Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
antero Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thinking about picking up a rimfire handgun for plinking, hiking around with, and generally just using to become a better shot with a pistol. I am fairly inexperienced with rimfire handguns and am wondering which one would be more fun and less hassle. I know it all depends on which model, so just share your personal experience. Which is more of a pain to clean? Which is more fun? What would you prefer if you could only have one?

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
For the $ the Ruger MK target.
5 1/2" for hip gun, 6 7/8" tapered bull if range toy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Less hassle - revolver.. More fun, semi-auto. IIHO it takes more time to actually clean the revolver vs. the semi-auto.....especially if you have something like the 9-round Ruger revolver.. Ya have to clean each chamber on a revolver, plus the bore and breech etc.. Semi-auto is basically just barrel and breech. Not that much different, but enough to make it easier..

"having only one" is just not an option.. laugh I have two favorite semi-auto 22s - the Ruger SR22 and the Ruger MK-II slab-side.. The former is a blast to use and the latter is very, very accurate. I have a couple of Ruger 22 revolvers - the Single-Six Convertible and the Single-Nine 22 magnum.. I like them both but shoot the semis much more often..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If I could only have one, itd be a MK3 frame w a MK2 receiver and MK3 bbl, 6 7/8" tapered bull, and then itd be drilled and tapped.

Why a build?

Because I hate the loaded chamber indicator BS and Rugers big warning label.

Bought a Buckmark and swapped bbl, grips snd put on a reflex. Its OK but for some reason I cant warm up to it.
Give it a few more months.

My iron sight .22 is an old kinda expensive target rig and is heavy. But the cool factor and accuracy is up there.

So......unless I find a deal on an older Ruger, am done

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have both; carry both depending on the situation. IMO, an auto is easier to shoot well, and if your eyes need a little help, they are in general easier to equip with an optic. OTOH, I’m not crazy about walking around with an auto with a chambered round and only a safety between me and a hole in my leg, which means one of mine requires two hands to bring into play, which might matter sometime. Auto magazines can get lost too.

If money matters, a good revolver is a bit more expensive. By good, I mean a S&W or Ruger. A pretty good auto can be had for less.

If you want specific recommendations, you should specify your budget.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The little Smith J frame w 4" and adj sights are super cool.
And not cheap

Hell even a Ruger adj sight Bearcat is getting up there.
Either would be cool trail/ trapline rigs.

Had and shot several K frames. Wonderful, but big enough ya might as well go .357.

Target shooting the Ks are hard to beat.

Miss my 648 6"......but dont groundhog hunt hardly these days so no big deal.

The Ruger SA .22 mags are fun, if youre gonna hunt w em.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer a semi-auto because it doesn't feel as bulky to me.

I have a few .22 revolvers, but prefer to carry a S&W 622 with adjustable sights and a 4.5" barrel. The only thing that I don't like about the 422/622/2206 series is the cocking indicator pin that sticks out of the bottom of the grip, as it can bump/dent the stock of a long gun if you carry one of the 422/622/2206 pistols in a belt holster on your dominant side. If you carry a 422/633/2206 backward, butt forward, on your weak side or in a cross-draw holster the cocking pin issues is never in play..

I carry a .22 Magnum revolver more often than I carry any .22 handgun because I am more likely to shoot snakes with the CCI shot load than anything on four legs and CCI's .22 Magnum snake shot seems to be more effective than their .22 LR snake shot. I carry a Rossi 720 or 4" Taurus 441 more often than any other handgun, because 2 chambers loaded with CCI snakeshot and 3 chamberes loaded with 240 grain hard cast SWC .44 Special loads will handle anything that I'm likely to run into wherever I go afield.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
just grab a 4" semiauto, threaded. Then getcha a good suppressor. The most fun.......

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I shoot both revolvers and semi's. As much as I like my Woodsmans, when the chips are down I reach for a K-22. I simply shoot it better. Most of my handguns have never seen a holster since I've owned them - carrying here isn't an option, concealed or open, so carry-ability is a moot point to me.

