Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I’m from ND and wanting to start putting in for elk somewhere as in another state but it’s so overwhelming to decide where and what not. I’d be going to rifle and would like to go every 2-3 years . Maybe cow tags for the first while then lol at going for a bull tag. Any pointers? Anyone from ND planning an elk hunt in the next couple years looking for a tag along or two? Thanks

BP-B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t know too much about other states, but for me and in my case in Oregon. I try to hunt the same unit for deer and elk. I use the deer season as a partial elk scouting trip. If that doesn’t happen as in draw elk and deer in the same unit/Management zone.
I’ll hunt otc tag in same unit that I put in for a draw tags so when I do draw, I know the area and not be starting from scratch.
It takes time to learn an area. Last 14 years I hunt 2 different units. You know what they say about 10% of the hunters take 90% of the kills.
You’re going to get out what you put in.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
First off how much time do you have? Colorado has the most elk, but in my case its two and a half days to get there so I do not hunt there. You live next to Montana so I would look no where else. Montana has great big game hunting, deer, antelope, elk and moose. Get their regulations out and look at their seasons opportunities and the availability of non resident tags. You also have to look at success ratios as well as drawing odds. You have to understand the preference point system, and how it works. The people here can be a great help for information. Also a subscription to "go hunt" would be worth the money. Many states start their draw process early in the year, so you still have a couple of months to do your research.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Colorado may have the most elk, but they also have the most hunters. All that don't draw in other states go to Colorado.In the last 5 years crowded hunting has become a circus in OTC units. Even units that take 1-2 points are about the same That $600+ tag plus $100 for a qualifying licenses sure isn't worth it.
I am not trying to discourage nonresident hunters,but being a CO resident,I would sure look at other states if I could afford it

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/29/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going somewhere without scouting is really going to increase the odds against you. You might consider going with an outfitter on a cow hunt which usually aren't terribly expensive to get the lay of the land for the first time. Also a summer camping trip to some likely areas might help.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Good advice thus far. I'll add that you should go to your local Cabelas and check out the elk that are mounted there. Get a feel for their actual size, walk around them and think about shot placement, and just generally get used to what they look like.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Start going to Montana and scout. Pick a mountain range like the Snowies. Not far from ND. You can pay big money or put in your time learning elk and their habits

start accumulating points in WY, CO, MT

Last edited by ribka; 09/29/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just go. Plan it, to be sure but don't over think it. Just go. There's no perfect place, no perfect trip, no perfect hunt. Just go.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Join a conservation organization like RMEF or Mule Deer Foundation and attend events and volunteer. You’ll hook up with guys with similar interest that you can learn from and perhaps tag along with. Finding good spots to hunt is difficult at times but you have to put in the effort to figure it out. Good luck.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
ND2506AI, Buy guided landowner cow tags, in NM. 2x1 would cut down on the cost, and would greatly shorten the learning curve....and increase the odds of actually eating elk meat.

Build points in other states, for an entry level (non-trophy) bull hunt.

Always apply in NM and Idaho, for trophy bulls, where there are no points.

Purchase top of the line hiking boots and great binoculars!

Andy3

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for the responses, I’m planning on having between 9-11 days for the hunting trip . That is why I say may do it every 2-3 years so my wife won’t kill me lol. I’ve looked into all the states mentioned. Just have to go do it and learn as a guy goes I know. Just easier said than done. Keep the info coming.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are two atypical suggestions.
1. Elk are considered exotics in Texas and can be hunted any time of the year with just a regular Texas hunting license.
We had friends up from Australia and some of them wanted an elk and did get nice trophies to take home with them.

2. Find a friend in Colorado with property in elk country. One such person had family land adjacent to a big property that was never hunted. Until we hunted it and took nice trophies . One guy shot a 7x7 that is impressive. There was even a very nice home on the property with a two car garage and a back porch where we could watch a river bottom for game.

I never have any luck with drawings anyhow.

Last edited by crshelton; 09/29/21.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ELKMEN 1- " ... you live next to Montana so I would look no where else. Montana has great big game hunting, deer, antelope, elk and moose. Get their regulations out and look at their seasons opportunities and the availability of non resident tags. ..."

