Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.fr24news.com/a/2021/09/...end-clean-energy-from-morocco-to-uk.html

A 10.5 gigawatt (GW) solar and wind farm will be built in Morocco’s Guelmim-Oued Noun region and will provide the UK with clean energy via submarine cables. The twin 1.8 GW High voltage direct current (HVDC) submarine cables will be the longest in the world.

UK renewable energy company Xlinks is the developer of the project. The Xlinks Morocco-UK power project, as it is known, will cover an area of ​​approximately 579 square miles (1,500 square kilometers) in Morocco and will be connected exclusively to the UK via 2,361 miles (3,800 km). of HVDC submarine cables. They will follow the shallow water route from Morocco to the UK, passing through Spain, Portugal and France.

The project will cost $ 21.9 billion. Xlinks will build 7 GW of solar power and 3.5 GW of wind power, as well as 20 GWh / 5 GW on-site battery storage, in Morocco. The transmission cable will consist of four cables. The first cable will be active in early 2027 and the other three are expected to launch in 2029. An agreement has been reached with National Grid for two 1.8 GW connections at Alverdiscott in Devon.

Xlinks says that the The Morocco-UK power project will be able to power 7 million UK homes by 2030. When completed, the project will be able to supply 8% of Britain’s electricity needs.

Xlinks notes that solar panels generate around three times more electricity in Morocco than in the UK. In addition, solar panels in Morocco will generate up to five times more electricity from January to March than those in the UK.

The project is expected to create nearly 10,000 jobs in Morocco, and 2,000 of these positions will be permanent.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from rtsunswhome.files.wordpress.com]

[Linked Image from electrical-engineering-portal.com]

[Linked Image from rtsunswhome.files.wordpress.com]

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's one heckuva extension cord. Plus; it's coming all the way from North Africa where that power supply could be turned off at any time depending on the local political climate. I guess they will then blame it on "climate change". They sure do get a lot of mileage out of that excuse.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Makes perfect sense to out-source critical infrastructure to an unstable 3rd world country and connect it by a 2,000 mile long undefendable cable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What could possibly go wrong?

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I think Morocco is pretty stable.

Northern Africa has got to be an ideal location for wind farms.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Long range DC power... I must admit I never finished my EE degree, but everything I know still says that DC power is inefficient over distance, but building a power plant 1200 miles away from the site of usage isn't exactly smart anyways. I wonder how big of a nuke plant they could build for 22 Bil...oh yeah, and how many citizens they'd employ verses foreign ones. fuggin twats

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Build a nuke plant in the UK?

Surely not in Muslim Morocco.

Yeah...the DC bit confused me too.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It can't end well.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You could build 2 or 3 nuke plants for $23B. The permitting and construction would take many years, however. The biggest problem is that the US and Western Europe have not built plants for years and the supply chain and expertise is lacking and the standards are incredibly rigorous. China has been able get new plants up in running in few years but they don't have to mess around salamander studies, property rights and protestors.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
how big a breaker do you need for that mf'er?

My diploma is a DD214
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No comments on the size of that battery setup? 20GWH of battery storage on site..... That's a fair bit of juice on standby.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Long range DC power... I must admit I never finished my EE degree, but everything I know still says that DC power is inefficient over distance, but building a power plant 1200 miles away from the site of usage isn't exactly smart anyways. I wonder how big of a nuke plant they could build for 22 Bil...oh yeah, and how many citizens they'd employ verses foreign ones. fuggin twats

You made me go look:

https://www.energy.gov/articles/war-currents-ac-vs-dc-power

Starting in the late 1880s, Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla were embroiled in a battle now known as the War of the Currents.

Edison developed direct current -- current that runs continually in a single direction, like in a battery or a fuel cell. During the early years of electricity, direct current (shorthanded as DC) was the standard in the U.S.

But there was one problem. Direct current is not easily converted to higher or lower voltages.

Tesla believed that alternating current (or AC) was the solution to this problem. Alternating current reverses direction a certain number of times per second -- 60 in the U.S. -- and can be converted to different voltages relatively easily using a transformer.

Edison, not wanting to lose the royalties he was earning from his direct current patents, began a campaign to discredit alternating current. He spread misinformation saying that alternating current was more dangerous, even going so far as to publicly electrocute stray animals using alternating current to prove his point.

The Chicago World’s Fair -- also known as the World’s Columbian Exposition -- took place in 1893, at the height of the Current War.

General Electric bid to electrify the fair using Edison’s direct current for $554,000, but lost to George Westinghouse, who said he could power the fair for only $399,000 using Tesla’s alternating current.