Ditto the remark about revolvers being a bit more time consuming to clean. If you want a real PIA to clean, try a .22 Conversion Kit on a Colt 1911. That floating chamber can acquire quite a hard build up of carbon on it after a couple hundred rounds. (But it is a helluva lot of fun to shoot.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
just grab a 4" semiauto, threaded. Then getcha a good suppressor. The most fun.......

That's what I'm working on. Picked up a threaded S&W Victory. Looking forward to lots of triggertime from the front porch without needing earpro.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good choice.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Auto is nice, revolver can use ANY power or length of ammo.

You 'need' both.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Auto is nice, revolver can use ANY power or length of ammo.

You 'need' both.

yep

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yup.....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had a ton of fun with an old 22/45 Ruger heavy barrel for a lot of years now. The new ones should be much easier to clean/take down than the model I have. It is heavy though. One of the 22/45 Lite's seems like it would be handy.

I've had a ton of fun the last couple of years with a 22 LCR and a 3" 22 LCRx.

If I could only have one I guess I'd go with the 3" LCRx. Light and handy, double or single action, adjustable sights, 8 shots with no mag to keep up with, decent sight radius, haven't had a fail to fire yet but you could just pull the trigger again. Great little gun.

I can't imagine having just one though.

A
antero Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks everyone. I shot a mark IV target and it just wasn’t what I was looking for - too heavy and long, mostly. I was looking at a 4” Buckmark on the auto end of the spectrum, which is also very affordable at under $400. I also was considering the S&W M&P22C due to its light weight, but other than weight I think it doesn’t offer any advantages over the buckmark.

On the revolver side, I might stretch my budget and try to get a S&W 63 (or similar) if I can find one for a decent price. It looks like the size and weight I’m looking for, and I just like it a lot.

I shot a Wrangler and didn’t like it too much. Mostly the sights, I think. But it sorta turned me off of single actions.

If I had the budget for both right now I think I’d go buckmark and S&W 63. For now it’s just one gun however.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This is my entire collection of 22 handguns. I wouldn't mind adding an LCRx 3".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Antero: The same question befell me more than half a century ago - which mode of pistol to get, revolver or semi-auto?
My answer was to buy one of each - and I have rocked on with both types ever since.
Best of luck to you on whichever you choose, but I have been using both for all this time and can't really find fault with either venue.
Main point is practice, be safe and have fun.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by antero
Thanks everyone. I shot a mark IV target and it just wasn’t what I was looking for - too heavy and long, mostly. I was looking at a 4” Buckmark on the auto end of the spectrum, which is also very affordable at under $400. I also was considering the S&W M&P22C due to its light weight, but other than weight I think it doesn’t offer any advantages over the buckmark.

On the revolver side, I might stretch my budget and try to get a S&W 63 (or similar) if I can find one for a decent price. It looks like the size and weight I’m looking for, and I just like it a lot.

I shot a Wrangler and didn’t like it too much. Mostly the sights, I think. But it sorta turned me off of single actions.

If I had the budget for both right now I think I’d go buckmark and S&W 63. For now it’s just one gun however.

You are on the right track by handling, and if possible, shooting a variety of revolvers and semi-autos. You will know when one feels right to you and that is the one to go with, don't lock yourself into buying something just because it is the right thing for someone else on the forum.

drover

p.s. I am also a plinker and have owned a lot of revolvers and semi-autos over the years and the one that I could shoot best was a Sig 1911/22 but it is heavy.

Last edited by drover; 10/06/21. Reason: p.s. added

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a Model 17 Smith 6" barrel that is my favorite gun I own. I have shot squirrels out of the top of big trees with it. I have a Victory I bought recently. The 17 shoots circles around it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the 4" Buckmark.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
did someone say 4" Buckmark?......

or with the 4" Tacsol and suppressor.....

