Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I am sorry this has probably been covered before... but it looks like SAMMI sets the max pressure on the 06 at 60k psi and the 270 at 65k. Is that because of the older rifles chambered in the 30-06? If so, can a new bolt action 30-06 be safely pushed up to the 65k range? Reason I asked I was perusing the thread of "good 30-06 loads" and noticed quite a few were over the max shown in reloading manuals. I have a new Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 and want some solid 180 grain loads, but do not want to venture into unsafe territory. Along with that, if it is safe to assume 65k psi will be a good working max, is there a way to figure out how much more powder that would take, or how much more velocity that will yield? I see a number of guys going 3-4 grains over max, seems to me that may be a bit more than 65k psi...but that is just conjecture on my part.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In a Vanguard it would be quite safe to load the 30-06 to 270 pressure.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by mathman

I agree and the difficulty is knowing the relative pressures of the various 30-06 and 270 loads. Testing 5 factory 165 gr 30-06 loads had pressures ranging from 47,000 psi to 61,700, with those velocities being 2717 fps and 2849.

The interesting thing about handloading is that every component (bullets, brass, powder and primer) has a not inconsequential amount of variance. My experience is that by the time we see the "normal" pressure signs (sticky extraction, blown primers, etc.) we are way over SAMMI pressures. I have a 30-06 case that experienced 73,000 psi and it looks just like one that experienced 55,000 psi. in the same rifle.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I think the 270win has a longer case neck. Could be a contributing factor? I honestly don't know.

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by logger

I agree and the difficulty is knowing the relative pressures of the various 30-06 and 270 loads. Testing 5 factory 165 gr 30-06 loads had pressures ranging from 47,000 psi to 61,700, with those velocities being 2717 fps and 2849.

The interesting thing about handloading is that every component (bullets, brass, powder and primer) has a not inconsequential amount of variance. My experience is that by the time we see the "normal" pressure signs (sticky extraction, blown primers, etc.) we are way over SAMMI pressures. I have a 30-06 case that experienced 73,000 psi and it looks just like one that experienced 55,000 psi. in the same rifle.

And I have heard John state the same thing regarding "pressure signs" and that is what gives me pause. I see many say "no signs of pressure" when they are 3-4 grains over max in the 30-06. So maybe there is no simple answer to how much I can safely increase powder charge and still be no greater than 65k psi

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
An approximate rule for single-based powders is that pressure increases at about twice the rate of velocity. In this instance, loading the .30-06 to 65,000 PSI increase pressure over SAAMI maximum average by a little over 8%, resulting in about a 4% increase in velocity. With a "standard" 180-grain load at 2700 fps, this means velocity would increase about 108 fps.

Also, single-based powders usually increase velocity at the same rate as adding powder: If you increase the powder charge 4%, then muzzle velocity normally increases 4%.

With double-based powders, pressures and velocity tends to increase more rapidly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Originally Posted by logger

And I have heard John state the same thing regarding "pressure signs" and that is what gives me pause. I see many say "no signs of pressure" when they are 3-4 grains over max in the 30-06. So maybe there is no simple answer to how much I can safely increase powder charge and still be no greater than 65k psi

As a rule if your primer pockets are still snug but not as much as a new case, your pressure is OK. Ultimately the brass is the key element. For example, if you annealed the case head and then loaded a vey mild load the primer pocket would expand a lot, primer would drop out.

A new case that has loose primer pockets after 3 shots is too high.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Some of the recommended 30-06 loads specify a longer than normal COAL. That gives just a bit more case capacity.

But the short answer is, I don't think SAAMI maximum loads for the 270 are ideal. If you check the reloading data, most stop respectfully short of the 65K max. Since the propellant gas can't read the headstamp, loading 30-06 to 65 KPSI is as safe as loading the 270 to that level.

I have pressure measuring equipment, and generally run my 30-06 at about 58 KPSI.

Be not weary in well doing.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by denton

Since the propellant gas can't read the headstamp, loading 30-06 to 65 KPSI is as safe as loading the 270 to that level.

That’s what we are saying. wink

Is there a problem ? confused

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
I think the 270win has a longer case neck. Could be a contributing factor? I honestly don't know.

No.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by jwall

Since the propellant gas can't read the headstamp, loading 30-06 to 65 KPSI is as safe as loading the 270 to that level.

Jerry

Why would there be in a modern bolt action?

John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Some of the recommended 30-06 loads specify a longer than normal COAL. That gives just a bit more case capacity.

