Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
I went with the long for the extra girth as I'm fat.

No need to make excuses.

You just like the extra girth.

Me too. I get it.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I ended up getting a big agnes diamond park 15 degree sleeping bag. it arrived this afternoon!!!! So far I think I am really going to like it. a couple features I think I will really like. as mentioned it looks like it handles a bunch of different pads. I ended up getting the insulated big agnes bad with it just to make sure I give it a try with a pad that is specifically designed for it. still waiting on the pad. I had been using an exped outfitter pad that is 4" thick, with my other setup. it looks like this sleeping bag should also accept that pad as well. so I am going to try and have that pad fixed or replaced and try both the exped and the big agnes pad to see which setup I like the best. The exped is probably quite a bit more durable.

the biggest problem I was having is my pillow would slide off the end of my pad, as you can imagine if the pad is 4" off the ground the pillow would easily slide off. I had addressed this by using a pillow case and tarp clamps to my pad. however this big agnes setup has a pocket the pillow fits in and with the sleeping bag attaching to the pad. This looks like the setup that will end up just fixing the problem!!!

so far there is plenty of shoulder room, the only difference I had, is the cabelas has more foot room, which in reality is probably a downside. still nothing that appears to even remotely annoy me. AND I can open the foot box at the bottom and vet it that way. and fully unzip both sides and can use the top as a quilt. The down looks quite a bit more dense than my 20 degree cabelas bag, so this will probably sleep warmer. maybe this bag does both for me. I can't wait to try it out. probably in 2 weeks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by pointer
I went with the long for the extra girth as I'm fat.

No need to make excuses.

You just like the extra girth.

Me too. I get it.
You know me all too well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I ended up getting a big agnes diamond park 15 degree sleeping bag. it arrived this afternoon!!!! So far I think I am really going to like it. a couple features I think I will really like. as mentioned it looks like it handles a bunch of different pads. I ended up getting the insulated big agnes bad with it just to make sure I give it a try with a pad that is specifically designed for it. still waiting on the pad. I had been using an exped outfitter pad that is 4" thick, with my other setup. it looks like this sleeping bag should also accept that pad as well. so I am going to try and have that pad fixed or replaced and try both the exped and the big agnes pad to see which setup I like the best. The exped is probably quite a bit more durable.

the biggest problem I was having is my pillow would slide off the end of my pad, as you can imagine if the pad is 4" off the ground the pillow would easily slide off. I had addressed this by using a pillow case and tarp clamps to my pad. however this big agnes setup has a pocket the pillow fits in and with the sleeping bag attaching to the pad. This looks like the setup that will end up just fixing the problem!!!

so far there is plenty of shoulder room, the only difference I had, is the cabelas has more foot room, which in reality is probably a downside. still nothing that appears to even remotely annoy me. AND I can open the foot box at the bottom and vet it that way. and fully unzip both sides and can use the top as a quilt. The down looks quite a bit more dense than my 20 degree cabelas bag, so this will probably sleep warmer. maybe this bag does both for me. I can't wait to try it out. probably in 2 weeks.
Be sure to post a pic of a hunting trip you use it on... wink

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You might at least try out a western mountaineering badger or a sequoia, they aren’t rectangular but both are cut much wider and are not restrictive at all. I’ve probably put 100 nights in my badger over the past 2 seasons of hunting and I absolutely love it.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Anyone have any experience with the nemo riff or disco bags.Looks like there cut larger for side sleepers,and they come in a long length.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by redtick63
Anyone have any experience with the nemo riff or disco bags.Looks like there cut larger for side sleepers,and they come in a long length.

my pad for the big agnes came today, check out the diamond park, plenty of room. I think a sleep system that works together has alot of appeal. I set it up this afternoon in my living room. I didn't want to get up after laying down in it. the big agnes pad has the valves on top and very handy to adjust the firmness. I also bought an exped widget which pumps up the pads quickly and I will use it to stoke the coals on my hybotchie grill

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You might look into the Montbell Super Stretch bags...... I hate constricting mummy bags (I'm a side sleeper and need to keep rotating from side to side and I throw a small pillow between legs or under side of belly).... I've have a couple montbell UL stretch bags and they are great... stretch out when you need to move yet softly cuddle you to keep you comfy and warm with the soft down. And they are ultralight and pack small. Not constricting at all.... best of both worlds. Check em out. (i'm 6'2 250(ugh) and use a long)...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Montbell has several of their 800 fill Spiral Stretch bags on 20% Closeout.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I saw my post at the top after coming in this forum. so far I have spent 4 nights with my big agnes diamond park sleeping bag. HOLY SH!!!!T I freaking love it!! I have the big agnes q core in 30x78 to match it. This sleeping bag solves every issue I had and even some I didn't even know. the bag is attached to the pad. no moving, no sliding. wake up to piss. the bag is where its supposed to be. There is a pocket for the pillow. This keeps the pillow from sliding off the end of the pad. this was a huge issue when using my 4" xped. It keeps the pillow from sliding off the bag. I don't like the q core pillow that big agnes makes, however a klymit luxe works prefectly and fits just right. There are zippers on both sides. That way you can enter or exit whatever direction it doesn't matter. you can unzip both for extra air flow, or just making it easier to sit up or whatever.

The most unique thing about this setup is you don't even feel like you are in a sleeping bag!! The way the top fits over you its like a natural blanket at home. it can unzip all the way and do just that if you want it to. I bought the 15 degree version, the coldest its gotten so far was down to about 27 degrees. If I am wearing my kuiu long johns, wool socks, and my kuiu merino 200 shirt to bed, I see no problem with it down to its rated temp. I am going to buy an echo park, same bag with synthetic insulation in 0 degrees to take when I know its going to be really cold out and down in the single digits. I have used the bag both on the ground and on a camp time roll a cot. its fits perfectly on that cot and its a tad more comfortable on the cot overall. either way. I sleep better in it, than at home.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,060
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.