Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Started off poorly so far for me here in my part of Alabama. After seeing a few zooming around in the treetops cutting acorns like they were on speed I stumbled across this one sitting still late this afternoon and put an RWS Subsonic through the chest. It was a nearly straight up shot and I had intended on the head but forgot to hold high and the bullet went into the chest so it was instant death either way.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Phillip_Nesmith; 09/21/21.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice start!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Helping pap set up and move a couple tree stands tomorrow but will be hunting squirrels first thing. Will report back tomorrow! That’s a beautiful rifle!

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nice Rifle, Good shot, good stuff!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got this one this afternoon with the Evanix PCP air rifle.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Got 1 today

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Had a great morning, got these four with the Kimber Hunter. Beautiful day to be out squirrel hunting.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This is great stuff, keep it coming!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Nice shooting Phillip and those are great photo's.
And I'll say it again, awesome looking knife.
RWS subsonic is such a great Squirrel round.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Really liking those RWS subs; positive kills without excessive meat damage when I've took body shots. POP down they go. Almost nailed a crow, bullet richocheted off a limb and it got away.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Our season in Louisiana starts this Saturday but weather is looking kinda dismal. Mosquitoes are horribly bad anywhere near the woods right now. We need some cooler weather.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Really liking those RWS subs; positive kills without excessive meat damage when I've took body shots. POP down they go. Almost nailed a crow, bullet richocheted off a limb and it got away.

Recovered RWS subsonics look darn near like a recovered Nosler Partition bullet, almost a perfect mushroom with a lot of solid base intact. Most of my rimfires really shine with RWS subs and a Kimber Classic I have shoots them like they're match ammo.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve also had great results with Lapua subsonic HPs, but haven’t seen them for sale in some years. In my Browning T-bolt, they shoot better than the RWS ammo.

One time while hunting squirrels with a friend, we ended up competing. When we got together after dusk, John said “I guess I won” and showed me his 3 squirrels. When I emptied my coat he said “How did you do that?? I only heard 2 shots!!”, and I had to remind him I was shooting subsonics.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Out in the woods this afternoon, spotted just one. It was raining acorn cuttings down onto my head and I had to take a straight up shot. It should have been a miss but the bullet deflected off the limb directly beneath the squirrel right into it for the kill so I got it after all.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I prefer subsonic hollowpoints over anything else for hunting squirrels here in north Alabama. The ranges shots take place at are never too far for the trajectory of a subsonic velocity bullet, the noise level is much more acceptable to me, and the accuracy of any subs I have tested so far has always beaten any high velocity hollowpoint ammo. The terminal ballistics are just about perfect with any I've tried too. None of the crawl off fiascos of solid bullets but also not the serious destruction level of high velocity hollowpoints. I used to use SK Subsonics but they discontinued them. RWS performs excellently as well. The CCI is good, not quite as accurate as the RWS and the now gone SK. My Kimber Hunter doesn't get along well with the newer 38 grain Eley Subsonic HP's, five shot groups range from 3/4" to 1-1/8" at 50 yards. The older 40 grainers with the greasy lube were very good. I miss the SK's, don't know why Lapua/SK decided to stop making hollowpoints a few years ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a bunch of the old Winchester subsonic 40 gr. truncated cone hollow points in the silver boxes. Winchester did a super slo mo video of these things hitting a big grape and expanding as the bullet travels through the grape. They hit squirrel with a distinctive "whop" sound. These have been very accurate in my guns, usually grouping under 1/2" for five shots at 50 yards. Of course Winchester dropped them from production and later reintroduced them as an improved product. I can't get the newest version in the black boxes to group well enough in my guns to take them hunting. I had grabbed into a decent supply of the older ones when I heard they were cut from the line up so I'm set for subsonic hunting ammo.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I could have, should have gone this weekend. But, I don't have a lightweight 4 WD for those East Tx forest roads. Red clay & mud, considering the approaching rain storm, turn into "wish I'd have stayed home" pretty quick.

Trying to fix that.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Our season just opened up here in MS. Haven't really been bushy-tail hunting in a LONG time but use to be my favorite. Thanks for the thread. I'm about to dig out the ol' Ruger 77/22 and check zero. Although it's still a bit warm I may end up in the squirrel woods this weekend thanks to this inspiration.

And.... thanks for the comments on the RWS ammo. Just found some on Gunbroker and ordered. Yes, I know I overpaid, but.... just have to try it.

Whether you tell yourself you CAN do it.... or you CAN'T.... you're correct.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I don’t think you will be disappointed in the RWS subsonic ammo. Their HVHP is good stuff too, think if it as “German MiniMags”

FWIW, I pasted some of my notes below WRT zeros with various popular squirrel ammo in my Blaser.

MiniMag HPs POA/POI @ 25 yds-40M. Very accurate.

SGB/MiniMag/Win Extra Power/RWS HVHP all shoot to same zero

RWS & Lapua Subsonic HPs very accurate, print -1” @ 40m

CCI Stinger very accurate, prints +1” @ 40m

Eley Sport prints -1” @ 40M from hunting zero

CCI Std Velocity very accurate, -1.75” from hunting zero

I’ve not shot any “domestic” subsonic ammo to compare groups and zeros.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,308
Posts18,449,130
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.