But the short answer is, I don't think SAAMI maximum loads for the 270 are ideal. If you check the reloading data, most stop respectfully short of the 65K max. Since the propellant gas can't read the headstamp, loading 30-06 to 65 KPSI is as safe as loading the 270 to that level.

I have pressure measuring equipment, and generally run my 30-06 at about 58 KPSI.

I personally have seen two early Remington 740's both in .270, heavily damaged...SUPPOSEDLY with factory ammo. One looked pretty good except for being locked up tight and one had a gap betwixt barrel and action face and a splintered wood forearm. Neither shooter admitted to handloads. The one that we were able to open eventually...the Federal brass was parted but did not look that bad, leading us to believe the rifle failed..with just a cursory inspection. I don't know what the final outcome was with Remington. Neither shooter was injured.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jevyod
I am sorry this has probably been covered before... but it looks like SAMMI sets the max pressure on the 06 at 60k psi and the 270 at 65k. Is that because of the older rifles chambered in the 30-06? If so, can a new bolt action 30-06 be safely pushed up to the 65k range? Reason I asked I was perusing the thread of "good 30-06 loads" and noticed quite a few were over the max shown in reloading manuals. I have a new Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 and want some solid 180 grain loads, but do not want to venture into unsafe territory. Along with that, if it is safe to assume 65k psi will be a good working max, is there a way to figure out how much more powder that would take, or how much more velocity that will yield? I see a number of guys going 3-4 grains over max, seems to me that may be a bit more than 65k psi...but that is just conjecture on my part.

If you want 300 magnum performance just buy one. No need to stress your brass or rifle being a hotrodder. Pretty simple really. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke

I personally have seen two early Remington 740's both in .270, heavily damaged...SUPPOSEDLY with factory ammo. One looked pretty good except for being locked up tight and one had a gap betwixt barrel and action face and a splintered wood forearm. Neither shooter admitted to handloads. The one that we were able to open eventually...the Federal brass was parted but did not look that bad, leading us to believe the rifle failed..with just a cursory inspection. I don't know what the final outcome was with Remington. Neither shooter was injured.

About 15 years ago my wife fired a round of 140 grain Remington Green Box Core-Lokt in her 7mm08 at the range and it locked up the bolt. I had a gunsmith remove the bolt and there was no major damage, but the factory round was over pressure for sure. It's the only time I've experienced this with a rifle. I had a commercial 9mm reload lock up a Glock once too. No problems with my own handloads so far.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[quote=jwall][quote=denton]

Jerry
———————-

Why would there be in a modern bolt action?
———————

Thank You Sir.

I’ve done it for years. No brass issues. No stuck
bolts. No eye damage. No fingers gone.

And NO, it’s NOT 300 Mag Velocity.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Actually I’m shooting H 205 under 165 HBTSP
@ 2900 + and have been long before H 205 disappeared......

In a Rem M Six PUMP.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fellas

THE reason I have 1 can of H 205 left is that it is the only powder I use in the 06 with 165s.
I also haven't hunted the 06 every year. 2016 was the last year TILL this season.

I have been stingy using H 205 so I have some left. shocked

When it is gone I have 4 lbs of H 4350 to take its place. smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I have cause to question factory pressures in some cartridge loadings. As most of us do, I have picked up range brass that is obviously in great shape. One of my last pickups was some Hornady Superformance in .270 Winchester. Brass appears new. It was on the ground, empty boxes in the trash can. Got both. At home looking it over, all 34 cases had obviously cratered primers. I mean a sharp ridge around the firing pin impact and flattened surface outside that. Boxes appeared new as well. Everything appeared to be factory fresh. But what pressure was required to flatten and crater primers in factory ammunition?

Also have 19 nickeled 7mmWSM Winchester factory loaded empty’s I got with a rifle so chambered. Once fired said the seller. Again, primer strikes are cratered with flattening of the remaining primer surface. In these two examples “tradition pressure signs” were exhibited in factory ammo. IIRC the 7mmWSM is a 65k cartridge like the .270. But again, what pressure is required to leave such an imprint. Inquiring minds.

Last edited by shootem; 09/27/21.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
shootem

I’m not a gun writer although I write about guns. grin

There is at least 1 reason you can get cratered primers W/O excess pressure.
An oversized firing pin hole in the bolt face will allow the primer cup to extrude as
in excessive pressure.

So I’d question that too.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 09/28/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use 30-06 brass necked down to 6.5-06 at over 70,000 psi.
I can't use 270 brass because the neck gets too long for the chamber that my 6.5-06 A square reamer made.....unless I want to trim brass:(

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.