Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
What has been your experience with Portugal made model 70s? Fit, finish, accuracy etc?
The best I can recall I only remember shooting 2 model 70s in my life. One I owned a mid 2000’s 270 WSM and a pre 64 375H&H. Actions seemed very smooth to me. Just curious how the new ones compare?
Hardest part would be a Winchester not made in America, just seems weird. If it’s well built I could probably get over it.

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 10/03/21.
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful rifles.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Beautiful rifles.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR

Nice looking rifle!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've read articles by "gun writers" saying the Portuguese assembled m70s are the best Winchester ever put their name on. Tighter tolerances, better steel, better wood, better accuracy, etc. If I wanted a m70, I wouldn't hesitate buying the newest version. Others may differ.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I've read articles by "gun writers" saying the Portuguese assembled m70s are the best Winchester ever put their name on. Tighter tolerances, better steel, better wood, better accuracy, etc. If I wanted a m70, I wouldn't hesitate buying the newest version. Others may differ.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ll let you know in a week or so.

Had a pre-64 for a few decades and have futzed with a couple of SS NH models. Those SS ones were solid, but attention to detail wasn’t their strongpoint.

I have high hopes for the EW MB .308 on its way here. Comes pretty dear, but nice stuff always does. If rj308 had offered up his SS .270 FW a bit earlier, we might be talking about a SC model instead.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Had a pre-64 for a few decades and have futzed with a couple of SS NH models. Those SS ones were solid, but attention to detail wasn’t their strongpoint.

I have high hopes for the EW MB .308 on its way here. Comes pretty dear, but nice stuff always does. If rj308 had offered up his SS .270 FW a bit earlier, we might be talking about a SC model instead.

I look forward to your review. Although probably not buying till after the first of the year the EW is what I have my eye on as well. Prefer not to have the muzzle brake but it is removable.
I seem to have a harder time deciding on a cartridge than a rifle.In the end anything from a 6.5 up with a good bullet and good placement probably doesn’t make a hill of beans difference on any reasonable shot. Maybe the answer is buy two, stock up on components and worry about other things?

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 10/03/21.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I saw a lot of Portugese model 70's which had the extractor groove, in the bolt head, located too far forward. This reduced the amount of primary extraction. In some cases, it was almost as bad as on a new Remington 700. Apart from this obvious flaw, they were very nicely made rifles. One other issue I have seen consists of ripples in the bore. I have not had a close look at a real recent example but I hope they fixed the extraction issue. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
[quote=Pappy348]... Although probably not buying till after the first of the year the EW is what I have my eye on as well. Prefer not to have the muzzle brake but it is removable....

The EW/SS, like mine, comes w/o a nuzzle brake.

[Linked Image from winchesterguns.com]

GR

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Garandimal
[quote=Pappy348]... Although probably not buying till after the first of the year the EW is what I have my eye on as well. Prefer not to have the muzzle brake but it is removable....

The EW/SS, like mine, comes w/o a nuzzle brake.

[Linked Image from winchesterguns.com]

GR

Winchester is discontinuing the one without a muzzle brake. I was complaining about that the other day. I’m going to wait and see what they offer at shot show.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They're fine. Fit and finish is excellent. The actions are factory epoxy bedded. All four of mine are MOA or less. I haven't experienced any issues with primary extraction or anomalies in the bore. The CRF feature works exactly as it should. The MOA triggers are also excellent.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've owned 5. Still have two (sold two to change cartridges and one was lured away by a friend). Fit and finish is outstanding in my experience. I'm also an m77 but the bluing on these beats Ruger and absolutely smokes what Remington had been turning out more recently. All have been excellent shooters with factory ammo. And for those who care (I do), not a trace of plastic or polymer.

On the historical note, Winchester hasn't been *that* Winchester for a very long time -- way longer than even most M70 fans realize. But then neither has Remington, Mauser, etc. If you want a quality, traditional rifle, these are great.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
I've owned 5. Still have two (sold two to change cartridges and one was lured away by a friend). Fit and finish is outstanding in my experience. I'm also an m77 but the bluing on these beats Ruger and absolutely smokes what Remington had been turning out more recently. All have been excellent shooters with factory ammo. And for those who care (I do), not a trace of plastic or polymer.

On the historical note, Winchester hasn't been *that* Winchester for a very long time -- way longer than even most M70 fans realize. But then neither has Remington, Mauser, etc. If you want a quality, traditional rifle, these are great.

Great rifles that Browning puts out..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

Great rifles that Browning puts out..

Yup. And your pre-64 wasn't built by the company Oliver Winchester founded, so let me know when you'll be giving them away? We'll all wait for your commentary on the *actual quality* of the rifles...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Mine are fantastic. At least as good as the New Haven rifles.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I look forward to your review. Although probably not buying till after the first of the year the EW is what I have my eye on as well. Prefer not to have the muzzle brake but it is removable.
I seem to have a harder time deciding on a cartridge than a rifle.In the end anything from a 6.5 up with a good bullet and good placement probably doesn’t make a hill of beans difference on any reasonable shot. Maybe the answer is buy two, stock up on components and worry about other things?

The cartridge was easy for me. The dealer had both a 7-08 and a .308, plus a .300 and maybe a PRC. Always wanted a 7-08, BUT there’s a big pile of .308 bullets and brass here, plus a number of dies, and zero 7mm. Any advantage over distance for the 7 is, as the SCOTUS likes to say, moot for me. It will never be tried past 300 in my hands around here, and around here is the only place I shoot.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I grabbed one of the Supergrades recently. Not a bad gun so. Took a bit to scratch all of the crap outta the trigger weight screw but I milked it down to about 3lbs. So far I only shot the first 20 factory ammo through it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Once I get some empty brass I’ll see what it does with hand loads. I was kinda hoping it’d like the factory 143’s a bit more.

Last edited by beretzs; 10/03/21.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I also have a 325 WSM that isn’t horrible either.

While I like the P64’s a bit more these aren’t 1/2 bad either.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

The cartridge was easy for me. The dealer had both a 7-08 and a .308, plus a .300 and maybe a PRC. Always wanted a 7-08, BUT there’s a big pile of .308 bullets and brass here, plus a number of dies, and zero 7mm. Any advantage over distance for the 7 is, as the SCOTUS likes to say, moot for me. It will never be tried past 300 in my hands around here, and around here is the only place I shoot.

Did you order it from Elk County Ammo & Arms? They've had those in stock for a few weeks, now. [Edit: HAD. They're all gone now.] I was thinking about snagging one myself but can't bring myself to do it.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/03/21.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by beretzs
I also have a 325 WSM that isn’t horrible either.

Was the 325WSM a CDNN closeout? A while back they had them for like $600 and I stupidly stared at it until it was too late. I don't need a 325WSM for anything, but for $600, I didn't *not* need one either. frown

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.