Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Drpguy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I've thought about it a lot, reloading that is. I don't want to spend a big chunk of cash cause I don't know if I'll like it. Almost everyone says, it should be a progressive setup and Dillon at that. New is too much and Ebay is close to new prices. I did find an older RCBS Ammomaster progressive I could get for about $150 but no extras with it.
Set up will be primarily for rifle .223 now and maybe 30-06 later.
I guess what I'm asking is, is the RCBS Ammomaster a good machine?
I'm almost thinking to just hold out and do some "yard saleing" this spring and maybe find some real cheap stuff, even if it is single stage.

Thanks.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I would suggest starting out with a single stage press setup so that you can fully understand the loading process. This will help you in troubleshooting issues with a progressive setup if you choose to go that way.

YMMV
David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CasualShooter
I would suggest starting out with a single stage press setup so that you can fully understand the loading process. This will help you in troubleshooting issues with a progressive setup if you choose to go that way.

YMMV
David

Agree with the above 100%.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
If you're going to shoot match loads and start shooting in competitions then I would say yes. I don't know if it would be worth it to load plinking rounds as cheap as some of the stuff out there is. It can be a little expensive to get set up in the beginning but there are ways to help control cost. There is nothing wrong with finding a used press.

RCBS is good stuff. Also, if you're loading match you don't need a progressive because every round is done by hand. In other words, you'll weigh each and every powder charge, hand prime each case, and measure each bullet for correct depth. So, a single stage is the way to go. Find a used RCBS Rockchucker and you'll be all set for a press. You don't need the absolute top of the line stuff. You just need adequate gear to make good consistent loads. Make sure you don't skimp on the scale. Get a good quality RCBS beam scale to weigh powder.

I have an old RCBS 4X4 Auto. It's a four station progressive press. I use it because it was given to me. However, I use it like a single stage. Look around for deals. EE on arfcom will have guys selling good single stage presses and equip.

Let me know if I can help any more. Good luck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
as other's have mentioned, a single stage press is the way to start. I have seen too many disasters with newbs trying to learn proper technique on a progressive press. Walk before you run

Sam......

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
DITTO......................

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ll have to disagree with those who say you should start off with a single stage press. Absolutely laughable. If you want to save money buy buying a single stage that’s fine but just about everyone who gets into reloading moves on (albeit those who do move on often use their single stage for second opps).. Hilariously, it’s always cited that somehow a turret press or progressive is going to be like graduating from a tricycle to a space shuttle and unless you are a complete moron, that simply isn’t true. I might be speaking over others, maybe the jump is too much for them. You will learn all the basic principles on any of them.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’ll go along with five of the six before me. Start with a single stage. It’s much easier to avoid problems and if there is a problem, it’s much easier to troubleshoot and solve the problem.

Last edited by navlav8r; 10/02/21.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Single stage. Keep it simple. There's really no need to go with a progressive, unless you do a very high volume of shooting and reloading. Otherwise, see my first sentence.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My word! Starting with a single stage is like wiping your azz with pinecones.
The best bang for your $ is the Lee Classic Turret.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I actually started this year. I went with a single stage RCBS Rebel and love it. All I plan on loading is hunting and defense ammo. I’ve worked up loads for several rifles and pistols this year and have loaded over 700 rounds so far. It’s very rewarding and a labor of love. Wish I’d started reloading years ago.

