Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I’m from ND and wanting to start putting in for elk somewhere as in another state but it’s so overwhelming to decide where and what not. I’d be going to rifle and would like to go every 2-3 years . Maybe cow tags for the first while then lol at going for a bull tag. Any pointers? Anyone from ND planning an elk hunt in the next couple years looking for a tag along or two? Thanks

GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t know too much about other states, but for me and in my case in Oregon. I try to hunt the same unit for deer and elk. I use the deer season as a partial elk scouting trip. If that doesn’t happen as in draw elk and deer in the same unit/Management zone.
I’ll hunt otc tag in same unit that I put in for a draw tags so when I do draw, I know the area and not be starting from scratch.
It takes time to learn an area. Last 14 years I hunt 2 different units. You know what they say about 10% of the hunters take 90% of the kills.
You’re going to get out what you put in.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
First off how much time do you have? Colorado has the most elk, but in my case its two and a half days to get there so I do not hunt there. You live next to Montana so I would look no where else. Montana has great big game hunting, deer, antelope, elk and moose. Get their regulations out and look at their seasons opportunities and the availability of non resident tags. You also have to look at success ratios as well as drawing odds. You have to understand the preference point system, and how it works. The people here can be a great help for information. Also a subscription to "go hunt" would be worth the money. Many states start their draw process early in the year, so you still have a couple of months to do your research.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Colorado may have the most elk, but they also have the most hunters. All that don't draw in other states go to Colorado.In the last 5 years crowded hunting has become a circus in OTC units. Even units that take 1-2 points are about the same That $600+ tag plus $100 for a qualifying licenses sure isn't worth it.
I am not trying to discourage nonresident hunters,but being a CO resident,I would sure look at other states if I could afford it

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/29/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going somewhere without scouting is really going to increase the odds against you. You might consider going with an outfitter on a cow hunt which usually aren't terribly expensive to get the lay of the land for the first time. Also a summer camping trip to some likely areas might help.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Good advice thus far. I'll add that you should go to your local Cabelas and check out the elk that are mounted there. Get a feel for their actual size, walk around them and think about shot placement, and just generally get used to what they look like.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Start going to Montana and scout. Pick a mountain range like the Snowies. Not far from ND. You can pay big money or put in your time learning elk and their habits

start accumulating points in WY, CO, MT

Last edited by ribka; 09/29/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just go. Plan it, to be sure but don't over think it. Just go. There's no perfect place, no perfect trip, no perfect hunt. Just go.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Join a conservation organization like RMEF or Mule Deer Foundation and attend events and volunteer. You’ll hook up with guys with similar interest that you can learn from and perhaps tag along with. Finding good spots to hunt is difficult at times but you have to put in the effort to figure it out. Good luck.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
ND2506AI, Buy guided landowner cow tags, in NM. 2x1 would cut down on the cost, and would greatly shorten the learning curve....and increase the odds of actually eating elk meat.

Build points in other states, for an entry level (non-trophy) bull hunt.

Always apply in NM and Idaho, for trophy bulls, where there are no points.

Purchase top of the line hiking boots and great binoculars!

Andy3

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for the responses, I’m planning on having between 9-11 days for the hunting trip . That is why I say may do it every 2-3 years so my wife won’t kill me lol. I’ve looked into all the states mentioned. Just have to go do it and learn as a guy goes I know. Just easier said than done. Keep the info coming.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are two atypical suggestions.
1. Elk are considered exotics in Texas and can be hunted any time of the year with just a regular Texas hunting license.
We had friends up from Australia and some of them wanted an elk and did get nice trophies to take home with them.

2. Find a friend in Colorado with property in elk country. One such person had family land adjacent to a big property that was never hunted. Until we hunted it and took nice trophies . One guy shot a 7x7 that is impressive. There was even a very nice home on the property with a two car garage and a back porch where we could watch a river bottom for game.

I never have any luck with drawings anyhow.

Last edited by crshelton; 09/29/21.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ELKMEN 1- " ... you live next to Montana so I would look no where else. Montana has great big game hunting, deer, antelope, elk and moose. Get their regulations out and look at their seasons opportunities and the availability of non resident tags. ..."

That is very good advice, in my opinion. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Teaming up with a group will accelerate your learning curve. If it’s not the right fit (heavy drinking, playing cards until 2AM etc) you can move on with the benefit of an elk education. I’ve changed the elk group a few times now it is all family & all interested in hunting hard and having a good time without closing down the bar in town.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you can find a guided hunt w/ a pro that is willing to teach you will learn more than you will flailing around on your own and will probably get some meat. The logistics of elk hunting, packing and meat care can be formidable and you will appreciate the guidance and help and learn what you need to do going forward on your own.

Spend a week hiking in Elk country w/ your glassing gear and your range finder and get a low cost reality check, caution, you may get addicted to just being out in that countrygrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Is going with an outfitter out of the question? That may be an option a time or two. Or even an outfitter with a drop camp availability (caution here; ask questions: make sure they don’t drop you in the same drainage with another camp or outfitter).

That way your camp is taken care of and you get pointers for the area. Drop camps are much less expensive though I haven’t looked at them for decades.

Usually these are for a minimum of two to four hunters though but it speeds you along the learning curve if the outfitter is good and is in good elk country.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ND2506AI
Thanks for the responses, I’m planning on having between 9-11 days for the hunting trip . That is why I say may do it every 2-3 years so my wife won’t kill me lol. I’ve looked into all the states mentioned. Just have to go do it and learn as a guy goes I know. Just easier said than done. Keep the info coming.

As a new elk hunter, with no hands on experience in any state with elk, you need to ask yourself if you're willing to do a 9-11 day hunt without seeing a single elk or very few. Good probability that could be the outcome of your DIY trip. If that is unacceptable, then skip the learning curve and go straight to an outfitter. You could get lucky on a DIY hunt and get into elk quickly and with some ease or you may go several trips spending big money, time, and energy with no ROI. In the end, it may even be cheaper to go outfitter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Talk to Jared.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the first trip is a bit overwhelming to plan and execute. after that, it's much easier, cause you have a better idea of what to expect and plan for.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by copperking81
]

As a new elk hunter, with no hands on experience in any state with elk, you need to ask yourself if you're willing to do a 9-11 day hunt without seeing a single elk or very few. Good probability that could be the outcome of your DIY trip. If that is unacceptable, then skip the learning curve and go straight to an outfitter. You could get lucky on a DIY hunt and get into elk quickly and with some ease or you may go several trips spending big money, time, and energy with no ROI. In the end, it may even be cheaper to go outfitter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS...in spades.

I watched three dudes from CA ( Im in Montana) rollin with their Motorhome, their trailer, their 4wd ATV,and their spare pickup to hunt elk DIY. They got one...a rag horn.

Do the math: Motorhome $100 K
Trailer 8 K
ATV- 12K
Pickup to haul this stuff-55K

Total $ 175K

They could go to Chama multiple times and bring home huge bulls for that price....just a for instance.

Knew another dude from back east, serious DIY dude, who killed an absolute MONSTER bull on public land....on his 23rd attempt.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

612 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.