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
i suggest a ruger wrangler, which o.p. tried and dislikes, and a ruger sr22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have Ruger mark 2’s. My wife loves to shoot them. I have 10 magazines. She shoots and I load. Amazing how many rounds you can shoot in an hour or two. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Huntsman always takes the nicest pictures of 22s. I need to take a road trip out to see him so he can take some pictures with his scenery of my Woodsman and my K frame. I can't decide which I like better. Maybe If I had a portfolio of photographs of each I could decide.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
An aspiring minimalist, I’ve been able to get down to three. A stainless 5 1/2 inch Single Six, a Smith M&P compact and a Ruger MK II with the rare 5 1/4 tapered heavy bbl. Each has their place, depending on my purpose at the time. I’ve let a few other nice ones go, including a Smith18, but these are enough for now.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have just one rimfire repeating pistol, and it is a Ruger MKII 22/45 "Target" with the 5" bull barrel and a camo pattern Uncle Mike holster. It's not pretty or the most accurate pistol in the world, but it fits my hand and I enjoy it. I can load all 5 magazines and go shoot. A S&W 41 auto or 17 revolver would probably shoot better, but they cost a lot more.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've gone thru a few more than I realized until I started thinking about it; but I'm really happy with the two I've got now. A revolver and a semiauto.

Always wanted a S&W 63, but couldn't afford one at the time, so I bought a Rossi 511 30 years ago, which was like a poor man's version of it. Poor trigger pull, spit lead out the cylinder gap terribly and I couldn't hit anything with it. Sold it.

Always wanted a K22 Masterpiece, because of their legendary accuracy, so I bought a 6" S&W 617. Noticed right away it was incredibly heavy for a .22. Mounted a 3-9X Burris scope and proceeded to shoot about dozen different loads through it, the best group of which was about 1 1/2" at 25 yards off a sandbag rest. Decided it was too heavy to pack around just for fun, and not nearly as accurate as I was lead to believe. (I didn't know about shooting standard velocity ammo for accuracy back then, so I only tested HV HP's.) Sold it.

Bought a camo Walther P22 because it looked kind of cool, same gun that Ruger later copied and improved to become the SR22. It had controls in weird places compared to my other semiautos, and besides the fact that the gun was inaccurate, I didn't want to develop the habit of say, tugging on the bottom of my trigger guard to release the magazine and other habits that might accidentally transfer to another gun at the wrong time. Sold it.

Bought a Ruger Mark I 5 1/2" bull barrel, which I'd always wanted. It turned out to be pretty doggone heavy too. Kind of weird grip angle, but I could live with it. Kept it for several years, but eventually sold it.

Bought a Ruger 22/45 Lite with the black finish and walnut grips, added some Volquartson trigger/sear stuff, and the Tandemkross Slingshot conversion, and did the LCI delete. Love it!!

Got convinced to give the S&W 617 another try, this time in 4", thanks to several guys on here. Trigger pull was much heavier than I remembered, as in 11.5 lbs double action, and 4 lbs 10 oz single action. Did some work, experimented with some springs, had it at a reliable 8 1/2 lbs double action and 2 3/4 lbs single action when done. But everyone I showed the gun to said the same thing, "This is a .22? Man it's heavy!"

Last year I decided I owed the Browning Buckmark a try. Bought a Camper model and did some work to it. Ended up using a Tac-Sol threaded/ fluted 5 1/2" barrel on it and liked the balance much better than the original. It was okay, but I still liked the feel of my 22/45 Lite much better. So I sold it too.

Like I said earlier, I always wanted a 4" S&W 63, which they don't make anymore, but just didn't want to pay the $$ they were asking for them- about $800 and up for used ones a couple years ago. Reluctantly I bought a new 3" version with the fiber optic sight. Changed the grips to some Altamont Altai's, did a little trigger work, and.. I absolutely love it!!

In fact, I tried the S&W 63 and 617 side by side for multiple 40 shot groups (617 holds 10 and the 63 holds 8- so 40 was the lowest common denominator for full cylinders and gave a good representative sample size.) I shot them exactly the same, so I ditched the much heavier 617.

