Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Easy solution for you all that don't like Anchorage, stay the fugg out then.
Don't come and use our Costco, our Airport, Our hospitals, don't drive in for a paycheck and then bitch about how bad it is.
Anchorage isn't great, but it isn't as bas as a lot of medium sized cities that have all these amenities.

That sounds like a "almost" fair deal.........To be fair lets keep the Anchorage people the hell off of the Kenai Peninsula.

Agreed.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
At the risk of being called "sentimental", I truly miss that kind of Anchorage. The people that lived there then would never have let there be the kind of assembly that Anchorage suffers under now. They would never be subjects, nor snitches.
The majority elected to the Anchorage Assembly is really all you need to know about the state of Anchorage in 2021.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’ve spent some time in Anchorage over the last several years, and live in Phoenix. Comparisons between Anchorage and a seriously big city are ridiculous.

How many people are required before there are issues with drugs, gangs, and crime? 3? 4? Bush alaska is as rife with addiction, rape, and woe as any place. Population has nothing to do with it.

Anchorage does not have a “small town feel”, whatever that means. If you want that go to Kodiak, where you have to kick past the homeless to use the public toilet at the marina.

Anchorage has lots of good people in a spectacular setting. Failure to find beauty there reflects on the viewer, not the view.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Spectacular setting? Its mud one way and rocks the other... smile

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
But the view….

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2

Maybe you should drink less?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
...Comparisons between Anchorage and a seriously big city are ridiculous...

Who is comparing Anchorage to L48 cities? We are comparing Anchorage to Alaska.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by cwh2

Maybe you should drink less?

That's just like... Your opinion man.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
skAnchorage is filled to the top with Democrats, if you stop in & hang out too long ya might get brown balled ....

those worthless foo king commies are everywhere out here, it's like a full Rent-A-Can left out in the July heat too long

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Full disclosure. My mother, nephew and sister live in Anchorage. We have some Anchorage roots. My father after he was disabled moved the family into Anchorage for about 10 years from 1987 to 1997 when he moved up to Fairbanks.

My younger sister bought a large 4000 square foot house in midtown on a relative bargain(300K) for the time. She was one of the state economists and felt that the house would accrue value. It took her two years to sell that place at a loss. The midtown area is just as bad a Phoenix. She had several breakins and her neighbors were robbed and then murdered. This is what used to be a posh area of town close to the Boney Courthouse and her state office. Sure there are places that are nice up on hillside. But make no mistake, the old Anchorage that was just a big small town is gone. It is rough in several areas.

People might be in denial but it was a great place for a long time. Eventually it just got rough. We used to go into town to get a good porterhouse steak at Black Angus Steakhouse- we were homesteaders and not enlightened enough to know about Club 29 or Simon and Seaforts. I betcha that you might get robbed if you went there today and your steak would not be top choice meat. Might not even be cow. People who want to call hate can do so. It is NOT the way it used to be.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Full disclosure. My mother, nephew and sister live in Anchorage. We have some Anchorage roots. My father after he was disabled moved the family into Anchorage for about 10 years from 1987 to 1997 when he moved up to Fairbanks.

My younger sister bought a large 4000 square foot house in midtown on a relative bargain(300K) for the time. She was one of the state economists and felt that the house would accrue value. It took her two years to sell that place at a loss. The midtown area is just as bad a Phoenix. She had several breakins and her neighbors were robbed and then murdered. This is what used to be a posh area of town close to the Boney Courthouse and her state office. Sure there are places that are nice up on hillside. But make no mistake, the old Anchorage that was just a big small town is gone. It is rough in several areas.

People might be in denial but it was a great place for a long time. Eventually it just got rough. We used to go into town to get a good porterhouse steak at Black Angus Steakhouse- we were homesteaders and not enlightened enough to know about Club 29 or Simon and Seaforts. I betcha that you might get robbed if you went there today and your steak would not be top choice meat. Might not even be cow. People who want to call hate can do so. It is NOT the way it used to be.

Not to pick on your sister, but an economist should understand property swings and realize that house probably had only a couple swings where it was underwater. I guarantee it would be worth more today by quite a bit...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My folks had a new 4k foot house built in 97 and paid 250K for it. Sold when they retired in 08 for about 750K
Just like location location location, timing timing timing is also important.

Black Angus steakhouse isn't open any longer either.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
My folks had a new 4k foot house built in 97 and paid 250K for it. Sold when they retired in 08 for about 750K
Just like location location location, timing timing timing is also important.

Black Angus steakhouse isn't open any longer either.

3X value in 11 years don’t suck!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I am pretty sure it was on 15th Ave. You can go on there with Zillow and see how they cut prices in that area. Junkies basically go door to door. They felt that they would save money on transportation because she could walk to work. She would take a 6 ft waxwood staff to her office and then home. It took them 2.5 years to sell the place. They moved to Oregon where she is the economist for Fish and Game and my brother in law is the town city manager for Tangent, Oregon. They do want to come back but they don't like Anchorage.

She is the only one of all of us(five) who lives outside. We are betting how long she will last.

Last edited by kaboku68; 10/02/21.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,268
Posts18,467,295
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.