Print Thread
Hop To
K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Have a mystery ranch metcalf. Haven’t been able to use as much as I had hoped, other than a single trip.

Need something to use as a day pack that can carry mine and the kids gear, pull some all day in the woods trips, and pack out turkeys, bear, and deer when too far from trail or road

The metcalf is on the larger side for this. Would like a smaller option

Keep the metcalf and buy a mule bag to switch back and forth?

Sell the metcalf and buy a popup 28?

Buy a used popup 18?

What’s your thoughts

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d get the Popup myself and keep the Metcalf for the times you might need a little more. Switching the bags around isn’t my idea of fun most of the time.

I’ve got a Pintler and Marshall. The Pintler sees a bunch more hunting time lately but the Marshall is there when I need it.

Semper Fi
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go with your gut insticnt. I am of the opinion that it is better to have a bigger pack and cinch down than to have a smaller pack stuffed to the gills.

I did that with my day pack a few years ago. More than I need, but nice to have the space if needed.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’d get the Popup myself and keep the Metcalf for the times you might need a little more.

^ This. The Pop Up 28 is a great pack and you see 'em 'pop up' for sale all the time on Rokslide.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I use my Pop Up 38 as a day pack. I keep 99% of my gear in the two pockets on the top with rain gear and water in the main compartment. The Pop Up 28 lacks the side-zip access of the 38, which lets you get to the contents of the main bag far more easily than a top-loader. That’s critical with kids since you’ll be in and out of it all the time.

I avoided MR packs with the Guide Lite MT frame because I hunt in very thick brush and sometimes I need to lean down to get a shot through a gap in the trees. The Guide Lite MT frame sticks up high enough behind my head that if I lean over, I can’t lift my head enough to see very far forward and shooting is out of the question. The Pop Up frame doesn’t do that.

If you’re going to stick with Mystery Ranch, then I’d go with the Pop Up 38.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If carrying more than one person's gear I dang sure wouldn't get a pop up 18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okie john
I use my Pop Up 38 as a day pack. I keep 99% of my gear in the two pockets on the top with rain gear and water in the main compartment. The Pop Up 28 lacks the side-zip access of the 38, which lets you get to the contents of the main bag far more easily than a top-loader. That’s critical with kids since you’ll be in and out of it all the time.

I avoided MR packs with the Guide Lite MT frame because I hunt in very thick brush and sometimes I need to lean down to get a shot through a gap in the trees. The Guide Lite MT frame sticks up high enough behind my head that if I lean over, I can’t lift my head enough to see very far forward and shooting is out of the question. The Pop Up frame doesn’t do that.

If you’re going to stick with Mystery Ranch, then I’d go with the Pop Up 38.

Okie John

Yeah, man, don't let me talk you out of a 38. Just picked one up last week myself. smile

Keep your eyes open for sales and you can generally find 'em new for <$300.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Have a mystery ranch metcalf. Haven’t been able to use as much as I had hoped, other than a single trip.

Need something to use as a day pack that can carry mine and the kids gear, pull some all day in the woods trips, and pack out turkeys, bear, and deer when too far from trail or road

Buy a used popup 18?

What’s your thoughts

I have the 28 and it's adequate for my stuff but adding gear for the kiddos, I'd probably spring for the 38.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
The kiddos stuff mainly being carrying a bog death grip, jet boil with hot chocolate and snacks, book/magazine to distract, and some extra clothes. Maybe a fleece blanket if in a blind. I typically carry pretty light when by myself.

The death grip hauls great in the load shelf.

Just like to go lean as much as possible. The metcalf is pretty bulky compared to most typical day packs.

That’s what made me think the mule might be a good option. It seems more sleak.

Anyone use a mule?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Anyone use a mule?

Never tried the MR Mule but I do have a MR Cabinet sitting in my gun room that I’ve used twice. Great pack but I just don’t seem to ever use it. I should probably sell or trade it but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by 257Bob; 09/29/21.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I had a Mule. Great day-pack, but a bit cramped on space for sure. I felt like I was always playing a game of "Tetris" trying to make my clothes/gear fit.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I can highly recommend the Pop Up 28. Have mine going on 4, maybe 5, years now. Tough little pack with a thin profile that doesn't get hung up in thick woods. Might be a bit small to carry your gear plus your son's though.

If you want a smaller bag to put on a Guide Light MT frame, that's bigger than the Pop Up 28, I have a brand NIB, never used Coyote Pintler,
(bag only), I would sell. Shoot me a PM.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 09/29/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Get a Pintler bag for your frame. Then you have best of both. I use a Pintler for a day pack.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a MR sawtooth 45. Not too big , no too small. I use it for day hunts when there is a possibility of a meat pack out or if I am carrying a heavy jacket or coat to put on once I get where I am going.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ghostrider272
Get a Pintler bag for your frame. Then you have best of both. I use a Pintler for a day pack.

I recently bought a 2 day assault pack for EDC and an airline carry on bag. It has that tri zip system like the pintler. I really like that zipper system.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Buy a used popup 18?

What’s your thoughts

What'd you end up buying, OP?

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I’m think I’m gonna go for the popup 28. It should carry what I need.

I would love to try the popup 18 for a day pack and keep the metcalf as well. Finding a 18 could be hard though

The metcalf is just such a big pack in all dimensions for a eastern deer hunter. Too big to put in a treestand with you too lol

I am wanting something a little more sleek for when woods or trails are thicker.

I like my badlands pack as well. If not carrying meat or anything heavy it’s about all I need. Problem is lots of times I have a pretty good walk in and out. Not dragging deer a mile by myself

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.