Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Are there any brands that are better than others or types of material I should be looking at to buy for terminal tackle. I don't fish saltwater a lot but I want to start building a modest assortment of tackle. Some of the stuff seems to go to crap immediately even with a good rinse in the sink. Some lures the paint is gone only after a few outings

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The old saying, you get what you paid for, holds true in salt water tackle. buy well known brands know for their quality and don't look back. You probably will pay more but you only have to do it once.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I understand that looking for the preferred brands

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I have some Rapalla`s and Yo-Zuri`s that are 20+years old and still catching Trout and Reds.

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Avet, Penn, Shimano

Penn, Shimano also have lower-end models, just depends on what you are looking for, Avets are the best.

Last edited by stxhunter; 09/29/21.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Avet, Penn, Shimano

Penn, Shimano also have lower-end models, just depends on what you are looking for, Avets are the best.

+1 gazillion.

My Avet is one of my favorites but my Penn international gets the most time fishing. My Shimanos Calcuttas, Charter Specials, Tekotas are used for specific types of fishing (usually).

Abu Garcia makes some good stuff too but like Roger said it’s hard to go wrong with the 3 he mentioned. For saltwater spinning I use Penn while my Shimano Stradics are almost strictly freshwater use now.

The Avet 2 speed is my absolute favorite reel!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sea striker for some cheaper stuff, coast lock swivels, sinker slides etc…
Gamakatsu and Owner hooks. Spro for better swivels and snap swivels.
Yozuri, Mann, mirro-lure, rapala stick baits, gotcha plugs,
Lots of good options for spoons. Sea Striker diving planers.
Local shops always have what works locally, so ask the guys at the local tackle shop.
Wash you stuff off really well in fresh water and let it dry before storing it.

I mostly use the storage boxes with rubber gasket that seals when you shut it for all my terminal tackle, my opinion it helps.

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/07/21.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Local shops always have what works locally, so ask the guys at the local tackle shop.

I mostly use the storage boxes with rubber gasket that seals when you shut it for all my terminal tackle, my opinion it helps.

Thanks thats the type of info I was looking for, I just dropped a couple hundred bucks at tackle direct on some gear

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Excellent info
I was going to ask what you meant by terminal tackle, but this above is plenty info and seems you acted on it.

I have Penn and Shimano rods, Penn, Daiwa and Shimano reels. Avet is used a lot for bigger fish, and Abu 6500 is a good all-around inshore/bay reel

For my surf leaders with chunk bait/mullet I use Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus circle hook, but have used Eagle Claw and others in sizes 1/0-6/0.
Catch-All tackle has a good assortment of swivels that I use, but have used Bass Pro shop and FTU branded also.
Spoons I have bought on ebay the 1.5oz and 2oz KastKing clones, but I recommend to change hooks.
Rapala and Yo-zuri are my favorites hard baits, but have also DUO International branded ones (really good japanese lures work excellent for the surf in Peru, tide minnow models)

Gulp! and Fishbites always work if there is fish around. I have caught countless species on fishbites, from southern stargazers, whiting, specks up to a nice 29" reds a couple weeks ago.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I may be the odd man out, but I take a hard PASS on Avet.

Like other members mentioned; Shimano/Daiwa/Penn/Accurate/Okuma and a few JDM spec components.

Terminal tackle; SPRO/Gamakatsu/Owner/Decoy/Eagle Claw.

Line, lots of choices but Momoi/Izorline/SoftSteel/Seaguar/Ande/Big Game/YoZuri are usually the most used brands.

For lures, Rapala/Yozuri for run of the mill surface and sub-surface, Roberts Rangers, and a host of JDM equipment for top water/sub surface and jigging.

My go-to shop is Charkbait in SoCal.

Now go help the GNP!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just curious why you say hard PASS on Avet?

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I will admit I am a diawa slut and have stacks of the stuff. Avets are good, but as I learned you got to change that pinion bearing and learn how to set your drag properly. You crush that bearing and it’s a coffee grinder.

The big thing is spend the $45 or so and send it back to the factory every year or other year for service. I never rinse my stuff and it gets used 80 days a year. I seem to have the same failure ratio as the guys who rinse/clean daily.

Gamakatsu hooks, big game line, Mercury engines. I keep things simple.

Last edited by Calvin; 10/15/21.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

Under heavy drag, lots of sideload pressure leading to bearing failure. I've had a fleet of Avet from SX single speeds to Raptors and 4/0, 30's, 50's.

The sideloading isn't as pronounced with the bigger reels but I've had a 30 flat lock up and unable to turn the handle at 30lbs of drag.

But there are MANY MANY Avet users out on the water and they are happy with the performance, just not for me.

IMO, the sturdiest open face reel out there for barn door 'buts up to granders; Shimano Tiagra.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good to know WDEA. A few buddies around here have boxcar loads of AVETS but I haven't seen that issue. They do need cleaning and a bearing change out here and there, but nothing major.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You talking about crushing that pinion bearing by having the drag cranked down while reeling?

Originally Posted by WDEA

Under heavy drag, lots of sideload pressure leading to bearing failure. I've had a fleet of Avet from SX single speeds to Raptors and 4/0, 30's, 50's.

The sideloading isn't as pronounced with the bigger reels but I've had a 30 flat lock up and unable to turn the handle at 30lbs of drag.

But there are MANY MANY Avet users out on the water and they are happy with the performance, just not for me.

IMO, the sturdiest open face reel out there for barn door 'buts up to granders; Shimano Tiagra.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
have only had one smaller avet, never had a problem with it, mainly use the 50s and 80s

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Calvin
You talking about crushing that pinion bearing by having the drag cranked down while reeling?

Fishing heavy leader and heavy drag for YFT and BFT, side load on the pinion bearing is too much for it to handle. Granted you can change them out easy enough but not during mid-fight. Crank handle locks up even though the drag lever isn't at sunset.

Reels with thrust bearing (Okuma Makaira/Penn VISX) help side load under heavy drag.

Again, there are many many Avet users that are happy with their reels just I am not one.

Make mine a Okuma or Penn.

Last edited by WDEA; 10/16/21.
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
...the sturdiest open face reel out there for barn door 'buts up to granders; Shimano Tiagra.

+1 on the Tiagra.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Some of the tackle storage trays have corrosion resistant ingredients built into them. The ones I own have worked very well. I think they're made by Flambeau.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
St Croix rods.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,973
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.