You ain't about that life.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The elephant in the room is the shortage of components to reload. Powder is starting to appear more frequently on the shelves, higher priced than before but at least available. Primers on the other hand are still very hard to come by and are extremely expensive if you do find them. I loaded for years on a single stage press when I was just loading hunting rounds. I got involved in Cowboy Action shooting last year and quickly realized that a single stage was going to be a full time job trying to keep up with the amount of shooting I was doing. I bought a used Dillon 650 because you couldn't find a new 750 available anywhere. After getting it dialed in and using it I really kicked myself for waiting so long to go to a progressive press. I would have done so much more shooting over the years, specifically handgun shooting, if I had been loading on a progressive. My brother in law loads on an RCBS 4x4 progressive and loves it. If you just read a loading manual and understand the processes of loading a cartridge there is no reason not to start with a progressive. There is some new Dillon stuff starting to become available, my go to is the Sheels website.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by smallfry
I’ll have to disagree with those who say you should start off with a single stage press. Absolutely laughable. If you want to save money buy buying a single stage that’s fine but just about everyone who gets into reloading moves on (albeit those who do move on often use their single stage for second opps).. Hilariously, it’s always cited that somehow a turret press or progressive is going to be like graduating from a tricycle to a space shuttle and unless you are a complete moron, that simply isn’t true. I might be speaking over others, maybe the jump is too much for them. You will learn all the basic principles on any of them.

What an idjit. The op states one cartridge and maybe another later, and that being a 30-06. No one shoots a 30-06 that much to consider a progressive later under the circumstances mentioned in the OP.

Don’t pay any attention to the guy behind the “start with a progressive” post...

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

A “turret press” kit from either RCBC or Lyman! Very practical for most hand loading needs.... unless you get into shooting lots of rounds! If you start shooting a lot, apparently you can then justify getting a progressive press set-up! JMO. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by smallfry

What an idjit. The op states one cartridge and maybe another later, and that being a 30-06. No one shoots a 30-06 that much to consider a progressive later under the circumstances mentioned in the OP.

Don’t pay any attention to the guy behind the “start with a progressive” post...

Yup total idiot. Yup single stage is the only answer. God forbid he gets a progressive or turret.

Last edited by smallfry; 10/03/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were feeding an AR or shooting competitively, I’d get a progressive. For most purposes, a single stage is fine, although a turret lets you set up several sets of dies and leave them in place. I break up my loading into steps so to keep it from getting too much like work. I usually prep 50 or 100 cases and then go back later and load them up.

Yard sales might get you in cheap, but it may be a long time before you find all you need. Buy a solid basic setup for the cartridge you shoot the most, and learn how to do the basic stuff before you start adding stuff. Consider a package deal that may get you all you need to begin.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No one shoots a 30-06 that much to consider a progressive

I use a Dillon 550C to load for my Garand and 03A3. That Garand can eat a lot of ammo quick, especially if you have help. Youngsters with "Call of Duty" experience really want to try a live one.

It's not too much of a problem to go through 200 rounds in a good range session. Same with 5.56.

I've fired 700 rounds of 45 ACP in the last 3 weeks.

I load those 3 cartridges on a progressive, but the bolts actions I use for hunting, .44 Mag revolver, and the couple lever rifles I have get the single-stage treatment, which is what I'd recommend for someone to start out on.

Buy a solid basic setup for the cartridge you shoot the most, and learn how to do the basic stuff before you start adding stuff.

The above statement is very good advice.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Unless you have a stash of powder, primers, and bullets, now isn't a great time to take up handloading. Of course, it's not a great time to be buying factory ammo either.

I too would recommend getting your feet wet with a single stage press. Save the progressive for later if you find your volume of shooting justifies it. A guy who shoots a box or two of ammo occasionally is better off using the money for a progressive to stock up on components, or take the old lady out for dinner.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
In the last couple months I have loaded 2000 9mm, 600 38 Super, and 500 10mm cartridges. As well as turned 200 lbs of lead alloy into bullets for the above. But casting is out of this purview.

While I also have a Rockchucker, and an RCBS JR 3 bolted to the bench, most of the work mentioned above was done on a classic Lee C-Press.
[Linked Image from leeprecision.com]

For several years, a reloading room would have meant one of the children would have to give up their bedroom. When space was tight, the entire reloading kit was stored in a shoe box under the bed. I was shooting several hundred rounds per month, every month, in 30-06, 25-06, 303, 22-250. And experimenting a bit with an old Mauser in 7x57, and then a 308 barrel, and then rechambered to 30-06AI.

