24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have one or know where to get one? Decided to mount a scope on my Husky and my normal smith is too backed up to get me in this year. Watched ol’ potterfield do it and didn’t look overly complicated once you had the jig.

Thanks!

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Take your rifle to someone who has a mill, they will tram your action and locate your holes for cheap. That said, there is nothing wrong with the Forster jig, but even a used one will run you 150 bucks plus.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If you are only doing one action, you will be money ahead having a professional with the tools and experience do it for you and be done with it. Screwing up your fine action with a mistake is a big risk to take versus any money that might be saved doing it yourself.

I have the Forester Jig, Williams, and Sun Optics Jigs. The Forester is the best solution but the other two have their place in the market and work also if you think things through and are very careful.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are a good many smiths that can D&T a Mauser for you for less than a jig will cost you. Despite what they say, it is quite possible to drill the holes incorrectly with the Forester jig.

If this is the Husqvarna that already has one hole in the rear and one up front, you are quite likely to find that a jig will not align. Better to have someone indicate your receiver to 1) verify the existingholes are actually placed at TDC and 2) place the new holes in the proper relationship to the existing.

Got pics?

Last edited by z1r; 09/26/21.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Take your rifle to someone who has a mill, they will tram your action and locate your holes for cheap. That said, there is nothing wrong with the Forster jig, but even a used one will run you 150 bucks plus.

This.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a custom Enfield 1917 awhile back and it several extra holes drilled in the receiver, looked horrible

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jericho
I saw a custom Enfield 1917 awhile back and it several extra holes drilled in the receiver, looked horrible

Custom? You mean "bubbad"..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I asked for opinions from people on here with more experience than me with Mausers and huskies. I’m going to take that advice and call around the area for another smith to drill and tap. As with many projects it may be a little harder than it looks.

Thanks gents

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by z1r
There are a good many smiths that can D&T a Mauser for you for less than a jig will cost you. Despite what they say, it is quite possible to drill the holes incorrectly with the Forester jig.

If this is the Husqvarna that already has one hole in the rear and one up front, you are quite likely to find that a jig will not align. Better to have someone indicate your receiver to 1) verify the existingholes are actually placed at TDC and 2) place the new holes in the proper relationship to the existing.

Got pics?

Good advice there, I have seen a number of receivers with mis-aligned Forster Jig, holes. Just finished D&T on a Swede

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might want to contact JKOB, he is quite capable of doing all your mods; handle, D&T, etc., if he has the availabliity.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Jkob
Originally Posted by z1r

Got pics?

Good advice there, I have seen a number of receivers with mis-aligned Forster Jig, holes. Just finished D&T on a Swede

I have had Jim D&T a few Mausers over the years, he was kind enough to allow me to watch. Jim took more care and time on the job than most of the surgeons who have struggled to put me back together after some stupid stunt.

Do yourself a favor and pack the gun up and ship it to him a no risk means to get the job done right.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
98 members (160user, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.