That is very good advice, in my opinion. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Teaming up with a group will accelerate your learning curve. If it’s not the right fit (heavy drinking, playing cards until 2AM etc) you can move on with the benefit of an elk education. I’ve changed the elk group a few times now it is all family & all interested in hunting hard and having a good time without closing down the bar in town.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you can find a guided hunt w/ a pro that is willing to teach you will learn more than you will flailing around on your own and will probably get some meat. The logistics of elk hunting, packing and meat care can be formidable and you will appreciate the guidance and help and learn what you need to do going forward on your own.

Spend a week hiking in Elk country w/ your glassing gear and your range finder and get a low cost reality check, caution, you may get addicted to just being out in that countrygrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Is going with an outfitter out of the question? That may be an option a time or two. Or even an outfitter with a drop camp availability (caution here; ask questions: make sure they don’t drop you in the same drainage with another camp or outfitter).

That way your camp is taken care of and you get pointers for the area. Drop camps are much less expensive though I haven’t looked at them for decades.

Usually these are for a minimum of two to four hunters though but it speeds you along the learning curve if the outfitter is good and is in good elk country.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ND2506AI
Thanks for the responses, I’m planning on having between 9-11 days for the hunting trip . That is why I say may do it every 2-3 years so my wife won’t kill me lol. I’ve looked into all the states mentioned. Just have to go do it and learn as a guy goes I know. Just easier said than done. Keep the info coming.

As a new elk hunter, with no hands on experience in any state with elk, you need to ask yourself if you're willing to do a 9-11 day hunt without seeing a single elk or very few. Good probability that could be the outcome of your DIY trip. If that is unacceptable, then skip the learning curve and go straight to an outfitter. You could get lucky on a DIY hunt and get into elk quickly and with some ease or you may go several trips spending big money, time, and energy with no ROI. In the end, it may even be cheaper to go outfitter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Talk to Jared.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the first trip is a bit overwhelming to plan and execute. after that, it's much easier, cause you have a better idea of what to expect and plan for.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by copperking81
]

As a new elk hunter, with no hands on experience in any state with elk, you need to ask yourself if you're willing to do a 9-11 day hunt without seeing a single elk or very few. Good probability that could be the outcome of your DIY trip. If that is unacceptable, then skip the learning curve and go straight to an outfitter. You could get lucky on a DIY hunt and get into elk quickly and with some ease or you may go several trips spending big money, time, and energy with no ROI. In the end, it may even be cheaper to go outfitter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS...in spades.

I watched three dudes from CA ( Im in Montana) rollin with their Motorhome, their trailer, their 4wd ATV,and their spare pickup to hunt elk DIY. They got one...a rag horn.

Do the math: Motorhome $100 K
Trailer 8 K
ATV- 12K
Pickup to haul this stuff-55K

Total $ 175K

They could go to Chama multiple times and bring home huge bulls for that price....just a for instance.

Knew another dude from back east, serious DIY dude, who killed an absolute MONSTER bull on public land....on his 23rd attempt.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My buddy is leaving for another fully outfitted Colorado elk hunt in a few weeks. This will be his fourth attempt to get a bull elk for himself. A couple of other guys in his party were successful over the years. Unfortunately for this guy he has yet to fire a shot. Hunting can be really unpredictable even when you do all the right things. Spending $30K over the course of a few years to get an elk and never firing a shot really sucks, but it happens.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Walking up on a big ol' dead elk, miles from a road... that's pretty overwhelming too if you're alone.

It's not a 200 pound deer to deal with... Real good idea to go with someone who knows what they're doing. The logistics alone can be pretty staggering. I've only shot a couple of elk, real glad that I didn't have to do it all alone either time. The first time I was with a real experienced elk hunter. That was good. The next one, years later, I had a small group of friends with me, that too was good.

Elk meat is absolutely worth the effort! smile

I've read some great replies here on this thread. Best of luck to you.

Regards, Guy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The best hunt I've had for elk was in Colorado with some local guys. They were excellent hunters and sportsman and took to me like a brother. Find that and you've hit the jackpot!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We have a new guy going with us this year. Five experienced guys and one noob. He's a great kid, got a lovely wife and four kids. He will have a great time.