For about five years, every load was built on the coffee table in the living room with a Lee hand press. The Win 670 30-06, the Ruger tang safety 25-06, and the Savage 112 22-250 all shot inside MOA from the bench with loads built with this press.[Linked Image from leeprecision.com]

I have been handloading EVERY round I have shot since 1978, with present count of die sets at 25 . I have no need for a progressive.

But then I would prefer to spend time at the loading bench vs sitting on the couch sucking on a beer.

Whatever you decide in the way of a press, ABSOLUTELY buy a high quality beam scale. The best ever on the market was the RCBS 10-10, but it has been discontinued. I highly recommend one find a 10-10 on the used market. E-bay, online classified, Craig's List, whatever.

A quality powder measure will go a long way toward time conservation at the loading bench. The Redding BR 3 is an excellent choice, as is the RCBS Uniflow.

When using a powder measure, powder choice makes a big difference in accuracy and ease of operation. Ball powders flow through the measure with ease and more accurately than do extruded stick powders.

That is a point to consider whether you are using the powder measure on the bench or on a progressive press.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good points about a quality scale and measure speeding up bench time with a single stage press. I would go absolutely bonkers if I didn't have a couple good measures (Harrell's and Belding&Mull) and faced with loading a couple hundred rounds of pistol ammo.

I'll sit down and size, say, a thousand .38 or .45 brass and containerize them for later. With a carbide sizer that chore goes lickity split. Then when the mood strikes I'll process a couple hundred at a time into finished ammo. Of course, my protocols work for me because I'm just a casual handgun shooter, not a competitor who goes through five gallon buckets full of ammo every month.

You don't want to know how slow and laborious a lot of my centerfire rifle handloading is done. Hint: arbor press and LE Wilson hand dies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Unless you have a stash of powder, primers, and bullets, now isn't a great time to take up handloading. Of course, it's not a great time to be buying factory ammo either.

I too would recommend getting your feet wet with a single stage press. Save the progressive for later if you find your volume of shooting justifies it. A guy who shoots a box or two of ammo occasionally is better off using the money for a progressive to stock up on components, or take the old lady out for dinner.

I agree with this 100%.

I started handloading in the mid '60s with a Herter's single stage C press. I later upgraded to a RCBS Rockchucker that still sits on my bench and I use it to deprime all rifle cases before I clean them, and to reload all of my rifle cartridges larger than .308 Win.

At least 30 years ago I bought a Dillon 550 progressive press. It too has been mounted on my reloading bench since I bought it. I load all of my pistol rounds on it, including .357 and .44 magnums, and all of my .223 and .308 rounds on it. It takes me about an hour to load 200 shells on it, and I load something on it just about every week.

I also began loading 12 gauge shotshells in the early '70s on a Honey Bair single stage press. When I started shooting competition Trap I upgraded to a Pacific 366 progressive 12 ga shotshell reloader, and when I started shooting competitive Skeet I added 3 more Hornady 366 progressive shotshell loaders in 20 and 28 ga and .410. I still have the 12 ga Honey Bair on my bench for loading hunting shells.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
a turret press is the most versatile for my money and no more difficult to operate than a single stage........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

YMMV
David

I agree with this too. I still use my rockchucker for rifle loads (1st press), a reddington turrent (second presss) for hand gun loads, and a mec jr for shotgun shells (third press).

To me there are basically three kind of reloaders:

1-those who reload just to shoot/volume.
2-those who reload for accuracy.
3-those who reload for convenience eg obscure rounds.

In the end I don't really believe that you save any money, but do believe that you get to shoot more. Some people enjoy reloading - I do, it's kind of like fly tying...others think it's a boring chore.

Regardless, if you reload, you'll learn a lot about ballistics and maybe even develop a new hobby.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders

YMMV
David

I agree with this too. I still use my rockchucker for rifle loads (1st press), a reddington turrent (second presss) for hand gun loads, and a mec jr for shotgun shells (third press).

