Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Hey Whackem, you go to work so you can pay some fella to service your wench?

That’s cutting to the chase!

Despite reports to the contrary, I’ve always done better with my handloads than factory, though to be fair most, but certainly not all factory I’ve bought has been pretty basic stuff. Even so-called Match ammo has been worse, and I’m not a super-fussy handloader by any means.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ouch. Good one Dan.

Swifty
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used to PD shoot with a guy that used a Dillon progressive to load his 223. He occasionally had a bad round, no powder, or other issues.
I’ve been loading since 1974 on a single stage rock checker. I’m currently loading about 20 rifle cartridges and five handgun. Works for me.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nothing wrong with a single stage press for the most part, and it has been my path since 1970, with exception of supporting shotguns for clays. Use a MEC progressive for that. I don’t load for machine guns so life is good. I doubt that progressive presses are useful for pursuing precision.

Factoring cost of time in pursuit of the pastime is absurd. Saving money? Maybe, maybe not. Check prices on .416 Rigby ammo and get back in touch. For that matter, just about any ammo price these days is nutz. Components aren’t cheap these days, but the prices will drop in time, and a little common sense applied to component purchase will go a fair ways down the road. Another option is casting. One can scrounge or purchase lead and even today $1/# is doable. One pound will make about 13 Quigley bullets, or ~155 Hornet bullets. Do the math.

I have little use for hot cartridges or whiz-bang velocity, but precision gives me a smile. Factory ammo is generally better these days, but I have found none other than .22 RF that I can’t beat. Sooner or later I’ll win the RF Derby.

Good points dan. For the guys that say they don't save money on reloading, they are doing it wrong for sure. The thing that pops into my head is this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

10 shots of pure enjoyment. Lets see what 10 shots would cost if that would have been factory ammo:

Nosler 9.3x62mm ammo $117.99/box

That ammo is $117.99/box, so that fun group would have cost me $59.00. Yet, it cost me no more than $6.00 for components. Guys get some really silly ideas here at times. No logic or real life experiences based opinions. You see it in many threads here. Makes your head spin.

Just for chits and giggles, how much do you think it would cost to load up some 270 winchester ammo with this bag of bullets I recently bought:

Yes, that is $5.00/bag of 100. My only thought is if reloading isn't costing a guy less money, that guy is not buying right. Even in times like these, you can still find good deals out there.

Everyone seems to not figure in the time spent reloading.
Time is money.
I use to reload until I figured out the REAL cost.
I could go to my shop and work and make more than I saved reloading.
How do you put a price on your free time? Time spent with the family? Time spent relaxing and doing what you enjoy?
If you honestly enjoy doing it and it's your hobby that's one thing but just doing it to save money is a bogus claim.

I'm loading 9mm for under $115 per K with components I bought before this latest crisis....pretty sure you have your head in the sand!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348

That’s cutting to the chase!

Despite reports to the contrary, I’ve always done better with my handloads than factory, though to be fair most, but certainly not all factory I’ve bought has been pretty basic stuff. Even so-called Match ammo has been worse, and I’m not a super-fussy handloader by any means.

I've done way better with handloads tailored to my rifles. No factory ammo can compare. As of right now, I have ammo loaded up for every rifle I own. But if I didn't, I have components to load ammo very easily. All of my brass is prepped/primed/polished and ready to go if need be. I keep them in boxes like this:

Time involved doesn't really bother me because its a hobby and I like to shoot. The guys saying you need to factor in time, are stretching it a bit. But I don't think anyone here is buying it. To say they are totally full of chidt wouldn't be far from the truth. Even in recent times, I've been able to find great deals on components. The cost of those components is far cheaper than loaded ammo. That's always been the case. The reason I started loading was to save myself money. The first cartridge I loaded for was a 300WBY. Components were very cheap at the time and it only made sense to get set up with rolling my own. After loading a couple hundred rounds of that ammo, I figured my loading equipment had paid for itself.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dale06
I used to PD shoot with a guy that used a Dillon progressive to load his 223. He occasionally had a bad round, no powder, or other issues.
I’ve been loading since 1974 on a single stage rock checker. I’m currently loading about 20 rifle cartridges and five handgun. Works for me.

Same here dale. I also use a rockchucher. Never have an issue because I am very vigilant about making sure every case gets the correct charge. You mention 223, as that is one of the cartridges the op wants to load. On a single stage, I load 300 rounds/hr. That is precision quality ammo, not some of the garbage you buy at the stores these days...

That's ammo I run through my AR's^^^^ This is how it shot in the last AR match:

Iron sight AR:

So, while loading your own may take some time, it also has its benefits...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Nothing wrong with a single stage press for the most part, and it has been my path since 1970, with exception of supporting shotguns for clays. Use a MEC progressive for that. I don’t load for machine guns so life is good. I doubt that progressive presses are useful for pursuing precision.

