Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Don’t know if anyone is aware or not, but Great Northern Guns will be closing shop soon. I asked why and was told the 3 acres they sit on is too valuable. Sales on just about everything in the store.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is a shame, but Joe gave it all for many years. Last time I was in there was just before spring bear and it was obvious that things were winding down.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Schitt........... That sucks. I bought a .22 pistol from them last fall. I'd planned on going in this fall and crossing something else off the list.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where Yog going to work at now? Cabelas? Bass pro?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe is in his mid 80s and ex wife is deceased. They had a hell of a run!

I was in there a month ago and there were some nice lever guns and Stevens single shots as well as a couple M12s.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's a shame. There are no more good gun shops like GNG. Joe knew his stuff and wasn't afraid to deal with collectables and used guns. They will certainly be missed and won't ever be replaced. Joe is one of the first guys I met when I moved to Anchorage in Jan 1981. We grew to be good friends. He had his own struggle with cancer. This is the first I'd heard about Anita passing. She knew business and Joe knew the guns.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
This is the first I'd heard about Anita passing. She knew business and Joe knew the guns.

Anita knew guns.......She had likely the largest collection of "Stevens" firearms. When they first had concealed carry permits in Alaska, Anita and myself and all the employees, we all did our shooting qualification together with 50 caliber revolver and 50 caliber auto. That way we were legal to carry any handgun.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Knowledgeable gun store employees are a rarity but GNG workers knew their stuff. I used to visit the store at least once a month just to see what odd ball left handed rifles might appear and usually found one that followed me home.
Donuts, decent coffee, 3-4 old timers sitting around shooting the breeze. Just a classic style of old time customer service. Had to be careful where you parked otherwise the snow/ice would slide off the roof onto your vehicle.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Through the years I bought two Parker shotguns there and always drooled over the high-end bolt guns and collectible lever guns in the racks. I'm sad to hear about it closing.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A

Anyone remember "Bill Morrow" who worked at GNG, and the guy who shot the big moose two days before the season opened.......(insert DRUM ROLL) in the parking lot of ABC TV station, a block from GNG right on Tudor Road....???

The guy had just arrived in Alaska to hunt moose, walked into GNG just as they opened, and asked if they knew where he might see a "big" moose. Bill said, I just seen one a few minutes ago, standing on the sidewalk a block that way, in front of the TV station. Bill thought he was a tourist just wanting to see a Alaska moose. Guy leaves GNG, gets his rifle, walks around the corner, and "blasts" the moose, right in the center of the parking lot. Cops came in the store all pissed'off at Bill. It really was a large trophy moose. Needless to say, it was "all over" the evening news. And front page of both news papers.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great northern guns was my favorite. I guess my last purchase was a few weeks ago and the shelves were bare. They had a box of 338 RCM reloading brass.

I didn't know they were closing but thanked them for many of the interesting guns I got to experience because of their diverse offerings. They always had ammo for all sorts of uncommon rifle cartridges

They would kick rude people right out of the store too, they liked the place to be polite and upbeat. Always did like talking guns with those old retired gun loiterers that sat there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Damn ! sad news, gonna miss it, Joe ordered me the very first of eleven 300 RUM Rem 700's to hit Alaska back when it first appeared, along with two boxes of ammo ... Nobody in Alaska had heard of the cartridge yet but Joe got on it and made it happen quickly

last year I'd looked virtually all over the world for 350 Rem Mag brass with no luck, walked into GNG for a 20 moa Nightforce rail for my long range rifle and jokinly asked if they had 350 Rem Mag brass, guy points to shelf with 3 boxes of Nosler brass on it

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Damn it. That was a great shop. I always liked visiting when I was in Anchorage...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

That's too bad, they were a good shop.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sad. The great, old-school gunshops we grew up with are becoming a relic of the past.
And the knowledgeable old guys in flannel shirts have been replaced with young spandex "Team Glock" shirt-wearing wannabe's who are all about tactical shooting, but know next to nothing about hunting rifles and shotguns. I'm uncomfortable around them.

Last edited by JeffyD; 09/27/21. Reason: autocorrect!

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A

Anyone know if they have actually closed yet........???

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Curious who (if anyone) carries blackpowder anymore in south central... I got my last few lbs there.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I was in around Sep 10th, they said the 15th would be the last.

Last edited by akmtnrunner; 09/27/21.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't know if Great Northern was there in the 60's and 70's. When I came to town to blow off steam and see the bright lights, I went on to Seattle not loving Anchorage much, the first stop was at Sea First to cash the paychecks, the barber shop, and then the great Warshall's Sporting Goods and buy a gun. That way when I left Seattle to go back in, I had something to show for it besides the hangover.
Eddie Bauer was too pretentious and hoity toity, pawn stores too junky, Warshall's was a gun looney's mecca.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 77 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.