My best piece of advice for him is this: "When you get home, leave your [bleep] in the pickup, all of it. Walk in the door, hand your wife a HUGE bag with an entire outfit in it and in the other hand have bags with something really nice for each of your kids. Spend some time and thought on it, and on them, and no one will complain about you going hunting for a week ever again."

I've used that myself and given that tip to a handful of youngsters who went hunting with us, and it's worked every f'ing time.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Cascade
Elk meat is absolutely worth the effort! smile

I cooked up an elk tenderloin last Sunday for the in-laws before they headed south for the winter.

The only question the MIL asked me was when was I going to go get some more of that!

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by copperking81
]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS...in spades.

I watched three dudes from CA ( Im in Montana) rollin with their Motorhome, their trailer, their 4wd ATV,and their spare pickup to hunt elk DIY. They got one...a rag horn.

Do the math: Motorhome $100 K
Trailer 8 K
ATV- 12K
Pickup to haul this stuff-55K

Total $ 175K

They could go to Chama multiple times and bring home huge bulls for that price....just a for instance.

Knew another dude from back east, serious DIY dude, who killed an absolute MONSTER bull on public land....on his 23rd attempt.

Do you suppose that they bought all the stuff just for that one Elk hunt? lol

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for all the replies, I’m not looking to kill monster elk . I’m not expecting to shoot one on the first day or anything like that. I know it will be hard work and lots off it. I just want to get to an area where I can get to know and learn the area so when my kids get old enough I kinda have that part figured out.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like I said, find a unit or two and really put some work into it. Scouting and setting up trail cams. Maybe a guided hunt for a crash course.
Simply put, Boots on the ground and just making it happen.
You only get so many opening morning

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The first thing to know about elk is that the vast majority are taken on private land, while most hunters hunt on public land. Of the elk that are taken on public land, the majority are taken on outfitted hunts operating from wilderness camps put in place with horses. As a result, a small number of hunters who are one way or another paying for access get the the bulk of the elk. Which is not to say that elk are never taken DIY on public land - they are - but it's at a very low rate in most places.

As a general rule, if a state doesn't split out private vs public land hunting and simply gives a success rate for a unit, assume the actual success rate for a DIY public hunt is between 1/5th and 1/10th that. So for example CO rifle seasons have an across the board success rate of about 20%, so the DIY public land rate is about 2-4%.

Have a realistic view of what's going on, and decide up front if you're willing to pay for access vs. what success rate you expect.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
The first thing to know about elk is that the vast majority are taken on private land, while most hunters hunt on public land. Of the elk that are taken on public land, the majority are taken on outfitted hunts operating from wilderness camps put in place with horses. As a result, a small number of hunters who are one way or another paying for access get the the bulk of the elk. Which is not to say that elk are never taken DIY on public land - they are - but it's at a very low rate in most places.

As a general rule, if a state doesn't split out private vs public land hunting and simply gives a success rate for a unit, assume the actual success rate for a DIY public hunt is between 1/5th and 1/10th that. So for example CO rifle seasons have an across the board success rate of about 20%, so the DIY public land rate is about 2-4%.

Have a realistic view of what's going on, and decide up front if you're willing to pay for access vs. what success rate you expect.

I think you need to do some research your numbers.

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/06/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In some states maybe. Idaho is 60% public land and most of the elk are on it during the season. They do move to private land in the winter. The vast majority are taken on public land without the services of outfitters.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I think you need to do some research your numbers.

You can "think" what you want, but facts are facts.

The FACT is that any outfitter or trespass fee operation that can't provide in excess of 50% success (and usually near 100%) will quickly go out of business in the era of internet reviews. In any state that accounts for those hunters in the same statistics as DIY public land hunters, the statistics will be completely warped since they reflect a mix of succeeding pay-to-play hunters and failing DIY hunters.

Personally I don't have a problem with the modern era of pay-to-play hunting, because when you have a scarce resource money is a good way to decide who gets it. But OP needs to understand what the game is.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Where your numbers get skewed is thinking that the "vast majority are taken on private land". May be true in some states, but not true in Colo. Far FAR more DIY'ers then there are private land/guided hunters. Hence, their success plays little in the over all success rate.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Colorado kills about 60,000 elk a year.I can guarantee the majority are not on private land. Looking at a land status map of National Forest and BLM land the majority of land west of the continental divide is public land. Most outfitters operate on public land which is why they need a Forest Service permit to do so and cannot charge a trespass fee.

