meet up with people to get education. The organization & publication dont do much from a national level.

Your state DNR may have training seminars and clubs may put on stuff.

Old gobbler forum may be good.

Good luck.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

If you have turkeys to hunt you can find a mentor to help. That's the shortest path. Turkeys are
not complicated. They're difficult. Hunting with an experienced killer will save you from heading down false paths.

But, again, the critical piece of the puzzle for you is having plenty of unpressured gobblers to hunt.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'd sign my entire bank account over to the NWTF before I will give a dime to the NRA.

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
You are dead wrong about the NRA....if it wasn't for the NRA we might be shooting flint locks.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by humdinger

The NWTF is more about promoting the sport and conservation then education.

You could joing the local chapter and meet up with people to get education. The organization & publication dont do much from a national level.

Your state DNR may have training seminars and clubs may put on stuff.

Old gobbler forum may be good.

Good luck.

Going to a local NWTF banquet is a good way to meet other hunters, make hunting connections, and get into the turkey hunting community.

You may find a mentor, or a hunting partner - it's all about networking and making friends that are willing to help - but you have to pay the annual membership to get in the door.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/14/21.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I'd sign my entire bank account over to the NWTF before I will give a dime to the NRA.

What other organization do you support that is fighting for our gun rights? ......Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah i was a member of the NWTF for a few years till i figured them out, I found that they are not much more than a collection agency, I got weary of their constant requests for donations and dropped my membership......Hb

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

What other organization do you support that is fighting for our gun rights? ......Hb

I'd prefer those fighting for my gun rights not actively fight against them...i.e., bumpstocks.

As for who I support, that's my business. My money goes where I feel it will actually be used to do something other than buy designer suits and throw parties.

I will say the rescinding a life membership with the NRA is harder than it should be.

As for the NWTF, I have seen a considerable amount of boots on the ground work. Habitat improvement, landowner assistance, etc. They have been instrumental, at least around here, in changes to turkey bag limits in an effort to benefit the overall flock. Without the NWTF, the state would likely never have gone to a one time state, and gotten rid of fall rifle hunting...both things that should have happened years ago.

Last edited by liliysdad; 12/17/21.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I purchased a lifetime membership in the NRA a long time ago, way before the crap that's happening now started. I'll leave the membership be, but they get nothing more from me until they get their house in order. Something I tell them every chance I get. The NWTF, on a national level, to me, is pretty useless. But I support the local chapter by me, as well as the local chapter of Pheasants Forever, as much as I can. Bunch of great people in those 2 groups.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah not a bad thing to support either organization as they both probly do some good...there are certainly much worse things to put your money in....Hb

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
If you want to help turkey numbers, look into Turkeys For Tomorrow

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Awe....."Turkeys for Tomorrow".

That sounds so sweet

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

I'd prefer those fighting for my gun rights not actively fight against them...i.e., bumpstocks.

As for who I support, that's my business. My money goes where I feel it will actually be used to do something other than buy designer suits and throw parties.

I will say the rescinding a life membership with the NRA is harder than it should be.

As for the NWTF, I have seen a considerable amount of boots on the ground work. Habitat improvement, landowner assistance, etc. They have been instrumental, at least around here, in changes to turkey bag limits in an effort to benefit the overall flock. Without the NWTF, the state would likely never have gone to a one time state, and gotten rid of fall rifle hunting...both things that should have happened years ago.

No one needed a barrel burning "bump stock"....it was a design that should have never slipped under the radar.

I agree the NWTF has been "instrumental"...instrumental in sticking their noses where they don't belong and getting bag limits reduced instead of finding the real cause of the turkey population tilt.

"Rifles for turkey hunting"....I've never hunted turkeys with a rifle but it was a long time tradition and would present a challenge in the woods.

For the modern day decoy toting blind sitter that thinks he's a turkey hunter to want rifles outlawed is understandable.

I think enclosed blinds and turkey decoys should be outlawed....

That would help the turkey population more than a reduction in bag limit or getting a type of firearm outlawed.

Ps...you lost me on "Without the NWTF, the state would likely never have gone to a one time state"

What is a one time state ?

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah i was wondering what a "one time State " was Myself .....or maybe that's "his business" 😁.Hb

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Rifles are the only sporting way for turkey. No matter how you hunt. Killing a gobbler with a shotgun is nothing to be proud of. I have done it both ways. Lots of times.

Molon Labe
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There are Rios and Merriam turkeys then there are Eastern Wild Turkeys.

Head East with your shotgun and you'll either become "proud" or humbled.

My money is on humbled

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah My turkey hunting grounds consists of steep densely wooded mountains and I hunted with a Remington Model Seven .222 for several years but I found that the rifle actually cost me several turkeys that would have been easy kills with a shotgun so I went back to My 12ga shotgun years ago, it is a much better Turkey slayer for dense woods and I like to eat turkey breast too much 😁......Hb

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LFC
[

I think enclosed blinds and turkey decoys should be outlawed....
?

Why outlaw decoys and blinds?

My state gives me one week to hunt and I will sit in a blind in a thunderstorm if needed.

Now we don't have the huge population of birds like some southern states and its one tom in the spring and either in the fall.

Last edited by humdinger; 12/31/21.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.