OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]
BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm completely ignorant on this. Why do they have to return some of them? Can't they all be pimped out? Does anyone want them? Shoot em and feed em to the bears?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
only got two sentences in before "complete this survey popped up"

but the title says half and the first sentence says "most in five management areas"...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Mmmmm ... horse burgers. The other red meat!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
I'm completely ignorant on this. Why do they have to return some of them? Can't they all be pimped out? Does anyone want them? Shoot em and feed em to the bears?
It is kind of odd that we can shoot invasive and destructive wild hogs but invasive non native horses can't be shot and left for the environment to absorb. I know, horses are pretty and women love them.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Anybody ever ate horse?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heck,, I'd take a couple for the freezer.
Dog food is getting expensive.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
There's a couple hundred 5 miles from my house on the salt river, they have their own facebook page and even a calendar. Horsetards got the governor to make them protected. They destroy the environment and are out of control.

Those folks don't know chit about horses and why they are there now. They claim they are descended from 400 years ago. They weren't there in the 60s and 70s, I fished/hunted/frog gigged/tramped around that whole area growing up... no horses unless it was the rancher's horses with the cattle. My brother managed the restaurant up at the lake in the late 70s, FS had a roundup of wild domestics and caught 2 burros.

First horses I saw there was about 2008. People were taking them out and abandoning them as they couldn't sell them or give them away. They couldn't feed them because of the economy bust or their places were going to foreclosure. Dad boards a few horses for friends and the place next door is a commercial operation for boarding with arena and all. We were constantly offered free horses.

Now every time I drive that road I see large herds all over. Their fan club will be parked, they wear orange safely vests, look ridicules, ooohing and uhhhing.

There's over a thousand up in the mountains where I hunt, both state and reservation, also started about 15 years ago, 2 herds in my camp a month ago.

They are destroying the areas and pushing wildlife out.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Heck,, I'd take a couple for the freezer.
Dog food is getting expensive.
Dog food isn't near as good as it was when horse meat was available and the zoo animals are being fed expensive beef because they can't get the lions and tigers interested in salad. All this while horses and donkeys belonging to no one run wild and eat up the range.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by krp
There's a couple hundred 5 miles from my house on the salt river, they have their own facebook page and even a calendar. Horsetards got the governor to make them protected. They destroy the environment and are out of control.

Those folks don't know chit about horses and why they are there now. They claim they are descended from 400 years ago. They weren't there in the 60s and 70s, I fished/hunted/frog gigged/tramped around that whole area growing up... no horses unless it was the rancher's horses with the cattle. My brother managed the restaurant up at the lake in the late 70s, FS had a roundup of wild domestics and caught 2 burros.

First horses I saw there was about 2008. People were taking them out and abandoning them as they couldn't sell them or give them away. They couldn't feed them because of the economy bust or their places were going to foreclosure. Dad boards a few horses for friends and the place next door is a commercial operation for boarding with arena and all. We were constantly offered free horses.

Now every time I drive that road I see large herds all over. Their fan club will be parked, they wear orange safely vests, look ridicules, ooohing and uhhhing.

There's over a thousand up in the mountains where I hunt, both state and reservation, also started about 15 years ago, 2 herds in my camp a month ago.

Kent

it is my understanding that domesticated horses when turned loose in the wilds, i.e. desert, don't know how to survive, and will die in some cases a slow death. that area up near payson, people are finding dead horses that have been shot.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/28/21.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by tzone
It is kind of odd that we can shoot invasive and destructive wild hogs but invasive non native horses can't be shot and left for the environment to absorb. I know, horses are pretty and women love them.

Wild Horse and Burro Act. Thank congress.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
S.S.S.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wild and Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act of 1971
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_and_Free-Roaming_Horses_and_Burros_Act_of_1971

92nd congress. Dems held House and Senate. Unanimously passed in both chambers.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/92nd_United_States_Congress

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/28/21.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Back in the 1950s there were a bunch of so called wild horses and jackasses in N.W Colorado, ranchers would shoot them, the studs caused problems with ranch horses, there was a group of town " Cowboy's" that would gather a bunch every year, and sell them to a killer buyer, and then take the money and buy kegs of beer, hot dogs and the rest of picnic stuff, then they would have a Wild Horse Party, down by the old river bridge swimming hole, that was one hell of a party, I always wanted to go gather a bunch, and sell them for some spending money, but my Grandfather, wouldn't let me,he always said don't ruin a good horse chasing a sorry horse. so we just shot them when they were where we could. we kept the # down, now the government is spending a Billion $$$$ a year taking care of them, What a JOKE . Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

it is my understanding that domesticated horses when turned loose in the wilds, i.e. desert, don't know how to survive, and will die in some cases a slow death. that area up near payson, people are finding dead horses that have been shot.

Used to be you could shoot feral horses. Those horses shot up there last year, 16 were found... it caused an uproar and offer of reward with threats of Forest service hunting the shooter down. Maybe they are protected up there now, I'm sick of reading stupid chit and not going to look and find out.

Damn liberal transplants moving into these areas are a disease.

Kent

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

--- Kid Rock 2022

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Filly Mignon or Porterhorse Steak.

Old guy, old guns.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Used to be you could shoot feral horses. Those horses shot up there last year, 16 were found... it caused an uproar and offer of reward with threats of Forest service hunting the shooter down. Maybe they are protected up there now, I'm sick of reading stupid chit and not going to look and find out.

Damn liberal transplants moving into these areas are a disease.

Kent

LOL It's not new.
Regardless, the 6mm Remington is a known cure...

Coccccksucker dogooders rather have feral trash than desert bighorn.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/28/21.

--- Kid Rock 2022

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just introduce more wolves.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.