Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
About 5 years ago strokes shut me down , permanently. went from full throttle to park . read, watch old movies , etc.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Take some time to do nothing.

before you know it you will find that you have things to do that you never knew you had to do.

Main thing is take it easy. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone should do their own thing. I was a week end hunter. When I retired I spent 55 days at the deer camp. Did that for over 12 years. Be sure you get your fail share of your favorite hobby. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Can you retired guys let me in on the secret of how you transitioned from the working world to nothing?

You need to do something, but now it doesn't have to be something you really don't want to do, and it doesn't have to start at 7:00AM. It took me months to not wake up at 6:00AM thinking I was late for work. I got over it. Now if a 3 day project takes me 2 weeks, I'm fine with it. Do something.....don't just sit!

Last edited by reivertom; 09/30/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Easy:

Shoot and hunt the North American West from August to January, with the occasional tuna fishing trip mixed in. That will include home for the holidays.

Head to SE US in February, hit the largemouth bass spawn in March, interrupted by a week Argentina for the red deer roar, and pop a few doves while you are there. Hit the mangroves in pick your state with a fly rod for April, then catch the tarpon migration in May in Florida. South Africa in June, maybe a little Hawaii time in July, then home to hit the press and the range in time for August.

Or any number of variations of the above.

Too much?

Oh yeah ... I forgot Alaska ... various salmonid runs and tags to draw.

Man there’s a ton more. Keep you busy for decades.

Last edited by RickBin; 09/30/21. Reason: Forgot Alaska

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep trying to retire, at nearly 68 I have watched friends die at 65 and never have a day off. One of my best friends got sick at lunch and headed to his apartment to lie down and they found him, motor running in the ditch, cold and lifeless. I have 200 acres in Weakley County, covered up with deer, and an 8 year old grandson. I plan to finish this last project and quit making my bosses a lot of money they do not share.

I picked up a Genesis No Till Drill and got my first fall planting done, next spring I will do more and also plant my own dang dove field. Have 20 Chestnut trees that are 10 years old, if I had time I could stay busy running deer out from under them during bow season.

I have fished exactly 2 days in the last 5 years and am about to spend more time at that. I have lots to do, a house to build for old folks and I plan to go back to Sporting Clays and skeet shooting.

You need to come down to West TN and we will talk about next session of the legislature too, you can help me wheedle the GA...

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Have fun. I should have retired 5 years earlier, when i was tough enough to do the things i wanted to do, but I liked my patients and didnt trust others to take care of my friends and glaucoma patients.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RickBin
Easy:

Shoot and hunt the North American West from August to January, with the occasional tuna fishing trip mixed in. That will include home for the holidays.

Head to SE US in February, hit the largemouth bass spawn in March, interrupted by a week Argentina for the red deer roar, and pop a few doves while you are there. Hit the mangroves in pick your state with a fly rod for April, then catch the tarpon migration in May in Florida. South Africa in June, maybe a little Hawaii time in July, then home to hit the press and the range in time for August.

Or any number of variations of the above.

Too much?

Oh yeah ... I forgot Alaska ... various salmonid runs and tags to draw.

Man there’s a ton more. Keep you busy for decades.

Well, there is that for keeping one occupied.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I dont think anyone ever laid on their deathbed wishing they had ever worked one more day.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I dont know how the fughk i ever had time to work. Thanks Rick and hunting and fishing and.....

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been retired seven years today. I was 51 when I pulled the plug.. I have no regrets. I do what I want to most of the time. Do what makes you happy, life is short!

Last edited by Scout308; 09/30/21.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now that your time is yours, make sure you spend some of it keeping in shape. Doesnt have to be extreme, just a half hour of cardio 3 to 5 times a week, brisk walk, bike ride, trail hike, etc. plus 2 to 3 half hour sessions per week on the weights and machines. You will look better, feel better, and -absent bad luck- live longer with a better quality of life. Enjoy!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Hardest part is learning you dont have to have things tied up by Sunday evening. You can miss the weekend traffic, stay an extra day. Mentor grandkids or others.

If you have the health take advantage.

My plans were to get the good camping spot early, fish, hunt. What happened is I finished what I could of my last project, gave instructions to my cohort, shook hands and took my wife to hospital the next morning for a life altering series of operations. She is now disabled and I am athe caregiver

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by horse1
My dad retired @ 56. He needed crappy weather once about every 12-15 days so he could do laundry. Other than that, fish/shoot gophers/prairie dogs all spring and summer, hunt all fall, load ammo and tie spinners until spring.

Originally Posted by horse1
My dad retired @ 56. He needed crappy weather once about every 12-15 days so he could do laundry. Other than that, fish/shoot gophers/prairie dogs all spring and summer, hunt all fall, load ammo and tie spinners until spring.

That !

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I sailed a 35’ sloop to Australia…

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I never plan ahead and take each day as they come.Been working for 20 years now.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by reivertom
Can you retired guys let me in on the secret of how you transitioned from the working world to nothing?

You need to do something, but now it doesn't have to be something you really don't want to do, and it doesn't have to start at 7:00AM. It took me months to not wake up at 6:00AM thinking I was late for work. I got over it. Now if a 3 day project takes me 2 weeks, I'm fine with it. Do something.....don't just sit!

This^^^^. It doesn't have to be amazing, just do at least one thing every day. Do it on your terms and don't feel guilty about it. Also try to find a friend in the same situation to do things with.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Start an Affair with Kristi Noem.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Some people are "retirable" and some aren't. Don't try the "nothing" route if you are the industrious type. It will kill you.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Some people are "retirable" and some aren't. Don't try the "nothing" route if you are the industrious type. It will kill you.

This.

"Nothing" doesn't even equate to me.

I am always busy. Always planning ahead on what project to do next.

Having a ranch, cattle, and a retirement business, as well as places and things to hunt, it stays pretty busy, but I do all of it at my own pace mostly. I don't care much for deadlines.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
119 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.