So, I've got the S&W 63 and Ruger 22/45 Lite. Perfectly happy with them. I'd be hard pressed to pick just one, but every single person that I've let shoot a magazine full out of my 22/45, has asked if they can try it again. And again. And again.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh, one more thing, I didn't think my Ruger 22/45 Lite was anything special in accuracy until one day after I bought a scope and sat down at the range for the first time to try it out. This was my first 10 shot group with a new-to-me ammo. I was impressed!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO, a guy really needs both- and maybe even several examples of each eventually... smile

I was out shooting with my buddy who has several very high end rimfire pistols- Diamondbacks, Colt Woodsman Match Targets, etc... and I brought my K22 Masterpiece and my Browning Challenger III to play after out rifle shooting was over. I found with the K22 it was pretty easy to hit clay pigeons at 50 yards freehand, then the pieces they flew into. I was seriously impressed with the trigger and the inherent accuracy. After about a dozen cylinders I tried my Browning and found it was also a very accurate pistol- close to on parr with the K22 and my buddy's pistols. I've been very happy with both and often carry one or the other when out in the woods ...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by hookeye

Originally Posted by hookeye

I agree

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We like and have both autos and revolvers. I happen to shoot the wheelguns a little better than the light weight autos (SR-22s and an M&P 22C), but if I were going for "most accurate" it would probably be a heavier Ruger Mk IV or Buckmark. The lightweights carry better, but it's easier to shoot the heavier guns. Of the handguns we have (no heavy autos), I shoot my Single Six 6.5" better than my Smith 617, which surprises me every time I shoot it. It's not nearly as handy as the 4" Smith, but I shoot it better. My 4.5" SR-22 shoots almost as well as the Smith, but nowhere close to the Single Six, which is scary good. The Single Six is an older gun I picked up used a couple of years ago, I think it's a 1976 model, but it shoots marvelously well. It even shoots Magnums really well, too.

I love .22 handguns, they're just fun, and easy to shoot, besides.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
B
good shooting huntsman22!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd say that a revolver is probably better suited as a hiking gun. I've shot a lot with Ruger MK II's and III's and they shoot great, but for hiking I'd go with a nice mid size S&W or Ruger revolver, either single or double action depending on preference.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My browning buckmark is my favorite, however my s&w victory is a close second.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thinking about picking up a rimfire handgun for plinking, hiking around with, and generally just using to become a better shot with a pistol. I am fairly inexperienced with rimfire handguns and am wondering which one would be more fun and less hassle. I know it all depends on which model, so just share your personal experience. Which is more of a pain to clean? Which is more fun? What would you prefer if you could only have one?

Although not my favorite, the S&W 22A isn't a bad pistol and they can still be found for under $400.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
New to pistols ,recently considered a S&W but couldn't stomach the $800 pricetag on the one I was looking at ,just for range plinking etc. Upon a recommendation I got ahold of a GSG ( German Sport Gun) Firefly . Price was good ,magazines were ok on price & easy to load up. So far it's worked fine with every .22 LR cartridge I've shot through it . Fun to shoot ,pretty dam accurate too.

I seriously do not know why so many gun guys say nay about a .22 for self defense . Because of less recoil and better control for the beginner ,I can shoot short burst way more effectively with it than a .38 or 9mm I keep practicing though

Edited in - easy to break down n clean too

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have both. I've grown quite fond of my Glock 44. really nice to pack at 16 ounces loaded. I shoot it well and after testing it in a Ransom Rest, found it is capable of far more accuracy than I am. I carried for years, as a trapline gun and Old Model Single Six, 5.5 inch and still have it today. Wonderfully accurate and responsible for dispatching hundreds of trapped coyotes and coon. Along the way a lot of grouse and rabbits found their way into a pot via that old Ruger.

I've added a Ruger Bisley Single Six and an S&W four inch 22/32 kit gun to the group. I haven't shot the Bisley much as its a one of a hundred and I think I'll sell it rather than just look at it. I've shot it less than 50 rounds. The kit gun was a nostalgia buy and is a fun little gun.