Factoring cost of time in pursuit of the pastime is absurd. Saving money? Maybe, maybe not. Check prices on .416 Rigby ammo and get back in touch. For that matter, just about any ammo price these days is nutz. Components aren’t cheap these days, but the prices will drop in time, and a little common sense applied to component purchase will go a fair ways down the road. Another option is casting. One can scrounge or purchase lead and even today $1/# is doable. One pound will make about 13 Quigley bullets, or ~155 Hornet bullets. Do the math.

I have little use for hot cartridges or whiz-bang velocity, but precision gives me a smile. Factory ammo is generally better these days, but I have found none other than .22 RF that I can’t beat. Sooner or later I’ll win the RF Derby.

Good points dan. For the guys that say they don't save money on reloading, they are doing it wrong for sure. The thing that pops into my head is this:

10 shots of pure enjoyment. Lets see what 10 shots would cost if that would have been factory ammo:

Nosler 9.3x62mm ammo $117.99/box

That ammo is $117.99/box, so that fun group would have cost me $59.00. Yet, it cost me no more than $6.00 for components. Guys get some really silly ideas here at times. No logic or real life experiences based opinions. You see it in many threads here. Makes your head spin.

Just for chits and giggles, how much do you think it would cost to load up some 270 winchester ammo with this bag of bullets I recently bought:

Yes, that is $5.00/bag of 100. My only thought is if reloading isn't costing a guy less money, that guy is not buying right. Even in times like these, you can still find good deals out there.

Everyone seems to not figure in the time spent reloading.
Time is money.
I use to reload until I figured out the REAL cost.
I could go to my shop and work and make more than I saved reloading.
How do you put a price on your free time? Time spent with the family? Time spent relaxing and doing what you enjoy?
If you honestly enjoy doing it and it's your hobby that's one thing but just doing it to save money is a bogus claim.

You and leakywaders should go get a room. Leave the reloading and thinking to the real men in the room...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hell, pretty much all my guns have never seen a factory round since I've owned them. If I get a few boxes of factory ammo to fall into my lap I immediately sell them. Factory ammo is generally way better now than when I was coming up but I don't care I would rather load my own, and I really don't care how long it takes me to do it. "What's time to a pig?"

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BSA - GFY in between your barrel cooldowns....

OK, I reload for 45 colt, 45 scholfield, 45 acp, 38 super, 357/38, 44 russian/colt/mag, 9mm; 30/06, 270, 257 weatherby, 300 weatherby, and 45/70 off the top of my head.

I enjoy it...I'm no expert. Nothing's blown-up and my reloads are more accurate than factory.

A friend of mine wanted to learn to reload to save money. He bought a bag of 45 long colt starline brass. I helped him prep the cases and use my primers, bullets, and powder to load his first two boxes of ammo. Later he went to the range and shot his smokewagon. Afterwards he came back over and we talked about what needed to be done to reload that brass. He just basically said that he was giving the brass to me and was going to just by factory...it wasn't worth his time...

Some people change their own oil, some people let Walmartians change theirs. I'm ok with either.

But with BSA - the dick - there is apparently only his view on what his time is worth...so again GFY.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That’s your cue to get back in the corner while the adults are talking.

Leave the reloading and thinking to the real men in the room...

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by SLM

Wish I could load 300 rds start to finish in an hour!....

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So does the village idiot.

Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by SLM

Wish I could load 300 rds start to finish in an hour!....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When in my 20’s, 30’s and 40’s I could possibly put a dollar amount on my time to see if it was wasted. Now when the next stop is 70 I realized that any morning that I wake up is a damn good day. My ticket to ride could be punched at any second which makes it real hard to put a dollar amount I on what I like to do. 10,000 an hour or 100,000 per? For those that do, back in the mid 90’s I kept a running tally on what I spent to harvest a buck that year. After words I never kept tally again as 30 bucks a pound didn’t quite jive with 3-4 bucks a pound for beef.
I also figured up what my spring turkey hunt cost and all I will say is it would have been 30 times cheaper to go to the store, buy a Tom turkey, throw it in the air and shoot it. 😀

Last edited by Swifty52; 10/08/21.

Swifty
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Everyone needs relaxation and decompression time.

Especially these days, with what comes from the so called news networks.

There is no better decompression than time spent at the bench casting bullets or building high quality ammunition. Add to that, the extra sense of pride when that ammunition shoots clover leafs at the range, or when your chosen varmint or big game falls to the ground.

Waste of time my ass! I would shoot my reloads if factory ammo was free.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I've leaned the smaller your target the smaller you miss

make sense ?

This was one of my 'better' Savage barrels when then

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started with a Lee Classic turret press and recommend them. They cost what other single stage presses do and you can take the index rod out and use it as a single stage if you like. That is how I load for rifles. Having the turrets are extremely, extremely, convenient. You set and forget . I bought multiple turrets , one for each cartridge I load. Just pop off one turret and switch to a different cartridge. No need to remeasure and readjust the dies every time. Within the turret is a sizer die \decapper, and most have more than one bullet seater because I played with different brand and\or might load two different bullets. Lee has very short instructional videos for most functions and their support is excellent.
One great tool -addition was the Hornady Cam Lok bullet puller. Makes removing bullets so easy- but can also pull it just slightly remainng in the case so you can reseat accordingly.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.