To me there are basically three kind of reloaders:

1-those who reload just to shoot/volume.
2-those who reload for accuracy.
3-those who reload for convenience eg obscure rounds.

In the end I don't really believe that you save any money, but do believe that you get to shoot more. Some people enjoy reloading - I do, it's kind of like fly tying...others think it's a boring chore.

Regardless, if you reload, you'll learn a lot about ballistics and maybe even develop a new hobby.

There are also guys that reload for all of those things. And yes, there is a whole hell of a lot of money that is saved. Those who don't think so are full of it..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don’t get discouraged about components. They can be found with some effort.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"And yes, there is a whole hell of a lot of money that is saved. Those who don't think so are full of it.."

I tend to disagree...you're only looking at the cost per shell...look at your time spent reloading, time on presses and components and space consumed for big reloading setups like those pictured above. There isn't a whole lotta money saved. But you get to shoot more and not be dependent on the box store for ammo.

For example...guy #1 buys 5 boxes of pistol ammo for $100. So he is shooting say 40cent per shot.

Jackass number #2 reloads for pretend 10 cents per shot...so he shoots 4 times as much and posts online how much money he's saved...he doesn't add in his time per hour + floor space in house + bitchfactor of wife tripping over his old stuff + the geekness of chasing hulls at the range after every shot...it all adds up some how.

So I enjoy reloading, because I get to shoot more of the calibers I choose. But the same amount of money is spent + time + floor space + etc should be recognized for those starting out in addition to set-up.

So as Paul Harrell would say...GFY...oh he doesn't say that...oh well...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I gave my middle son my Hornady progressive as I had little use for it. He got it running just fine spitting out great rounds. I was on the phone with him last night and he commented that he is using it as a single stage of sorts as he enjoys the individual steps in the process with the eventual outcome.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

single stage Rock Chucker

Lee 4 pc pistol dies...

Includes the factory crimp die (FCD)

ammo will run flawlessly

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"And yes, there is a whole hell of a lot of money that is saved. Those who don't think so are full of it.."

I tend to disagree...you're only looking at the cost per shell...look at your time spent reloading, time on presses and components and space consumed for big reloading setups like those pictured above. There isn't a whole lotta money saved. But you get to shoot more and not be dependent on the box store for ammo.

For example...guy #1 buys 5 boxes of pistol ammo for $100. So he is shooting say 40cent per shot.

Jackass number #2 reloads for pretend 10 cents per shot...so he shoots 4 times as much and posts online how much money he's saved...he doesn't add in his time per hour + floor space in house + bitchfactor of wife tripping over his old stuff + the geekness of chasing hulls at the range after every shot...it all adds up some how.

So I enjoy reloading, because I get to shoot more of the calibers I choose. But the same amount of money is spent + time + floor space + etc should be recognized for those starting out in addition to set-up.

So as Paul Harrell would say...GFY...oh he doesn't say that...oh well...

Lol, contradictory statements.
Hobby = relaxation = fun.
Now how many hunters and fisherman sit back and figure out how much it cost them in time for their hobby. Does the fisherman figure he’s spending 20 bucks per hour floating on the water? How much does the space for a bass boat/trailer take up. How much of your old hunting and fishing junk does the wife have to trip over and bitch about. How much did that batch of crappie or Bass really cost? How much did it really cost for you in man hours to scout out that 5x5 booner that you shot?

If you take a hobby and start figuring in your time in dollar amounts, then it’s no longer a hobby, it’s a damn JOB.

Swifty
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Swifty, that’s 100% true. Haha

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Just one thought. When Wifey starts bitching about anything having to do with my gun/reloading room, it's time for a replacement or bachelorhood.