Kindly post the published date to support your claim that CO public land success is 2- 4%. CPW sells elk tags based on a 20% success rate ( 18-20% is their figure) means they sell about 300,000 elk tags a year, The majority are not on private land

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/06/21.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In some states civilians can be drawn to hunt on military installations. There are elk hidden in places one wouldn't normally consider. Fort Sill, Oklahoma is a good example.

Medics bury their mistakes..
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Kindly post the published date to support your claim that CO public land success is 2- 4%. CPW sells elk tags based on a 20% success rate ( 18-20% is their figure) means they sell about 300,000 elk tags a year, The majority are not on private land

The vast majority are private land or outfitters. It may actually be slightly higher than the 10 to 1 ratio I quoted in Colorado.

The fact that the majority of land by acres is public land is misleading. What matters is where the elk are taken, not how many elk-free public acres there are. Colorado publishes statistics which mix private and outfitted success with DIY failure to get the 20% number and then sells the dream to the rubes one $610.25 out of state tag (plus habitat stamp and qualifying license) at a time.

It's a good scam I suppose, but there's no reason OP shouldn't be aware of what's going on.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The vast majority are private land or outfitters. It may actually be slightly higher than the 10 to 1 ratio I quoted in Colorado.

You're just wrong on this one. Hell, take a gander at all the guys that post just on this forum alone and see just how many of us are successful, year in and year out, all DIYer's. Killing elk on public isn't some magically hard thing to do on public ground. Sure the guys hunting private/guided have a higher success, but sure as hell the public DIY hunters are way more successful then you're giving them credit for.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by TRnCO

You're just wrong on this one. Hell, take a gander at all the guys that post just on this forum alone and see just how many of us are successful, year in and year out, all DIYer's. Killing elk on public isn't some magically hard thing to do on public ground. Sure the guys hunting private/guided have a higher success, but sure as hell the public DIY hunters are way more successful then you're giving them credit for.

No, you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm saying the success rate is shokingly low for DIYs, not zero. There's a difference.

The private land guys are able to say things like this:

"There are a ton of elk on this hunt and you will be in bucks every day deciding which one you will be shooting."
"These ranches are well roaded an you don’t have to be super fit to hunt this. Hunting is mostly out of UTV’s..."
"So whatever time frame you want to hunt we can get you in elk. If we get good snow the late hunt (fourth rifle) can be so insane with literally hundreds and hundreds of elk and your choosing the bull you want."
(taken from a random Craig outfitter... and not high fence)

While the DIY guy

Decide which of those two hunting experiences you want, and pay accordingly.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 10/06/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m from ND and wanting to start putting in for elk somewhere as in another state but it’s so overwhelming to decide where and what not. I’d be going to rifle and would like to go every 2-3 years . Maybe cow tags for the first while then lol at going for a bull tag. Any pointers? Anyone from ND planning an elk hunt in the next couple years looking for a tag along or two? Thanks

Yup... Yup.... I have to tell you... If just planning a trip is overwhelming... you should just stay home.

With that said... I bought a left over bull tag for the 4th season in Colorado... I had never been to Colorado... I never hunted for a bull before... Hunt success for the 4th season in that area was 5%

I researched and planned... set camp 2 days early.... Shot a 6X7 bull at first light on the first day of the 4th season.

All I can tell you is quit crying about it being over whelming and just get going. Buy a tag... load the truck. and go.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TRnCO

No, you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm saying the success rate is shokingly low for DIYs, not zero. There's a difference.

The private land guys are able to say things like this:

"There are a ton of elk on this hunt and you will be in bucks every day deciding which one you will be shooting."
"These ranches are well roaded an you don’t have to be super fit to hunt this. Hunting is mostly out of UTV’s..."
"So whatever time frame you want to hunt we can get you in elk. If we get good snow the late hunt (fourth rifle) can be so insane with literally hundreds and hundreds of elk and your choosing the bull you want."
(taken from a random Craig outfitter... and not high fence)

While the DIY guy

Decide which of those two hunting experiences you want, and pay accordingly.

