Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by akasparky
[quote=gregintenn]Can you retired guys let me in on the secret of how you transitioned from the working world to nothing?

[ About 65% of the retires I know start drinking before lunch, make the early bird special by 3pm and eat, drink some more and then waddle off to bed just after sunset.

Get up the next morning and repeat. [quote]

I live in a 55+ RV Resort during the 6 months of winter, I see this every day, both men and women. Not 65% I dont think but a sizable number of them. Really sad to see people wasting away what's left of their lives.

Last edited by jnyork; 09/30/21.

[Linked Image]
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
First, lose the alarm clock.

We have almost 300 acres of woods, so I stay busy "working in the woods". My wife works in her garden. We take a vacation for 6 weeks in summer to salmon fish (as Rocky said, only on weekdays), otherwise we always have projects that are underway. In the dead of winter, I start pulling equipment into our lower shop for maintenance.

The other thing we enjoy doing is helping others on the creek that are older than us and sharing our extra salmon and veggies with them.

But the thing I enjoy most is the first thing listed. It is a reminder that by and large, my time is my time.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Congratulations on a well earned retirement!

Things to do:
Fish more if you are a fisherman
Hunt more if you are a hunter or find a new type of game to hunt
Shoot more, take up a new shooting sport
Add something to an existing hobby. IE, learn to cast bullets if you are a reloader. Learn to tie flies if you are a fisherman
Attend more of your Grandkids sporting events
Travel/Vacation more
Do some projects around the house, shop, deer camp ect that you have been putting off
Take on a chore that you are paying someone else to do. Yard work, cutting wood, ect
Join a gym and work out a few hours a week
Volunteer for stuff. Church, Community, Gun Club, ect

And enjoy Life! You worked for it.

Last edited by lightman; 09/30/21.

lightman
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Get a flintlock or rifle musket, dress like Dan’l Boone or NB Forrest, get into reenacting.

If you attend an event you’ll quickly learn that ever’body back then were elderly grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Found it !

[Linked Image from img.ifunny.co]

Last edited by prplbkrr; 09/30/21.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by prplbkrr

Found it !

Yep😀

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prplbkrr

Found it !

That's great. smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrats OP, still a few years for me. I have the house to take care and both cabins. Plenty to do when I retire.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought I had to catch up on 30+ years of chores/projects around the house. It took me a while to figure out that it doesn't all have to be done at once.
Now I've settled in to a routine where I do certain things on certain days. Church on Sundays, shoot trap on Tuesdays, skeet on Wednesdays, golf on Thursdays, maybe some house work on Fridays. Weekends I usually keep open for family since I'm the only one that's retired. You'll figure it out. The biggest thing for me was all the stress of my job that just went away.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I retired at age 53 twenty years ago. I live on an island in Lake Champlain and fish winter and summer around 180 days a year. I have a small orchard and a couple gardens on my property which keeps me going when I am not hunting or fishing.

living the good life every day
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
If you have your health, go find another job. Everybody is looking for good help and will pay for it.

LOL, that's not retirement. That's work again. I retired 2 years ago and have had a couple job offers for about 1/2 to a 1/3 I was making while working. I could not see going back to work and be under some one else's schedule. I haven't been that bored yet. I worked at the same place for 42 years and figured that was enough for this life time. Life is good.

3825 24336
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I retired 6 weeks ago and I am really struggling with it. I use to manage 100s of people, Constantly traveling around the world with my work. Working six to seven day a week. No I am spending most of my time in the gym and just hanging out. I have had this lifestyle for over 30 years and it is really hard to change. At least I have an understanding wife and a great psychologist to help me work through this major life change. I will start volunteering at the Veterans home and the animal refuge.

Last edited by andrews1958; 09/30/21.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

U guys need to relax........

UR retired now

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
It took me 3 months before I could wake up at daylight and not panic because I thought I was late to work.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by victoro
It took me 3 months before I could wake up at daylight and not panic because I thought I was late to work.

Yep. That takes a little while. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Congrats Greg, relax and enjoy it

Originally Posted by Cretch
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
If you have your health, go find another job. Everybody is looking for good help and will pay for it.

LOL, that's not retirement. That's work again. I retired 2 years ago and have had a couple job offers for about 1/2 to a 1/3 I was making while working. I could not see going back to work and be under some one else's schedule. I haven't been that bored yet. I worked at the same place for 42 years and figured that was enough for this life time. Life is good.

To each their own I reckon. I’ve worked for myself for 45+ years. Never considered retirement. Doubt I ever will. It’s always been a game of strategy for me, and one that I enjoy playing. When I look back I never worked for the money.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Chill.....
And then go do what you want to do when you want to do it.

No obligations to jack schit......

Enjoy it!!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Smoke a Pipe!?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've got so much I want to do.

Wood working. I am horrible at it but have lots of ideas of things to build.

Dog training.

Reloading.

Lots of fish to catch and lots of critters to kill.

Carry on.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.