That same year, the Niagara Falls Power Company decided to award Westinghouse -- who had licensed Tesla’s polyphase AC induction motor patent -- the contract to generate power from Niagara Falls. Although some doubted that the falls could power all of Buffalo, New York, Tesla was convinced it could power not only Buffalo, but also the entire Eastern United States.

On Nov. 16, 1896, Buffalo was lit up by the alternating current from Niagara Falls. By this time General Electric had decided to jump on the alternating current train, too.

It would appear that alternating current had all but obliterated direct current, but in recent years direct current has seen a bit of a renaissance.

Today our electricity is still predominantly powered by alternating current, but computers, LEDs, solar cells and electric vehicles all run on DC power. And methods are now available for converting direct current to higher and lower voltages. Since direct current is more stable, companies are finding ways of using high voltage direct current (HVDC) to transport electricity long distances with less electricity loss.

So it appears the War of the Currents may not be over yet. But instead of continuing in a heated AC vs. DC battle, it looks like the two currents will end up working parallel to each other in a sort of hybrid armistice.

And none of that would be possible without the genius of both Tesla and Edison.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch
An agreement has been reached with National Grid for two 1.8 GW connections at Alverdiscott in Devon.

If that's for 2 of the 4 cables it seems like they only expect to net 7.2 of the 10.5 jiggwatts in merry old. The rest just gets pumped into global warming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch

You made me go look:

https://www.energy.gov/articles/war-currents-ac-vs-dc-power

Starting in the late 1880s, Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla were embroiled in a battle now known as the War of the Currents.

Edison developed direct current -- current that runs continually in a single direction, like in a battery or a fuel cell. During the early years of electricity, direct current (shorthanded as DC) was the standard in the U.S.

But there was one problem. Direct current is not easily converted to higher or lower voltages.

Tesla believed that alternating current (or AC) was the solution to this problem. Alternating current reverses direction a certain number of times per second -- 60 in the U.S. -- and can be converted to different voltages relatively easily using a transformer.

Edison, not wanting to lose the royalties he was earning from his direct current patents, began a campaign to discredit alternating current. He spread misinformation saying that alternating current was more dangerous, even going so far as to publicly electrocute stray animals using alternating current to prove his point.

The Chicago World’s Fair -- also known as the World’s Columbian Exposition -- took place in 1893, at the height of the Current War.

General Electric bid to electrify the fair using Edison’s direct current for $554,000, but lost to George Westinghouse, who said he could power the fair for only $399,000 using Tesla’s alternating current.

That same year, the Niagara Falls Power Company decided to award Westinghouse -- who had licensed Tesla’s polyphase AC induction motor patent -- the contract to generate power from Niagara Falls. Although some doubted that the falls could power all of Buffalo, New York, Tesla was convinced it could power not only Buffalo, but also the entire Eastern United States.

On Nov. 16, 1896, Buffalo was lit up by the alternating current from Niagara Falls. By this time General Electric had decided to jump on the alternating current train, too.

It would appear that alternating current had all but obliterated direct current, but in recent years direct current has seen a bit of a renaissance.

Today our electricity is still predominantly powered by alternating current, but computers, LEDs, solar cells and electric vehicles all run on DC power. And methods are now available for converting direct current to higher and lower voltages. Since direct current is more stable, companies are finding ways of using high voltage direct current (HVDC) to transport electricity long distances with less electricity loss.

So it appears the War of the Currents may not be over yet. But instead of continuing in a heated AC vs. DC battle, it looks like the two currents will end up working parallel to each other in a sort of hybrid armistice.

And none of that would be possible without the genius of both Tesla and Edison.

Great addition to this thread.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mega stupid, to tie your nation’s power to a Muslim state

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Long range DC power... I must admit I never finished my EE degree, but everything I know still says that DC power is inefficient over distance, ...

DC has lower line losses over long distances. Voltage conversion on DC adds losses but the net result for long high voltage DC transmission is greater efficiency.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are such a stupid species, prolific but stupid.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Remember last year when we were energy independent and had $1.92 gas without our money going to countries that hate us? I miss those days.

I'm not an isolationist but it seems like a good move strategicly to control your own energy, manufacture your own advanced tech, make your own meds and medical supplies, and be able to produce your own food. At least we have price protection on sugar even though it just means we get corn syrup in everything.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Long range DC power... I must admit I never finished my EE degree, but everything I know still says that DC power is inefficient over distance, ...

DC has lower line losses over long distances. Voltage conversion on DC adds losses but the net result for long high voltage DC transmission is greater efficiency.

Supposedly the skin effect causes some losses even at 50/60Hz. In Tesla and Edison's time the DC voltages were very low compared to AC which caused the efficiency difference. Modern power electronics make 1+ MV DC possible.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 76 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.