As a DIY guy that hauls the meat out of public land myself, on my back... by myself... I have eaten a few tags... But I'm still running north of 65% on public land elk kills between Colorado and Wyoming. If you want to be successful..

See my post under the "Accuracy of Colorado Hunting Stats" and it will be self explanatory.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Well [bleep]...... I guess I should just stay home than Mikie . Thanks for the great advice. All I was saying is it’s overwhelming to look at all these different states and different ways u can or need to buy tags. All the stuff u need to do it all the research u need to do when going into an area like that. All in between everything else we all have going on in life. I guess I’ve just been over thinking it this whole time .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it is also important to mention that those public land harvest statistics often include people who didn't hunt at all, but for whatever reason bought a tag. I am not sure if Colorado's survey system and statistics pulls that kind of thing out or takes it into account or not.

Looking at things like Idaho's second draw (which only involves redrawing controlled tags that were drawn originally in the initial draw, but the tag was not bought in time) and myself knowing a good number of people who buy elk tags every year just in case they decide to hunt but never do, those statistics can seriously be skewed. That is not to mention quite a few people who just hunt one or two days by just driving around with a case of beer (not that there's anything wrong with thatblush).

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well [bleep]...... I guess I should just stay home than Mikie . Thanks for the great advice. All I was saying is it’s overwhelming to look at all these different states and different ways u can or need to buy tags. All the stuff u need to do it all the research u need to do when going into an area like that. All in between everything else we all have going on in life. I guess I’ve just been over thinking it this whole time .

So you need help with regulations?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I guess I’ve just been over thinking it this whole time .

Yup.... That is what I am saying.... Just go buy a tag.... and take it from there.

There is more to elk hunting than picking an area... you have to assemble a camp... work out food... transportation... and dead animal retrieval... if it's warm weather, you have to get the meat cooled....

Goodness, Sitting and doing research in front of a computer screen is the easiest part... And if you don't get it right, you can switch areas next year.

Just go buy a tag... your first trip may turn out to be an expensive camping trip.... every one eats a few tags.... get over it and do better next year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in the same boat as the OP, I've spent the last three summers in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado hiking and just basically exploring the states. I've concluded the same as others have, that it's a private land game and prepare to spend lots of money. I'm sure it can be done DIY on public land but he odds of success are very low. Additionally, as others have said, if you are hunting by yourself and you happen to have success, that's where the problems really start, I can't imagine packing an elk out of the woods alone for any distance. So it's a locals, outfitters or group game in my observation. I think of hunting in Europe as being an elitist game, only for the upper class. Well, I would consider myself upper middle class (whatever that means these days) but an out of state elk hunt is just beyond what I think is reasonable. I hope to have the opportunity to hunt elk in the near future but I just can't find a way to feel good about spending $10k to do so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't agree this is a private land game, but it could seem that way if you aren't being successful right away. Once you learn a couple different units and figure out where the elk are, they are usually there every year or close to the same area. Some states have more easily accessed public land than others, but there is still plenty of good DIY hunting on public land or private land that is open to the public. Drawing tags in those units can be difficult and expensive for non residents, which is why a lot of us who live out here don't hunt out of state. But the hunting is available and can be very productive if you put the time in to learn how and where to go. We hunt public land exclusively and I have harvested and elk 7 out of the last 10 years, mostly on spike only tags. Which can really be a downer when you see a huge 6x6 or bigger walking by like he owns the place several years in a row....

The camping set up, retrieval , and other logistics can be overcome but can get expensive for the initial investment. We probably have $2- $3 invested in our tents, cook set up, and other items we take to camp to make our lives comfortable for a week, but it can be done for substantially less if this is something you don't do every year.

When it comes right down to it, for a guy who is planning their first hunt out of state it makes a lot of sense to look for a guided hunt just to learn what to do and not to do. There are some pretty inexpensive guided hunts in cull units where they want some cows removed or low scoring bulls removed from the herd. Accommodations are usually supplied or available as part of the package and retrieval of your game is handled by the outfitter. A little time on the computer will help you sort some of this out, then the planning really begins...

