Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, but you use the match-lite stuff. Poser.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
yeah, I've never done this stuff before....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK then, lose the coat and tie, put your eye-talian loafers on the shoe-holder and come on over, I'll show ya how it's done.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I refuse to walk that far bare-footed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ah, so it's true, you were wearing a coat and tie!

IC B2

Alamosa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The coal was a big success.
I did not sleep in the tent but the fellas said that they got up to feed it a lot less often than with the wood stove.

They said they were stoking it until this little stove glowed red. (That part made me a little nervous). They averaged about 10lbs of coal per night.

Thanks to K Salonek for the recommendadtion on the place to buy coal. Was able to buy 70# bags from that place.

[Linked Image]

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How would charcoal briquettes work in a small Ti stove? If nothing else, they might make a great starter to get the wood dried out and burning well at high altitude. Maybe just a couple on a bed of sticks. Getting my small Ti stove going at 10k+ was noticeably harder than at sea level. Going to have to experiment with this.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by prm
How would charcoal briquettes work in a small Ti stove? If nothing else, they might make a great starter to get the wood dried out and burning well at high altitude. Maybe just a couple on a bed of sticks. Getting my small Ti stove going at 10k+ was noticeably harder than at sea level. Going to have to experiment with this.

I soaked cotton balls in candle wax. They will burn for 5-7 minutes. I'd get some good tinder gathered, then light the cotton ball. Feed the tinder slowly and she should go pretty quick. I like the waxed cotton balls a lot. Once lit, it provides just enough instant heat to get a draft going quickly too. Equals less smoke in the tipi. Maybe they'll help you get it going. Super easy to make.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I got a couple bags of anthracite coal for use in my Davis tent stove with coal grate. My thoughts were that I could shovel in some coal before bed and it would keep burning all night. Didn't work so well as the coal needs to have the damper full open to burn correctly. With it throttled back as you would before going to sleep the coal didn't burn completely.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I prefer charcoal to coal......

I tried charcoal this year and it works dandy!!! Still warm in the morning, just open the air to it, pitch in a couple logs and fire gets going quick, thanks Huntsman22!

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I could restart this one. I have a thread going on the deer hunting page about my upcoming Adirondack Wall Tent Camp. My intention was to stockpile some firewood for the November hunt when my wife and I were camped there a couple weeks ago. That didn’t work out for a few reasons. Anyway, I got to thinking about burning coal. The stove I got has a coal grate. So I found a supply of Anthricite stove coal and gave it a try yesterday. I got a good hardwood kindling fire going and piled the coal on. Not much luck on the coal burning. I kept adding hardwood, but the coal didn’t want to burn. I’m thinking about maybe trying charcoal or pressed wood logs, anything to get the coal lit and keep it burning. I’m boating in to the campsite so 2-300 lbs of coal is in my weight limit. Gathering firewood in the area I’m going to isn’t really feasible at this point. Any tips at all are really appreciated.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by miguel
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I could restart this one. I have a thread going on the deer hunting page about my upcoming Adirondack Wall Tent Camp. My intention was to stockpile some firewood for the November hunt when my wife and I were camped there a couple weeks ago. That didn’t work out for a few reasons. Anyway, I got to thinking about burning coal. The stove I got has a coal grate. So I found a supply of Anthricite stove coal and gave it a try yesterday. I got a good hardwood kindling fire going and piled the coal on. Not much luck on the coal burning. I kept adding hardwood, but the coal didn’t want to burn. I’m thinking about maybe trying charcoal or pressed wood logs, anything to get the coal lit and keep it burning. I’m boating in to the campsite so 2-300 lbs of coal is in my weight limit. Gathering firewood in the area I’m going to isn’t really feasible at this point. Any tips at all are really appreciated.

Anthacite is a lot harder to start.Try bituminous.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by miguel

Coal takes a long time to ignite and burn freely, so that is where a lot of people fail. A coal fire burns from the bottom up therefore air needs to draft up. Many people start a fire with small twigs or kindling and and add larger pieces of wood then applying coal. I have found that it helps to place large pieces of wood down for a base first then build a fire on top of that. Start with a small combustible, then twigs or thin kindling, then add larger pieces as fire increase. Lightly apply coal, At this point you should be about 30 minutes from the start. After another 15 minutes add more coal across the entire fire box. After another 15 minutes apply another layer of coal. At this point the large wood pieces that were laid first should be burnt up and coal should have dancing ladies.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In my titanium tent stove, I’ve been burning the pressed sawdust/wood pieces and they burn much longer than any softwood. The can be found in bricks or log shaped. In my stove, the smaller ones ignite better. I think the bricks sawn lengthwise might be even better. You add them to a fire that’s already hot. Our farm store sold a 20lb bag of kiln dried bug free hardwood for about $10, and that works too. Whatever you decide, test it at home so you get no surprises. DON’T plan on the chemical based fire logs in a stove. Just trust me on that one. Also, if using a Seek Outside Ti stove, replace or discard the old style spark arrestor. Thank me later.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Kawi good to see you on here

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you try to go more than 2 days without cleaning out the chimney pipe, it will smoke you out. Other than that, It’s great.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What I found with coal is you want big lumps as in football or bigger size. Mix in with wood and it burns easy. This is with bituminous coal. I get mine in Sheridan, Wyoming and always bring a few hundred pound sacks to camp.
Anthracite is much harder to get going and requires much more air, which is why it works poorly in most tent stoves.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just use one of the Mr. Heater models that sits on top of a 5 gallon propane bottle. Instant heat.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rickt300
I just use one of the Mr. Heater models that sits on top of a 5 gallon propane bottle. Instant heat.
I used a Big Buddy heater in my camp trailer for years. I had it plumbed into the propane lines. I got tired of water running down the windows and walls so I just finished replacing it with a forced air furnace for $600. It hasn't been cold enough give it a good workout yet.
The Big Buddy puts out 18k BTU on high which will heat a pretty big tent.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There's coal mines in Northern Colorado. The coal mines I've worked for would sell a pickup load pretty damn cheap.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 219DW, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.