I find myself grabbing that Glock more than anything lately. Even used it to finish off my caribou this year. Spine shot and still alive when I got to it. A CCI SGB made short work of it. Whacked a bunch of feral rabbits last fall with it. A friend's neighbor left the state and turned loose about 40 domestic rabbits. They became 100 pretty quickly. I had some fun with the Glock and the kit gun as well as my 32 caliber muzzleloader. A young lynx took care of the rest of them over the winter.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Ruger Single Six and three Browning Buckmarks. So I guess that kinda shows what I prefer. The autos are faster to load so you can shoot more, but the Single Six is a really cool little gun. I’m glad I have it, even if it doesn’t get shot as much as the Brownings.

Teaching kids to shoot is less stressful with the revolver. The point of aim changes fast and easy with a pistol, and the fact that a single action has to be cocked again after each shot has an extra safety margin.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We shoot both here. Huntsman22 probably gives the best advise earlier in this thread:

A suppressor isn’t necessary but sure fun!

I’m especially happy with a Smith and Wesson Victory 22. It keeps up with the 41 in accuracy and is way less finicky. Trigger and other mods helped make it so with reasonable cost. Really like Ruger Mark’s too. A Mark II was my favorite until the Victory came along.

Ruger’s Single Six pistols are fun and accurate. They will help preserve ammo given the extra time they take to load and eject spent cartridges. Great trainer.

Favorite revolver right now is a Ruger SP101. Slicked up the action awhile back which made the trigger more than acceptable and accuracy really good. Eight round cylinder, not overly heavy. The Ruger GP100 is also fun but really heavy. Good for training i guess if one has GP’s in larger calibers.

Knock around too with a S&W pre model 17, 18 and a G44. All fine 22 pistols. Someday I hope to play around with others mentioned.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sold both of my Ruger MK III and kept a Smith 617, 10 shot.

NRA Patron
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The wife and daughters like shooting a Ruger SR22, it's light and fits their hand just right. For me my favorite is my Sig Sauer P226 with .22 RF conversion in a semi-auto. My favorite revolver is a Smith & Wesson Pre-Model 18.

Last edited by gunswizard; 11/01/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Auto

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Antero,

S&W Model 17 (or the stainless version the Model 617) for the range, or the S&W Model 63 (or the Model 34) for packing. The 17 is easier to shoot accurately, but with practice, you can do well with the Model 63. As mentioned above, revolvers will function with any load.

Yes, the Smiths are expensive, they're not going to get any cheaper though. In ten years you'll look back on what they go for today and kick yourself if you did not pick one up.

Revolvers are not difficult to clean at all... I have a threaded handle with a worn 6mm brass brush for the cylinders, a 4-inch brass rod with a brass brush on it, and another with a patch loop. Also a brass toothpaste style brush for cleaning the carbon off the cylinder and the frame.

If considering a semi-auto look at the Ruger Mark 4 Lite. The Mark 4's are the easiest/quickest of the Ruger Mark pistols to clean due to the take-down feature. Other advantages with a semi-auto are they are a lot easier to mount an optic or red dot, if your eyes require that, and if a suppressor is in your future.

Even if getting both is your plan, I'd pick up the revolver first due to rising prices.

Jerry

S&W Model 63's
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Si vis pacem, para bellum
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got a Buckmark and a Single Six. Both get shot but the BM gets shot way more, easier and faster to reload plus it's easy to clean. For a first 22 pistol, my vote is for an auto.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 22 revolvers and semi-autos. I like my S&W revolvers most.

Semi-autos are sometimes picky and like premium ammo. Revolvers will shoot about anything. My wife shoots our Model 17 the most. It also keeps her up on shooting her Model 10 38 Special without the noise and it is cheaper to shoot.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I keep this one in my deer hunting pack. Good for coons and squirrels.

Not a high quality red dot, but does the job. I shoot Subsonic Rem ammo.