Good luck, it is definitely worth it when you get your first elk on the ground...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I read in Outdoor Life awhile back that the the non-resident DIY success rate in Montana was 3% (bull and cow). Go the first time with a guide and see how it's done. I'm hunting this year on a ranch in NW Colorado where I have seen over 600 elk in a day, private ground surrounded by semi-landlocked BLM. FYI, we hardly ever see anyone on the BLM, it's a1 mile hike to the private property line.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sheister
I don't agree this is a private land game, but it could seem that way if you aren't being successful right away. Once you learn a couple different units and figure out where the elk are, they are usually there every year or close to the same area. Some states have more easily accessed public land than others, but there is still plenty of good DIY hunting on public land or private land that is open to the public. Drawing tags in those units can be difficult and expensive for non residents, which is why a lot of us who live out here don't hunt out of state. But the hunting is available and can be very productive if you put the time in to learn how and where to go. We hunt public land exclusively and I have harvested and elk 7 out of the last 10 years, mostly on spike only tags. Which can really be a downer when you see a huge 6x6 or bigger walking by like he owns the place several years in a row....

The camping set up, retrieval , and other logistics can be overcome but can get expensive for the initial investment. We probably have $2- $3 invested in our tents, cook set up, and other items we take to camp to make our lives comfortable for a week, but it can be done for substantially less if this is something you don't do every year.

When it comes right down to it, for a guy who is planning their first hunt out of state it makes a lot of sense to look for a guided hunt just to learn what to do and not to do. There are some pretty inexpensive guided hunts in cull units where they want some cows removed or low scoring bulls removed from the herd. Accommodations are usually supplied or available as part of the package and retrieval of your game is handled by the outfitter. A little time on the computer will help you sort some of this out, then the planning really begins...

Good luck, it is definitely worth it when you get your first elk on the ground...

Bob
Do you sleep under Harbor Freight tarps and cook in used soup cans to keep the cost that low? grin

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless a guy just wants to hunt out of a pampered camp, there is no need to spend thousands of dollars on camping and cooking stuff, though if kids are in the picture as the OP indicated that may change things. I have had no issue killing average bulls on public ground/general tags without a tent, stove or a lot of other gear often deemed as "necessary". A guy just has to have the right mentality.

the guided hunt suggestion above has some merit, just to get an idea of what to do especially concerning how to break an elk down. Horseback hunts are nice but I don't think it would translate well into learning how to backpack hunt very well other than how to find elk. As stated earlier, it may be cheaper to do this in the long run vs taking several years of burned non-resident tags and effort.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Sheister

Bob
Do you sleep under Harbor Freight tarps and cook in used soup cans to keep the cost that low? grin

Nope, I'm just a cheapskate and I watch for sales, used items in good shape, etc.... my estimate may be a little low, but this year we were talking about it and realized we have had most of our camp set up for going on 15 years now, so the amortization works out pretty well so far... funny thing - we took a new guy up hunting with us a couple years ago (my son's new hunting buddy since I'm going to stop some day) and he was shocked at how luxurious our camp was compared to what he was expecting.... wink

Of course, I didn't include the cost of the new utility trailer I built to haul camp up to our hunting unit, or other sundry things like tarps, etc....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have 2K in camping gear that I use on deer and elk hunts.... but it doesn't have to be... My last hunt was a December cow tag in Grizzly country.... I stayed in town at an Airbnb... Made my own breakfast every morning... had wifi... and went out to dinner every night...

One thought that might help the op is... if you figure an area out that you are gonna pull a tag for... You could get a turkey tag for the same area and test your elk camp in the spring so you get all the bugs worked out for the fall hunt... and you would really learn the area by truck and by foot.

Another thing to think about is to hunt the late seasons in Colorado or December for a cow in Wyoming. More than likely you will be the only one out where you are hunting... I normal hunt the 3erd Rifle in Colorado and by Tuesday.... I'm the only hunter for miles and miles. A 4th season Colorado hunt is even more lonely.

Get a cow tag for Wyoming that will let you hunt in December and pull your quarted elk out on a kids plastic sled all in one trip.

