Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This looked like a fun challenge. Next weekend is out for any range time so I did a quick install of the DIP rail for the 457 that came in last week. Took a bit to get zero again since I had left the scope on the dialed adjustments for fooling around at 380 yards.
Today was probably the windiest I have had at this range. Its in a bowl and the swirls on the VHS tape flags were interesting to watch.

I definitely learned a lot shooting this 20 at 50 yards. If you pay attention and run when the flag is OK your good. Get distracted and loose your @%%. (Shot #3 on the top row for example). Or get in a groove and think your in the home stretch, (and drop 2 as in row 4)

You could score this as a 70 depending how you see the two that barely touch the orange. But I'm going with 80 for effort in todays wind.
This was a very fun few hours at the range. Thanks BSA for proposing the setup.
I definitely want another crack at this on a calmer day.

CZ 457 MTR
Burris 4.5-14
SK Biathlon 22lr.
Bull Bag
Protector tall ear
Wood blocking.
50 yards.

[Linked Image from bobbutler.zenfolio.com]

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
This looked like a fun challenge. Next weekend is out for any range time so I did a quick install of the DIP rail for the 457 that came in last week. Took a bit to get zero again since I had left the scope on the dialed adjustments for fooling around at 380 yards.
Today was probably the windiest I have had at this range. Its in a bowl and the swirls on the VHS tape flags were interesting to watch.

I definitely learned a lot shooting this 20 at 50 yards. If you pay attention and run when the flag is OK your good. Get distracted and loose your @%%. (Shot #3 on the top row for example). Or get in a groove and think your in the home stretch, (and drop 2 as in row 4)

You could score this as a 70 depending how you see the two that barely touch the orange. But I'm going with 80 for effort in todays wind.
This was a very fun few hours at the range. Thanks BSA for proposing the setup.
I definitely want another crack at this on a calmer day.

CZ 457 MTR
Burris 4.5-14
SK Biathlon 22lr.
Bull Bag
Protector tall ear
Wood blocking.
50 yards.

Cool looking range, nice rifle and good shooting. Thanks for sharing your results and shooting this event. I've never seen any of that biathlon sport SK ammo around here. You are absolutely right, the wind makes this shoot much more challenging. The other night when I was shooting, it was pretty steady at 8 mph. Not enough to move my target stand around, but it was noticeable. What I was more worried about was the sprinkles of rain. It seems like when we have done shoots in the rain at my club, everyone is affected by POI shift. We shot golfballs in the rain last saturday, it affected the hit ratio, especially with the 22lr's. Not so much with my 17HMR for some reason... I'll bet you will be trying this again on a less windy day.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How far are you shooting the golfballs??? The range in the pictures has berms at 100 yd increments out to almost 400.
The Biathlon came from Midway. Im not proud of what it cost me but compared to centerfire it was cheep, and available. Im happy to have some to shoot. It did pretty well in the 50 at 200 test run I read, and this CZ likes it.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This looks like a good challenge. I'll see if my Ruger Predator Rimfire is up to the challenge.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Penndog beautiful rifles and great looking spot to shoot!

Just glanced real quick at the posts but your targets confirm what we all know to be true..fliers and wind are the devil

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tried to squeeze this in while checking our rifles for deer season but the wind kicked up and I couldn't shoot a decent group to save my life so I'll put it off until I get back....

Some pretty good targets so far...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Penndog beautiful rifles and great looking spot to shoot!

Just glanced real quick at the posts but your targets confirm what we all know to be true..fliers and wind are the devil

Thanks Certifiable……I learned a bunch from the little time I spent - biggest was I have a bad lot of SK Standard. Have to try again with some more ammo choices and little to no wind!

Look forward to seeing and hearing from the rest of you - just love accurate .22s!!

PennDog

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Some excellent shooting fella's. Penndog, I love your rimfire family. Squirrel hunting is my favorite also.
Hoping to get out soon and try my hand, but first I have to see if the print shop can print some of those targets off for me. It may be cheaper just to buy a printer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC, I paid about $120 for my HP laser with a small toner cartridge. Just replaced that with a hi-cap refill. The target printed very nicely on that, using 32-pound paper. The dots came out a nice, dark gray, and the crosshairs should be very visible against them. Inkjets are the gift that keeps on taking, your money. I bought one last year to do some photos and the ink ran out much too quickly IMO.

My car died on me Saturday, on the way home with a deer in the trunk, no less, so I’m not able to play yet. Soon, I hope.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't have a printer. Or paper. And don't shoot paper anyways. I missed 2 sparrows off the barn ridge yesterday, so went to check zero this morning. I just aim at the carriage bolt heads on higgins 100 yard 4" gong. The RimX 17WSM has done better, but this ain't a cherry-picked group. 8 rounds to include a flyer to the left. Wind was 4 to 6 right to left, so it may not have been ammo or me.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hunts those peppy 17’s sure like to dig themselves some nice little craters don’t they

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What if there is no target left after I shoot it?

[Linked Image from ]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ConradCA

It’s one shot at each of the 20 targets

She's gone shootin..
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ConradCA

That means you're using to big a boolit

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

The boys have a rimfire weekend coming up shortly so we can give this a go.

Need to mount a few scopes and we will be set.

Will post up some pics in a couple weeks

I've a feeling this will require seared ahi, carne asada, and ice cold Modelo.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Prepping for a Schuetzen match this weekend, this'll take a backseat until at least next week.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by m1919

The boys have a rimfire weekend coming up shortly so we can give this a go.

Need to mount a few scopes and we will be set.

Will post up some pics in a couple weeks

I've a feeling this will require seared ahi, carne asada, and ice cold Modelo.

I look forward to your pics. You always shoot well.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Realized I can kill two birds with one stone by hanging this target at the Schuetzen match at 50 yards where nobody shoots, and having my own personal match after the standard 100 yard events are finished. BSA International and Stevens 417 Walnut Hill on tap.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Prepping for a Schuetzen match this weekend, this'll take a backseat until at least next week.

We need to try and get together and do it

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

We need to try and get together and do it

Now you guys are thinking. Good luck with it. Like Cert said, "fliers and wind are the devil"... Very true statement indeed..

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 694 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.