Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/hodgdon-closes-goex-blackpowder-plant/

Hodgdon Powder Company announced it would cease manufacturing operations at the GOEX blackpowder manufacturing facility in Camp Minden, La., effective immediately. The closure eliminates the only domestic source of blackpowder in the United States. According to a company press release, Hodgdon will evaluate "strategic options for the blackpowder business," including a potential sale of the company.

The Camp Minden facility will wind down operations during the evaluation process. All affected employees will be retained through Dec. 31, 2021, to assist during the closure of the facility and will receive severance commensurate with their years of service. "The Hodgdon Powder Co., Inc has been honored to have been a part of the GOEX Powder legacy and sustains a fond appreciation for sporting customers who have enjoyed shooting GOEX Powders," the release reads.

GOEX Powder has a long, storied history that starts in 1802 with the building of a blackpowder plant on the Brandywine River in Delaware by E.I. Du Pont de Nemours. Production expanded with the building of the Belin plant in Moosic, Penn., in 1912, and the facility supplied military blackpowder during both world wars, as well as the Korean and Vietnam wars. In the 1970s, the Belin plant was incorporated into the GOEX family, and production moved to Minden, La., in 1997. On Jan. 1, 2009, GOEX was purchased by Hodgdon Powder Company, which touted its philosophy of, "We are here today. We were here yesterday. We will be here tomorrow." Hodgdon spent years updating equipment at the Minden facility, enhancing employee safety and blackpowder quality.

Despite Hodgdon's efforts, the GOEX facility at Camp Minden has a history of manufacturing incidents stretching back to 1998, including a June 2011 incident where 1,000 lbs. of blackpowder exploded. The latest incident at GOEX occurred on June 18, 2021, when an explosion required the evacuation of 15 employees inside the facility. Nobody was injured, but the plant observed a 24- to 48-hour waiting period to ensure that nothing else at the facility ignited.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just releasing news like that would generate a hoard of hoarders to keep them liquid for a few more months.

So is it a safety issue or lack of demand?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I shudder to think what this news will do to the prices of existing stocks.
Last 1 lb. can I bought about a year ago cost me $55.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a black powder revolver I’ve never shot. I might just sell it now. I was hoping to shoot some smoky fireballs with it one day.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffyD
I shudder to think what this news will do to the prices of existing stocks.
Last 1 lb. can I bought about a year ago cost me $55.

Well scheidt, last can I bought was $23 or so.

Going to have to make a 3 hr trip over to the big town to the west of here, check the pawn shop which actually carried real BP, had the magazines to comply with State and Local FDs.

Hodgdon makes a BP substitute, no??????????

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

For crying out loud. $55/#???

I just hope that china doesn't monopolize the market.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Their pyrodex and triple 7 plants put their GOEX plant out of business.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

For crying out loud. $55/#???

I just hope that china doesn't monopolize the market.

That's life in NJ, fellas. And that was the only shop in south Jersey that still carries it. Owner said he pays the State over $5,000 in licenses and fees each year.
And it's illegal to have it shipped to my home!

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Every supplier I'm aware of has been out of stock for months already.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Longer barrels will help when burning poor quality homemade powder.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rumor has it that they already have a buyer for the plant. Talked to one of the guys at Buffalo Arms today and he said they were briefed by Hodgdon that they already had the buyer lined up.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I hope so!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
who is the patriot who still sells kegs of homemade?
wait..
don't answer that...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's some bad news. Hope they sell soon.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought 3F Goex at Grafs for 18/lb last year. It has Graf label, but says made by goex. I think I paid hazmat and a nominal shipping fee so buying a case was pretty inexpensive. Local shops ask 25 or so. Most gun shops have BP because PA has a nice long flintlock only season.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Terryk
I bought 3F Goex at Grafs for 18/lb last year. It has Graf label, but says made by goex. I think I paid hazmat and a nominal shipping fee so buying a case was pretty inexpensive. Local shops ask 25 or so. Most gun shops have BP because PA has a nice long flintlock only season.

Wonder if they ship to Cali.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know many BP shooters but they all use Pyrodex. In an Idaho ML season, you have to use loose powder, no pellets.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You need black for flintlocks. Pyrodex will work for cap ignition guns (dont sell that revolver), and you can do duplex loads if needed for flintlocks.

Safety and modern equipment!!! The duPont plant was a family apprenticeship and kept close.

Homemade is problematic if you really mill, dry, sheet, flake, screen and coat with graphite. I dont know a source of real ash charcoal, sulphur, and saltpeter. And no practical way to test lots

duPont was working on extruded shapes to improve it when smokeless came along

Last edited by kennyd; 10/02/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
Just releasing news like that would generate a hoard of hoarders to keep them liquid for a few more months.

So is it a safety issue or lack of demand?

You can't hoard what isn't available.
Shelfs have been empty for quite a while.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Grice has 2F and 4F in stock for 26.95 a pound. I'll have to make a trip up this week and buy a few pounds of each.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
221 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 1,598 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.