Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
What are these going for these days? Is it worth the tarriff or hold out for a tikka?

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
My 6.5 CM predator shoots better than both of my buddies’ Tikkas in the same cartridge. Not a lot better, but better. I like the Americans due to their safety position, the 70 degree bolt throw and their accuracy. I’ve been looking to get another one or two in different calibers. I think they typically go for $400-$500, sometimes more depending on the chambering if it isn’t in production for left hand.

Tikkas have similar bolt throw and have a smoother action, and by most accounts are probably just as accurate. The other pros for the Tikkas, is they come in stainless and probably more chamberings. I could have gotten a Tikka, but just like the Ruger Americans more.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I seen a 243 American for $599. I thought that was somewhat overpriced

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Yeah that is overpriced. I’ve seen a lot of LH .243 predators for sale lately, but not many of the other available calibers.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
They were under $400. I couldn't go over $500 considering how many used ABolts are around.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't have any RAR. I do have 7 A Bolts. Have them in everything from 7mm-08 to 375. What I like most about them is the safety, the face plate mounted magazine that doesn't fall into the snow, and the low bolt throw. They've all been very accurate and functioned well through a lot of shooting and knocking around. I haven't picked one up for 500 or so in a years. Tells me a lot of others are hording them as well.

I was thinking of picking a couple RAR's up; one in 223 for a beater and another as a doner. Seems 500 is going rate for them, especially in lefty. For those who have them, what are your thoughts on them?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My LH 6.5 CM is probably the most accurate rifle I own mags can be an issue, put mine in a Boyds laminate and inletted it for LH. A call to Ruger and they replaced mag but most can be made to be reliable, dont think you can find an AICS mag for a LH stock. Heavy rifle with the Laminate.

Last edited by kk alaska; 09/29/21.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a left hand RAR in .22-250 and the original factory mags were very poor. I called Ruger about the mag and they sent me a free replacement that had the same issue- the tapered .22-250 rounds would pop up out of the front of the mag, especially bad on warm days when the plastic was softer. I bought a replacement stagger feed mag and all is well. I didn't want the AICS setup. I like the flush mounted mags.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Starbuck
I don't have any RAR. I do have 7 A Bolts. Have them in everything from 7mm-08 to 375. What I like most about them is the safety, the face plate mounted magazine that doesn't fall into the snow, and the low bolt throw. They've all been very accurate and functioned well through a lot of shooting and knocking around. I haven't picked one up for 500 or so in a years. Tells me a lot of others are hording them as well.

I was thinking of picking a couple RAR's up; one in 223 for a beater and another as a doner. Seems 500 is going rate for them, especially in lefty. For those who have them, what are your thoughts on them?

I picked up a lefty A-Bolt II in 30-06 last year around this time for $525. It’s stainless which is a plus and also came threaded with a brake. I like the safety, but don’t like that the gun has to be on fire to rack the action. With the RAP (Ruger American Predator) you can open and close the action with the gun on safe. However, several times I’ve had the RAP bolt handle decock and partially lift and come out of battery when hiking since the bolt can be manipulated with the safety on. The X-Bolt seems to have the most ideal safety to me and I may get one of those in the future I’d they ever come out with a lefty Hells Canyon or Stainless Stalker.

With the A-Bolt I like that it has a magazine, but it just seems silly to have a floor plate and a magazine at the same time. The RAP actually has a smoother bolt than my A-Bolt, but I don’t know if they are all like that or my particular A-Bolt just is t super smooth The A-Bolts synthetic stock is way better than the RAP

I haven’t shot the A-Bolt as much as the RAP. I need to put a better scope on it and get more trigger time.

Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I have a left hand RAR in .22-250 and the original factory mags were very poor. I called Ruger about the mag and they sent me a free replacement that had the same issue- the tapered .22-250 rounds would pop up out of the front of the mag, especially bad on warm days when the plastic was softer. I bought a replacement stagger feed mag and all is well. I didn't want the AICS setup. I like the flush mounted mags.

When you say you got a stagger feed magazine, are you referring to the 450 bushmaster mags? If not, what magazine did you buy that solved your feeding issues?

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
If all I can find is 243 it may not be worth it. I really have no use for the 243. If I want to use a deer or vermin rifle I will use an AR in 5.56 and my 6.8spc. I've got good 7-08, 300 Sav, 308 win, 30-06, 270, 300 wsm, and various 338 and 348's to go after game. It's kind of a bugger we have so few lefty options and mag issues on top of that.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Loper

When you say you got a stagger feed magazine, are you referring to the 450 bushmaster mags? If not, what magazine did you buy that solved your feeding issues?

I imagine he means these:

https://shopruger.com/Ruger-American-Rifle-4-Round-308-Multi-Caliber-Magazine/productinfo/90689/

I bought one for my .308, it works great, the original rotary has been demoted to spare status. Can't speak for .22-250.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Sorry to be late posting. I had cataract surgery yesterday and followup today and have been away. Son of the Gael tagged the correct mag. I later wound up with a Bushmaster mag that works as well.

I like the staggered mag better since the Bushmaster mag hangs down about an inch.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 09/30/21.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I didn’t even know those stagger feed mags existed. Thanks for posting it and providing feedback on them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by Loper

I imagine he means these:

https://shopruger.com/Ruger-American-Rifle-4-Round-308-Multi-Caliber-Magazine/productinfo/90689/

I bought one for my .308, it works great, the original rotary has been demoted to spare status. Can't speak for .22-250.
I may need to pick up one of those!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The single stack 450 mags have proven more reliable.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
If all I can find is 243 it may not be worth it. I really have no use for the 243. If I want to use a deer or vermin rifle I will use an AR in 5.56 and my 6.8spc. I've got good 7-08, 300 Sav, 308 win, 30-06, 270, 300 wsm, and various 338 and 348's to go after game. It's kind of a bugger we have so few lefty options and mag issues on top of that.

I recently saw a few LH.308s on gunbroker for a little less than $500 if you are interested.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The staggered mags I mentioned are on sale for $20 at Midway right now.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...amp;utm_content=product-description-link

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,853 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,177
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.