In forty years, she does not comment on my gun room. And I do not comment on her craft room.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing wrong with a single stage press for the most part, and it has been my path since 1970, with exception of supporting shotguns for clays. Use a MEC progressive for that. I don’t load for machine guns so life is good. I doubt that progressive presses are useful for pursuing precision.

Factoring cost of time in pursuit of the pastime is absurd. Saving money? Maybe, maybe not. Check prices on .416 Rigby ammo and get back in touch. For that matter, just about any ammo price these days is nutz. Components aren’t cheap these days, but the prices will drop in time, and a little common sense applied to component purchase will go a fair ways down the road. Another option is casting. One can scrounge or purchase lead and even today $1/# is doable. One pound will make about 13 Quigley bullets, or ~155 Hornet bullets. Do the math.

I have little use for hot cartridges or whiz-bang velocity, but precision gives me a smile. Factory ammo is generally better these days, but I have found none other than .22 RF that I can’t beat. Sooner or later I’ll win the RF Derby.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Swifty52

If you take a hobby and start figuring in your time in dollar amounts, then it’s no longer a hobby, it’s a damn JOB.

So very true, I started in 1972, cannot begin to guess how many hours I've spent and am not sorry for spending a single one of them. Whether I've saved any money, I don't know, but I've gathered a great deal of satisfaction.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

If I was starting, and not sure I was going to like rolling my own, I’d hit up eBay for a RCBS JR press. Or a Lee C press.

As one member said, walk before you run. Also, current component availability is the bottleneck. Although this would be backwards in normal times, find suitable components before purchasing equipment.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Good points about a quality scale and measure speeding up bench time with a single stage press. I would go absolutely bonkers if I didn't have a couple good measures (Harrell's and Belding&Mull) and faced with loading a couple hundred rounds of pistol ammo.

I'll sit down and size, say, a thousand .38 or .45 brass and containerize them for later. With a carbide sizer that chore goes lickity split. Then when the mood strikes I'll process a couple hundred at a time into finished ammo. Of course, my protocols work for me because I'm just a casual handgun shooter, not a competitor who goes through five gallon buckets full of ammo every month.

You don't want to know how slow and laborious a lot of my centerfire rifle handloading is done. Hint: arbor press and LE Wilson hand dies.

I picked up an arbor press not long ago, but for use with my Lee Loaders. That mallet gets one down pretty quickly. I also found a few LLs for rounds I didn’t have them for. They have solved a few problems for me over the years and are also kind of fun to use. Results have always been excellent.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Nothing wrong with a single stage press for the most part, and it has been my path since 1970, with exception of supporting shotguns for clays. Use a MEC progressive for that. I don’t load for machine guns so life is good. I doubt that progressive presses are useful for pursuing precision.

Factoring cost of time in pursuit of the pastime is absurd. Saving money? Maybe, maybe not. Check prices on .416 Rigby ammo and get back in touch. For that matter, just about any ammo price these days is nutz. Components aren’t cheap these days, but the prices will drop in time, and a little common sense applied to component purchase will go a fair ways down the road. Another option is casting. One can scrounge or purchase lead and even today $1/# is doable. One pound will make about 13 Quigley bullets, or ~155 Hornet bullets. Do the math.

I have little use for hot cartridges or whiz-bang velocity, but precision gives me a smile. Factory ammo is generally better these days, but I have found none other than .22 RF that I can’t beat. Sooner or later I’ll win the RF Derby.

Good points dan. For the guys that say they don't save money on reloading, they are doing it wrong for sure. The thing that pops into my head is this:

10 shots of pure enjoyment. Lets see what 10 shots would cost if that would have been factory ammo:

Nosler 9.3x62mm ammo $117.99/box

That ammo is $117.99/box, so that fun group would have cost me $59.00. Yet, it cost me no more than $6.00 for components. Guys get some really silly ideas here at times. No logic or real life experiences based opinions. You see it in many threads here. Makes your head spin.

