Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JimH
My .410 bird,Winchester model 42 skeet,Super-X # 7.5 lead,18 yards.

Nice!!!! And in close which ups the excitement factor...

Last edited by battue; 07/26/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by JimH
My .410 bird,Winchester model 42 skeet,Super-X # 7.5 lead,18 yards.

Nice!!!! And in close which ups the excitement factor...

Yep, couldn't find any of the new-fangled super shells so went with what I had. Gun was my grandfathers- the 42 and I were both born in 1959-the gun has definitely held up better than me!!!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
winchester 42 and parker dhe grade double are my go to 410 for squirrels

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I hear tell a .410.makes a nice squirrel gun....

Do you use the magic TSS fairy dust shot on squirrels ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Three years in a row, .410 using #9 TSS, all 10" birds.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
... How do you get a fuller, denser pattern? You choke it down.

Or add more shot to the payload. And that's why you are using 9's and not 6's in your .410.

Forgot about this. 😆 How exactly is it you think switching to a different shot makes the pattern of the original shot change? These things do not relate. They're completely different loads. You can't load T9.5s and get lead sixes.

If you want to understand this stuff you really have to let go of the winning an argument nonsense. Try to learn instead.

Lead isn't even in the picture for the .410 past thirty yards. You have to go to to TSS if you want a forty yard pattern. Even then you have to choke it down. Adding more pellets is not an option because you have all you're gonna get already with small TSS and available shot cups.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

My favorite Quail gun 410 Browning O/U, also use it on dove, but not as much as my H&K 20 ga. O/U, don't shoot Turkeys. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RIO7

My favorite Quail gun 410 Browning O/U, also use it on dove, but not as much as my H&K 20 ga. O/U, don't shoot Turkeys. Rio7

Mostly, I don’t shoot turkeys either, just hunt ‘em.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Pappy348, We are covered up with Turkeys, but no one hunts them here, they aren't worth a dam to eat and not worth the trouble to clean and dress.
In my yard Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Or add more shot to the payload. And that's why you are using 9's and not 6's in your .410.

Forgot about this. 😆 How exactly is it you think switching to a different shot makes the pattern of the original shot change? These things do not relate. They're completely different loads. You can't load T9.5s and get lead sixes.

If you want to understand this stuff you really have to let go of the winning an argument nonsense. Try to learn instead.

Lead isn't even in the picture for the .410 past thirty yards. You have to go to to TSS if you want a forty yard pattern. Even then you have to choke it down. Adding more pellets is not an option because you have all you're gonna get already with small TSS and available shot cups.

Bore constriction isn't the only consideration in shotgun patterns. It seems that you are arguing right past my statement without understanding the point. The written word doesn't always convey the message clearly and that's on me. Or maybe you are the one trying to win the argument and didn't take the time to understand the point.

All else equal adding more pellets should make for a fuller pattern. Isn't that the whole point of using TSS in a 410? The ballistic ability of TSS allows smaller pellets to do the same work as larger lead shot which means more TSS pellets in the pattern and so all else equal a fuller denser pattern with fewer gaps and holes in it. Why else use #9.5 size TSS shot? TSS is the only shot that makes a 410 a serious turkey hunting option.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Bore constriction isn't the only consideration in shotgun patterns. It seems that you are arguing right past my statement without understanding the point. The written word doesn't always convey the message clearly and that's on me. Or maybe you are the one trying to win the argument and didn't take the time to understand the point.

All else equal adding more pellets should make for a fuller pattern. Isn't that the whole point of using TSS in a 410? The ballistic ability of TSS allows smaller pellets to do the same work as larger lead shot which means more TSS pellets in the pattern and so all else equal a fuller denser pattern with fewer gaps and holes in it. Why else use #9.5 size TSS shot? TSS is the only shot that makes a 410 a serious turkey hunting option.

There is no adding more pellets. You start with all you'll get limited by penetration ability and available shot cups. The only variable is choke. It's the same regardless of shot material or gauge. You will hit a limit for stuffing in more pellets before you reach your goal for turkey. Then you have to choke it. So, when we're talking about turkey loads we start at the obvious point. Because there's really no point in even discussing the obvious such as adding more pellets. I think this rabbit made a hole already.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would have swore there would be more pellets in the count of 3/4 ounce of #9's than 3/4 ounce of #6's. Lord love a duck!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pound of feathers versus pound of lead….

I think I have become dumber from reading a few posts in this thread.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That is why it's best not to bother reading all this silly horse [bleep]...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I neither hunt birds with a 410 nor a single shot. Too many things to go wrong to use either.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I spent an hour or so yesterday patterning my Browning A5 and Winchester SX4 with 12 gauge 3.5" 00 buck and #5 turkey loads. 10 rounds of each load. My shoulder right now is telling me that a .410 may not be such a bad idea. The A5 is a shoulder separator with these loads.

I had a chance to look at a Mossber 500 turkey gun in .410 with original bottomlamd camo on it day before yesterday. I was this close .. to buying it. What a handy little gun it would be.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Handy for small child.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.