I wouldn't spend an azz load of money on an outfitter until I had some elk experience myself.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We hunt private and some public land, from a cabin. Cabin plus trespass is $2000 each. Tags are NR tag prices. Works out to about $3000-3500 a guy with tags and expenses. We've done cheaper, we've done more expensive. This works for us. Its not about killing, its about hunting for us. If you have to kill something to be successful or have a good time, that's ok. Its not who we are. Can you do it cheaper? Yes. Can you pay more? Yes. YMMV

Like it or not, money is how society rations things which are scarce. If it is free, everyone will do it and it has no value.

To the OP, either figure it out on your own, or hire someone like an outfitter to figure it out for you. Really that's your choice, isn't it?
Yes, that is the choice. Its not rocket science, its easily figured out and either do it, or don't.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Make yourself a friend in elk country. Double rewarding. smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Sako76
I read in Outdoor Life awhile back that the the non-resident DIY success rate in Montana was 3% (bull and cow).

I love how a bunch of jackasses tried to tell everyone that it was anything other than 2-4%, like I already said. Those guys are idiots with their panties misalligned.

The DIY public land success rate is tiny. That's a FACT. If armed hiking with no elk in sight appeals to you, by all means buy a tag and give it a try. If you want a horseback ride in the wilderness and a hard hunt after less than ideal elk, a outfitted hunt on public land may give you that. If you want your pick of trophy elk, a trespass fee or guided hunt on private/tribal land (which implicitly includes a trespass fee) will give you that.

Pay to play, or take your rifle for a walk. Your choice laugh

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 10/09/21.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Sako76
I read in Outdoor Life awhile back that the the non-resident DIY success rate in Montana was 3% (bull and cow).

I love how a bunch of jackasses tried to tell everyone that it was anything other than 2-4%, like I already said. Those guys are idiots with their panties misalligned.

The DIY public land success rate is tiny. That's a FACT. If armed hiking with no elk in sight appeals to you, by all means buy a tag and give it a try. If you want a horseback ride in the wilderness and a hard hunt after less than ideal elk, a outfitted hunt on public land may give you that. If you want your pick of trophy elk, a trespass fee or guided hunt on private/tribal land (which implicitly includes a trespass fee) will give you that.

Pay to play, or take your rifle for a walk. Your choice laugh

Sometime when you are not patty yourself,get a copy of CPW allocted tags and see how many tags say private land only vs how many are public land.Up until two years ago when health started to fail me. I did 95-110% success for many years,every year. You haven't a clue that is for sure and the only jackass I see is your braying which is rather hilarious as your sign is is Llama _Bob. Kinda tells the story right there.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Are you really that much of a moron? Just because a tag ALLOWS you to hunt on public land does not mean it was USED on public land. The vast majority of elk taken on private land in CO are taken with regular OTC or draw tags, but where the hunter has paid a trespass fee (either directly, or through their outfitter) to hunt private land.

The success rate for DIY public land hunts is minuscule We can argue whether it's 2% or 3% or 4% (Wyoming is right in the same range), and it varies by year, but it's so small as to be effectively zero. Parks and Wildlife likes those beautiful out of state checks so much they do everything the can to hide it and mix DIY failure with private land and outfitted success though.

Incidentally, New Mexico has a decent success rate for DIY hunts and far superior herd management so there are actually some elk, but good luck drawing... and no OTC of course.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ok.... getting back to the OP problem of being overwhelmed... What ND2506AI is saying, is he practically needs an attorney to counsel him to get through all the regulations that it takes just to get a tag....

I know his pain.... But he has to just get over it.... do your research, read the regs... do more research. and just buy a tag.

Once you get a tag... get on the ground... tag in pocket with gun in hand. You will be on your way. Next year, you will know more.... and the year after that... you will improve your game.... You will understand how to play the game of building preference points while still hunting elk every year... Play off three or four different states, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana and New Mexico or Idaho.

My success rate on filling elk tags is just short of 70%, all on public land... that 30% that went unfilled was all in the early years... Go every year... improve your game every year... upgrade your camp... upgrade your pack out system. Get better tags. Get better boots. I don't have an ATV, I don't have horses... I don't have Llamas.. Everything I have and use to hunt elk fits in an 8' truck box... including the dead elk on my way home.

What I am telling you ND2506AI is just go... just go once.