Just for chits and giggles, how much do you think it would cost to load up some 270 winchester ammo with this bag of bullets I recently bought:

Yes, that is $5.00/bag of 100. My only thought is if reloading isn't costing a guy less money, that guy is not buying right. Even in times like these, you can still find good deals out there.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I’ll go along with five of the six before me. Start with a single stage. It’s much easier to avoid problems and if there is a problem, it’s much easier to troubleshoot and solve the problem.

and that single stage press is always a good back up after you graduate to a progressive set up. It is still great for load development and small batches.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 10/07/21.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good points dan. For the guys that say they don't save money on reloading, they are doing it wrong for sure. The thing that pops into my head is this:

10 shots of pure enjoyment. Lets see what 10 shots would cost if that would have been factory ammo:

That ammo is $117.99/box, so that fun group would have cost me $59.00. Yet, it cost me no more than $6.00 for components. Guys get some really silly ideas here at times. No logic or real life experiences based opinions. You see it in many threads here. Makes your head spin.

Just for chits and giggles, how much do you think it would cost to load up some 270 winchester ammo with this bag of bullets I recently bought:

Yes, that is $5.00/bag of 100. My only thought is if reloading isn't costing a guy less money, that guy is not buying right. Even in times like these, you can still find good deals out there.

Everyone seems to not figure in the time spent reloading.
Time is money.
I use to reload until I figured out the REAL cost.
I could go to my shop and work and make more than I saved reloading.
How do you put a price on your free time? Time spent with the family? Time spent relaxing and doing what you enjoy?
If you honestly enjoy doing it and it's your hobby that's one thing but just doing it to save money is a bogus claim.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
...And that is entirely subjective.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Whackem, you go to work so you can pay some fella to service your wench?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That’s cutting to the chase!

Despite reports to the contrary, I’ve always done better with my handloads than factory, though to be fair most, but certainly not all factory I’ve bought has been pretty basic stuff. Even so-called Match ammo has been worse, and I’m not a super-fussy handloader by any means.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ouch. Good one Dan.

Swifty
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used to PD shoot with a guy that used a Dillon progressive to load his 223. He occasionally had a bad round, no powder, or other issues.
I’ve been loading since 1974 on a single stage rock checker. I’m currently loading about 20 rifle cartridges and five handgun. Works for me.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Time is money.
How do you put a price on your free time? Time spent with the family? Time spent relaxing and doing what you enjoy?
If you honestly enjoy doing it and it's your hobby that's one thing but just doing it to save money is a bogus claim.

I'm loading 9mm for under $115 per K with components I bought before this latest crisis....pretty sure you have your head in the sand!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348

That’s cutting to the chase!

Despite reports to the contrary, I’ve always done better with my handloads than factory, though to be fair most, but certainly not all factory I’ve bought has been pretty basic stuff. Even so-called Match ammo has been worse, and I’m not a super-fussy handloader by any means.

I've done way better with handloads tailored to my rifles. No factory ammo can compare. As of right now, I have ammo loaded up for every rifle I own. But if I didn't, I have components to load ammo very easily. All of my brass is prepped/primed/polished and ready to go if need be. I keep them in boxes like this:

Time involved doesn't really bother me because its a hobby and I like to shoot. The guys saying you need to factor in time, are stretching it a bit. But I don't think anyone here is buying it. To say they are totally full of chidt wouldn't be far from the truth. Even in recent times, I've been able to find great deals on components. The cost of those components is far cheaper than loaded ammo. That's always been the case. The reason I started loading was to save myself money. The first cartridge I loaded for was a 300WBY. Components were very cheap at the time and it only made sense to get set up with rolling my own. After loading a couple hundred rounds of that ammo, I figured my loading equipment had paid for itself.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dale06
I used to PD shoot with a guy that used a Dillon progressive to load his 223. He occasionally had a bad round, no powder, or other issues.
I’ve been loading since 1974 on a single stage rock checker. I’m currently loading about 20 rifle cartridges and five handgun. Works for me.

