-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

https://www.peninsulaclarion.com/news/hobo-jim-opens-up-about-recent-terminal-cancer-diagnosis/

James Varsos, better known to Alaskans as singer-songwriter Hobo Jim, announced over the weekend that he has been given less than a year to live after being diagnosed with end-stage cancer.

The performer, who resides on the Kenai Peninsula, wrote on Facebook on Saturday that he had been experiencing “intense pain” during the Alaska State Fair at the beginning of the month. After traveling to play a few more gigs in the Lower 48, Varsos was hospitalized in Nashville, Tennessee.

“After three days of pricks, pokes and probes I was diagnosed with end stage cancer,” he wrote on Facebook. “The cancer (which I didn’t know I had) had spread through my system and had several very large tumors.”

Doctors gave Varsos three to six months to live, he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
0 seconds of 0 seconds
The singer-songwriter has recorded multiple albums throughout his career and has collaborated with artists such as Reba McEntire, Ricky Nelson and Randy Travis, according to Travel Alaska. Varsos was also named Alaska’s official “state balladeer” in 1994.

The performer spent many years working in Alaska as a fisherman, logger and a cowboy, according to his Facebook biography, before taking up music.

“I would like to say I am not afraid,” Varsos wrote on Facebook after his diagnosis. “It is, however, very hard to feel the pain of those I leave behind, especially that of my beautiful wife of 42 years.”

He wrote that he has had a blessed life up until this point.

“I have been able to make a living making people happy,” Varsos wrote. “I have seen a great deal of the world and all in all, life has been grand and fulfilling. Keep me in your hearts Alaska as you will be forever in mine.”

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never heard of him, but sad indeed.

No way i can believe that we can send folks to the moon and beyond and can’t cure cancer….

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Very sad news.
Saw him on TV a few years ago.
The guy harkens back to an earlier time in Alaska.
Looks like he's facing his fate with bravery and grace.

Prayer sent from south Jersey for God to be with Hobo Jim.

Jeff

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife was telling me about this last week. Sad news indeed. I guess his daughter dies a little bit ago as well.

Last edited by Hudge; 09/27/21.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
He was a good guy, and a great representative of the state of Alaska. So sad to have read that several days ago. Sorry to hear that there seems to be no hope.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sad for me to hear this after I had good news.God needs a little picken too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me, the wife and grand daughter spent a fun fishing day with him on a mutual friends boat in July. The weather and seas were perfect and the fishing was good.

From his posting it appears as though he is at peace with the Lord Jesus and thankful for the life he was given. I still believe in miracles and will continue to pray for his recovery.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Damm sad chit .... that was way to quick....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I took my mom and Grandmother(she was in her 80's) to Hobo Jim's grand opening in Homer. He treated my Grandma like she was a 20 year old.
Made her a memory she talked about till she died at 102. He did not have to pay her any attention due to the place being pretty packed, but he did.

Hobo Jim was a stand up decent guy. Sorry to hear of his passing.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sorry to hear it came so quickly. Sounds like he was prepared to meet his maker as we all should be. RIP Jim. You will be missed.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RIP Hobo Jim.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hobo truly loved Alaska and it's people. I have a picture of him with his last caribou and he really enjoyed the bottom fishing we did in July. Catching black rock fish, yellow eye, lings and halibut put a smile on his face.

I met his wife of many years a week later when we visited our mutual friend on the Kenai. They showed up in and old pick up and looked like they were enjoying life. He was a humble man in many ways.

Put another log on the the big camp fire Hobo, I recon I will be along before to much time passes. Thanks for the memories!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,297
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.