As far as this nonsense Llama Bob is spouting... I can, no buslls!t now... On a well traveled, Forest Service Road in Colorado... during the 3erd season... and 4th season.. sit on the side of the road at the end of the day and glass up one bull for sure... and some times 3-4 bulls on the same hill... And I can do it from a Forest Service road. In the same place every year.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I've hunted in Colorado a few times but nowhere else, for elk. I've considered other states but haven't spent much time looking into them. Mainly due to the way you have to buy a tag. Colorado is nice with the over the counter tag, that's a big attraction for many and why so many go there. It's also easier to get to for me, living in Missouri. One thing is for sure. If you don't go somewhere you're going to miss out on something in life that you'll regret. It's called hunting for a reason. For me the enjoyment starts in the planning then the day we leave. The mountains the elk live in are the only country I pull over and take the time to look back at after the hunt is over and wish it was the beginning of the hunt and not the end. Go somewhere and ignore the arm chair advice.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
All good info, thanks

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Your thinking out of state elk. Pick a state, find the game departments unit success rates. Compare those to the type of terrain you feel comfortable hunting ,using google earth. Pick a couple areas and call the biologists in those areas. Ask lots of questions, most are more than happy to help. Look at the regulations for the areas suggested by the biologists. Get your gear together and go! My hunting party does this and have had good luck filling tags. We have filled tags in Idaho, Wyoming. Deer, elk, and pronghorn. All dyi hunts, If your plan is this year, buy a tag and go hunt. If your thinking next year you have a year to plan.

Last edited by Heym06; 10/12/21.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There are some pearls of wisdom in the previous posts but the main thing is do some research and GO! I didn’t get going elk hunting until my late 40’s. One thing I’ve learned is that lots of “life” can get in the way of elk hunting. Almost every year, some of our group falls out for one reason or another. This year it was Mark who has an episode of back pain that requires surgery, last year it was me due to cancer treatment side effects, year before Larry’s daughter getting married, another had a knee replacement, and on and on. My local muzzleloader hunt was train wrecked by the death and funeral of my best friend. You get my drift. Don’t put it off. You have 50 other weeks in a year to do other things, so don’t let the clock run out on you. I am blessed to have a 46 year old son who loves to hunt more than I do who tolerates the old man and doesn’t mind helping the somewhat infirm! LOL

My best recommendation is to find a trespass fee hunt in NW Colorado on private land adjacent to public land. Find a landowner that is willing to point you in the right direction, etc. Craig Chamber of Commerce and the internet can help.

My Golden Rule of elk hunting is to go hunt where there are lots of elk. Just in our group, some guys hardly ever take a critter and some almost alway score. My overall success rate is 56% in Colorado, 75% last 4 hunts, so statistics be darned.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you want to go elk HUNTING pick a spot and go for it. Lots of opportunity around if you are willing to work for it and can handle normal public land issues (other guys, inconsistent game, limited roads, etc.).

If you are set on elk KILLING pay the money and get a private land outfitter.

No wrong choice, just depends on what you want.

Don't get hung up on statistics. I know tons of guys here in Montana that would be counted in the harvest statistic but never actually make it out more then an afternoon or two. A lot of local "hunting" involves driving up somewhere, sitting for a while, getting cold, then heading to the bar to bitch about wolves killing all the elk.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by WAM

My best recommendation is to find a trespass fee hunt in NW Colorado on private land adjacent to public land. Find a landowner that is willing to point you in the right direction, etc. Craig Chamber of Commerce and the internet can help.

This is good advice. The Craig area has the largest elk herd in the world, and 99.99973% of them (that's a statistical fact) are on private land by the time the start of muzzle-loader season. With the payment of a trespass fee, access to all those elk (and the associated high probability of success) can be yours.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If a guide is definitely out, trespass fees are the surest way to seeing some good elk.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What's the price range of trespass fees?

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I posted my experience of first guided elk on hunt on a different page. But I did think of you.
I have seen countless of suggesting to newbs to get a guide to learn from, never seen to make sure the Hunter finds an outfit that has his style of hunting. Such as sitting in stands vs farm lands vs high country or something in between. Ridding side by sides and glass and glass or get deep into timer on foot.
Possibly to find an outfit near where they hunt to learn how to hunt that terrain more. Not the opposite.

Last edited by Dre; 10/16/21.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,354 guests, and 677 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.