Same here dale. I also use a rockchucher. Never have an issue because I am very vigilant about making sure every case gets the correct charge. You mention 223, as that is one of the cartridges the op wants to load. On a single stage, I load 300 rounds/hr. That is precision quality ammo, not some of the garbage you buy at the stores these days...

That's ammo I run through my AR's^^^^ This is how it shot in the last AR match:

Iron sight AR:

So, while loading your own may take some time, it also has its benefits...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Time is money.

You and leakywaders should go get a room. Leave the reloading and thinking to the real men in the room...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hell, pretty much all my guns have never seen a factory round since I've owned them. If I get a few boxes of factory ammo to fall into my lap I immediately sell them. Factory ammo is generally way better now than when I was coming up but I don't care I would rather load my own, and I really don't care how long it takes me to do it. "What's time to a pig?"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BSA - GFY in between your barrel cooldowns....

OK, I reload for 45 colt, 45 scholfield, 45 acp, 38 super, 357/38, 44 russian/colt/mag, 9mm; 30/06, 270, 257 weatherby, 300 weatherby, and 45/70 off the top of my head.

I enjoy it...I'm no expert. Nothing's blown-up and my reloads are more accurate than factory.

A friend of mine wanted to learn to reload to save money. He bought a bag of 45 long colt starline brass. I helped him prep the cases and use my primers, bullets, and powder to load his first two boxes of ammo. Later he went to the range and shot his smokewagon. Afterwards he came back over and we talked about what needed to be done to reload that brass. He just basically said that he was giving the brass to me and was going to just by factory...it wasn't worth his time...

Some people change their own oil, some people let Walmartians change theirs. I'm ok with either.

But with BSA - the dick - there is apparently only his view on what his time is worth...so again GFY.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That’s your cue to get back in the corner while the adults are talking.

Leave the reloading and thinking to the real men in the room...

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by SLM

Wish I could load 300 rds start to finish in an hour!....

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So does the village idiot.

Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by SLM

Wish I could load 300 rds start to finish in an hour!....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When in my 20’s, 30’s and 40’s I could possibly put a dollar amount on my time to see if it was wasted. Now when the next stop is 70 I realized that any morning that I wake up is a damn good day. My ticket to ride could be punched at any second which makes it real hard to put a dollar amount I on what I like to do. 10,000 an hour or 100,000 per? For those that do, back in the mid 90’s I kept a running tally on what I spent to harvest a buck that year. After words I never kept tally again as 30 bucks a pound didn’t quite jive with 3-4 bucks a pound for beef.
I also figured up what my spring turkey hunt cost and all I will say is it would have been 30 times cheaper to go to the store, buy a Tom turkey, throw it in the air and shoot it. 😀

Last edited by Swifty52; 10/08/21.

Swifty
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Everyone needs relaxation and decompression time.

Especially these days, with what comes from the so called news networks.

There is no better decompression than time spent at the bench casting bullets or building high quality ammunition. Add to that, the extra sense of pride when that ammunition shoots clover leafs at the range, or when your chosen varmint or big game falls to the ground.

Waste of time my ass! I would shoot my reloads if factory ammo was free.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I've leaned the smaller your target the smaller you miss

make sense ?

This was one of my 'better' Savage barrels when then

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started with a Lee Classic turret press and recommend them. They cost what other single stage presses do and you can take the index rod out and use it as a single stage if you like. That is how I load for rifles. Having the turrets are extremely, extremely, convenient. You set and forget . I bought multiple turrets , one for each cartridge I load. Just pop off one turret and switch to a different cartridge. No need to remeasure and readjust the dies every time. Within the turret is a sizer die \decapper, and most have more than one bullet seater because I played with different brand and\or might load two different bullets. Lee has very short instructional videos for most functions and their support is excellent.
One great tool -addition was the Hornady Cam Lok bullet puller. Makes removing bullets so easy- but can also pull it just slightly remainng in the case so you can reseat accordingly.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
392 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.