Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
akpls Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Anyone know if Browning ever fixed the problem with their Duratouch coating turning sticky? I have a chance to pick up a new X-Bolt at what I think is a decent price, but don't want to deal with the coating breaking down after a couple of years.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My BIL has a Browning Cynergy with the Duratouch coating that is several years old with no issues.

I have a Cynergy and BPS with it, but they're far too new to have issues, so yes, I hope they have it corrected.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had an X-Bolt with the Duracoat coated stock since 2015 and it's still good so hopefully mine was after they fixed the problem.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reminds me of the Sims Limbsaver I put on my A-bolt.

Ended up ripping carpet off the floor.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Out of curiosity, how long did the finish last before turning sticky with the bad Duratouch? Was it ever determined if certain gun cleaning chemicals or oils was to blame?

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It wasn’t just Browning that had the problem with Duratouch getting sticky. I bought a camouflage Bell & Carlson Duratouch stock 10 years ago from B&C and over the past few years it’s gotten more and more gooey. It’s gotta get fixed so I’ll call B&C and hopefully they stand behind their products because I have at least 3 more stocks I want to buy.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by akpls
Anyone know if Browning ever fixed the problem with their Duratouch coating turning sticky? I have a chance to pick up a new X-Bolt at what I think is a decent price, but don't want to deal with the coating breaking down after a couple of years.

I believe they corrected it by not selling them anymore. But I could be mistaken. That said, if you have one that goes south, just call browning, send it back and they'll replace it within a couple weeks and ship it back to you. Not that big of a deal. In fact, I think you can call them with the serial number and find out if it's covered under warranty. Might be worth the time spent if it's a solid deal on the rifle.

Last edited by Technoman26; 09/29/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
It wasn’t just Browning that had the problem with Duratouch getting sticky. I bought a camouflage Bell & Carlson Duratouch stock 10 years ago from B&C and over the past few years it’s gotten more and more gooey. It’s gotta get fixed so I’ll call B&C and hopefully they stand behind their products because I have at least 3 more stocks I want to buy.

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They fixed it by not selling it anymore. I also believe there is an open invitation by Browning to address the issue. I called them recently and on their VM greeting there was a "press # if you are calling about a Duratouch issue."

If you have one that's sticky, and don't really care for how it looks, you can get rid of the stickiness by sprinkling corn starch powder on it. Talc works too, but corn starch is finer. I have some old Japanese Tasco World Class binos that came with a rubber coating that got sticky, and they were too good to stop using. Corn starch fixed it.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/29/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Same with Bowtech and their In Velvet overcoat. Lasted about 3 months before they figured out it wasn't worth a schitt.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
They fixed it by not selling it anymore. I also believe there is an open invitation by Browning to address the issue. I called them recently and on their VM greeting there was a "press # if you are calling about a Duratouch issue."

If you have one that's sticky, and don't really care for how it looks, you can get rid of the stickiness by sprinkling corn starch powder on it. Talc works too, but corn starch is finer. I have some old Japanese Tasco World Class binos that came with a rubber coating that got sticky, and they were too good to stop using. Corn starch fixed it.

My 2010 A-Bolt got sticky after about 7 years and I tried the corn starch which helped but the stickiness kept getting worse so I ended up removing the coating using nail polish remover. The paint came off in a few small spots so I touched it up and clear coated it. Browning offered to do it but I've heard they can take a long time.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had the icky-sticky mess on my Sako 85, purchased in 2013. Did not even bother with any attempt to deal with customer service at Beretta. I knew where that would get me. I had a custom stock built & love it.

Purchased another Sako 85 in 2018 with the same coating. So far, so good.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have an A.Bolt that turned sticky.
Tried all of the trucks
Finally one day I was downstairs in my reloading room
where I had a can of die-electric cleaner for electric motors.
Figured it was worth a shot since nothing else helped.
Amazingly enough it removed 100% of the sticky.
That was over 2 years and many many outings and miles.
I would definitely use it again

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sako had the same problem with their Duratouch stocks. One of my A7's came with the Duratouch stock the next one looked just like it but the stock wasn't Duratouch. Think they solved the problem by doing away with Duratouch.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by sixfive
Out of curiosity, how long did the finish last before turning sticky with the bad Duratouch? Was it ever determined if certain gun cleaning chemicals or oils was to blame?

I checked the serial number on my A-Bolt and it apparently was made in 2007. Spent most of its life in the safe and didn't have any chemicals spilled on it. The whole stock surface is now noticeably sticky although not peeling.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I have 3 browning shotguns with the duratouch finish and 2 of them got sticky. Browning fixed the problem witthout any issues. It took about 3 or 4 weeks each time. They have a claim form you fill out online including the serial number and if it qualifies they will email you a shipping tag, Box it up and take it to UPS and in a few weeks it will be returned to you completl;y refinished. So far there are no problems with the 3rd shotgun but if it does get sticky I know they will fix it for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Originally Posted by sixfive

I checked the serial number on my A-Bolt and it apparently was made in 2007. Spent most of its life in the safe and didn't have any chemicals spilled on it. The whole stock surface is now noticeably sticky although not peeling.

Jerry

Same here. Made in 2007 and lived in a gun safe nearly all it's life. Completely sticky now. Sent it to Browning today. I had them send a shipping label but I wasn't sure it had insurance so I went ahead and shipped it (insured for $1,000) and cost a whole $28.00+. Cheap for peace of mind.

Jim

Last edited by texasbatman; 10/04/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Browning called a couple of days ago. They no longer have the Brush camo which is on the gun now. I went with the Breakup camo. They said they will get it back to me as soon as they could. It will be nice to get it back home again.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got the A-Bolt back and it looks great. Here are the before and after pics. Thanks Browning.

Jim

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

611 members (160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 70 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,296
Posts18,449,007
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.