24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have been using danner frontiers for years. Long out of production I have picked up some off ebay used. The first pair of 8 inch 400 gram boots I bought 15 years ago and the gortex liner is long wore out and the stitching has even been fixed, I wear these if I know its going to be dry weather and condiditnos. I bought 2 6" frontiers and the problem I have had with those is the sole comes on unglued, the bottom tread just peels totally of!!!

I prefer boots that are built kinda old school. what is out there? looked at alico, but it looks like I can't get them in my size. what else is out there? I have 2 pairs of the 8 inch 400 gram danners, the old ones and some newer ones I bought used. Those are my colder weather boots. However I need a 6" hiker for weather that is warmer. ie above 55-60 degrees.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hanwag makes some ol' school stitch-down hikers. But at the price point ($400ish +), you might as well get White's or Nick's.

My question would be, why would you want stitch-down warm weather hikers? The weight penalty alone would steer me away.

There's a ton of good options for 6"-8" hikers in the $200-$400 range. With Gore-tex, and without.

Buy ya' a pair for $300ish, if they don't last, so what. Throw 'em in the trash and buy ya' a new pair next year.

C'mon, man, you can't even take the ol' lady out for dinner now for under $3 bills.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought some warm weather hunting boots myself, Scarpa Zodiac GTX. Gore-Tex lined 6" with full rand, and only 2lbs. 12ounces for the pair, <$300.

The best part is they're always easy to find in the dark, and meet the minimum blaze orange requirements in 42 states, preventing the little people shooting you in the ankles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lol. Those are uh... Bright!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I

I prefer boots that are built kinda old school. what is out there? looked at alico, but it looks like I can't get them in my size. what else is out there? I have 2 pairs of the 8 inch 400 gram danners, the old ones and some newer ones I bought used. Those are my colder weather boots. However I need a 6" hiker for weather that is warmer. ie above 55-60 degrees.

I do too. I've had Peter Limmers and several other top brands.
My favorite by far are the ones I had on today. They are Italian leather a italian craftsmanship. Vibrant Norwegian welt soles that go hundreds of miles without wear out, yet soft enough to be grippy on rocks. Glove leather lined. 6" Tall and 3 sets of hook quick lace up. I've never seen better boots.
They usually go on hunts and hikes. They breath very well too.
Just $300 ms. Cheapest cost because they last far longer than my other boots. Alico one piece smooth grain Italian art.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 10/05/21.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like my Hanway Tatra Tops. Did you like the Limmers? If so, what exactly did you like about them?

The way life should be.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bluefish
I like my Hanway Tatra Tops. Did you like the Limmers? If so, what exactly did you like about them?

They were certainly excellent quality. They were also one piece leather, perfect stitching. The same sew on Vibram lug soles.
I always liked that style. Unfortunately, they were always an improper fit. I have slightly wide, but typical shaped feet that are not difficult to size. I told Peter Limmer about the fit issue from the purchase. The toe box wasn't shaped right and a separate hot spot regardless of socks. He said it will relax and stretch, give it time and use his limmer grease as directed. I did and by the first year the heal box stretched too big and I had slippage, discomfort and they were the biggest disappointment I ever had with boots. I don't know where he has so many good reviews because I thought the service was very poor after the sale and initial calls.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 10/05/21.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Had several pairs of custom Whites and they were always too small. Gave up and bought off-the-shelf Redwing Heritage. I like those for everyday use but on rough terrain I wanted more support. I tried Irish Setter (cheap), Hanwag, Zamberlan, and Danner. The last three are worth looking at. I've included Goodyear welt and Norwegian welt boots, so if you're looking strictly for stitch-down, there are fewer options, most of them custom. If by stitch-down you simply mean not glued-on EVA soles then these are all applicable. FWIW, I found some Norwegian-welt Zamberlans that give me a lot of support compared to the Redwing Heritage, almost crampon-compatible level of support but they're not absurdly heavy. They have a Goretex liner but no heavy insulation and they're ~6" so they should compliment your winter boots but not replace them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by bluefish

They were certainly excellent quality. They were also one piece leather, perfect stitching. The same sew on Vibram lug soles.
I always liked that style. Unfortunately, they were always an improper fit. I have slightly wide, but typical shaped feet that are not difficult to size. I told Peter Limmer about the fit issue from the purchase. The toe box wasn't shaped right and a separate hot spot regardless of socks. He said it will relax and stretch, give it time and use his limmer grease as directed. I did and by the first year the heal box stretched too big and I had slippage, discomfort and they were the biggest disappointment I ever had with boots. I don't know where he has so many good reviews because I thought the service was very poor after the sale and initial calls.

Obviously I meant Hanwag. Anyway, have always been curious about Limmer's Boots. Thanks for the feedback. I am currently struggling with Plantar Fasciitis in my heels. Sucks.

The way life should be.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wear Merrills with Gore Tex until it gets cold. Since they’re hunting boots only, they should last a long long time. When it gets cold, I strap on a pair of US-made Danners with 800 grams of fluff. So far, that’s been enough to keep my toes from getting cold.

Boots, like other apparel, have gotten better, and lighter. I don’t wear my Filson double-mac in the woods anymore, and only suffer heavy footwear when I really need the warmth.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a pair of White's Hikers I ordered from Kyle at Bakers a long time ago. The only problem outside of the original vibram sole cracking is nails working up through the footbed. I just pull them up through the footbed with a pair of long needle nose pliers.

If you're ordering boots online you need to take a look at Bakers boots and talk with Kyle. They used to have a one year guarantee through the store and and a guaranteed fit. Double check on that. They resoled my whites at the one year mark for free when there was a problem with the vibram sole cracking. Their service is nothing short of amazing.

LIMK TO BAKER'S BOOTS

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I’m a huge fan of whites , been wearing them everyday for work for 15 years and another pair of whites for hunting as well ! Excellent craftsmanship !

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by skeen
I just bought some warm weather hunting boots myself, Scarpa Zodiac GTX. Gore-Tex lined 6" with full rand, and only 2lbs. 12ounces for the pair, <$300.

The best part is they're always easy to find in the dark, and meet the minimum blaze orange requirements in 42 states, preventing the little people shooting you in the ankles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Well you won't get lost, someone will see you.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Had several pairs of custom Whites and they were always too small. Gave up and bought off-the-shelf Redwing Heritage. I like those for everyday use but on rough terrain I wanted more support. I tried Irish Setter (cheap), Hanwag, Zamberlan, and Danner. The last three are worth looking at. I've included Goodyear welt and Norwegian welt boots, so if you're looking strictly for stitch-down, there are fewer options, most of them custom. If by stitch-down you simply mean not glued-on EVA soles then these are all applicable. FWIW, I found some Norwegian-welt Zamberlans that give me a lot of support compared to the Redwing Heritage, almost crampon-compatible level of support but they're not absurdly heavy. They have a Goretex liner but no heavy insulation and they're ~6" so they should compliment your winter boots but not replace them.

How are Custom built shoes too small?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I’m a fan of Uninsulated 8” Danner pronghorns in warmer weather.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by Greatlaker
I’m a fan of Uninsulated 8” Danner pronghorns in warmer weather.

I have had some danners as well, always served me well, just be careful because I believe they have two different lines of product, American and Chinese . Made a mistake of buying a cheaper pair one time and they didn’t last 6 months compared to many many years of USA danners!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I

I do too. I've had Peter Limmers and several other top brands.
My favorite by far are the ones I had on today. They are Italian leather a italian craftsmanship. Vibrant Norwegian welt soles that go hundreds of miles without wear out, yet soft enough to be grippy on rocks. Glove leather lined. 6" Tall and 3 sets of hook quick lace up. I've never seen better boots.
They usually go on hunts and hikes. They breath very well too.
Just $300 ms. Cheapest cost because they last far longer than my other boots. Alico one piece smooth grain Italian art.

Tomorrow after church my Alicos are getting a light coat of boot grease to repel water. The leather laces will be replaced with new nylon boot laces. Under that will be a silk liner and merino wool socks. I plan on using those in the woods next week and might put some milage on them. They're the surest footing on my hills and for dragging stuff.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.