Clark steel trigger with trigger stop.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a pre-lock S&W 317 3" that I like very much, a Ruger MKII SS 22/45 target 5.5" that has taken hundreds of grouse and cottontails but my current favorite is my new Volquartsen Scorpion 6".

My dad has a Marvel kit on his DW 1911 that always impresses... That will be the next addition.

Semper Fi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one of each, a 1973 Ruger Single Six Convertible and a 2020 Taurus TX 22.

The Ruger is quite accurate with both .22 RF and .22 WMR. Now that I have the Taurus, the Ruger is pretty much a full time .22 Mag. I simply find it easier and faster to manipulate with the longer cartridge. It is also a nice bump in power.

I like the Taurus TX22 very much. Light, easy to manipulate, quick to load, 16+1, adjustable sights, and very reliable. I like that it works just like all my self defense pistols. It is accurate enough to hit what I shoot at (25 yards) with any ammo. It is quite accurate with ammo it likes. If I had to choose between the two, I would probably keep this one.

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 11/04/21.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had far more issues out of revolvers than autos. The revolvers quickly get dirty and don’t want to fully chamber rounds. The area above the forcing cone packs with lead that is nearly impossible to remove. Ejection can become difficult quickly. Accuracy has been only ok. My autos run longer and run far better when dirty. They also exhibit greater accuracy. That being said, I like shooting both and the revolvers would be fine for my uses. I shoot the revolvers far more these days, despite the drawbacks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Are you The Phantom?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I might stretch my budget and try to get a S&W 63 (or similar) if I can find one for a decent price. It looks like the size and weight I’m looking for, and I just like it a lot.

Just pay what it takes to get a low mileage specimen. Before long, you won’t miss the money.

Every day’s an adventure.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 5thShock

Are you The Phantom?

[/quote]
Could be.

Ha!

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got rid of my only .22 LR auto handgun: a Browning Buckmark. I rarely shot it, though it was fun.

I have not parted from my Single Six. It is just more useful for me. I never had any issues with the Buckmark mind you but it just wasn't meant to be, I guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good choice.....

I am envious

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have a variety of .22s. But sounds like portability is the priority. The G44 and Smith 63 are both wonderful.

We have two 44s, mostly for pistol classes. They are more reliable and accurate than some online reviews suggest. Only stuff ours won't digest are GECO Bolt (slower than CCI-SV) and the bulk-packed HS Win HPs (huge hollowpoint is great for game, but lousy for feeding). Couple others I can recommend, though do not own: Smith M&P and Ruger SR22. Both have proven themselves reliable in classes.

The 63 is in another league, if heavier than the 44. Sheer fun factor, it's the winner.

Both the 63 and 44 require disciplined trigger control, but you probably knew that.

Can't say cleaning/maintenance is a problem with either one.

Pick one? Geez, I can't. Well, my heart sez the 63.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like revolvers, have several.

Flat gate Single Six,

S&W Kit Gun.

Pre War Colt Officers Model Target (3rd ed) with Python grips, also have the originals.

K-22, 8 3/8" Target, shown with it's companion K-38

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My advise is to find a range that rents pistols and revolvers and try several of each . I have had any number of rimfire handguns in the past but only have two at the moment . I have a Colt Pre Woodsman and a Smith & Wesson square butt Kit Gun .

The revolvers area a bit easier to shoot snake loads in for me , I don't like to have to load them one at a time and I have never owned an auto that would function reliably with shot. With the Kit Gun I load three shot loads and the rest HP . Only problem for me with the kit gun is it is just slightly smaller than I would like it to be and even with the oversized grips I use I still only shoot it just passable . I can pop a snakes head off with solids with the Woodsman nine times out of ten on the first shot as far as I can see him. The kit gun is the gun I should have had when I was a kid instead of the Bearcat that I had then . If you shoot revolvers , I would think a K frame 4" with adjustable sights would be perfect for a woods gun .

If you shoot autos more or tend to shoot them better then that would be the way to go if the snake shot is not a big deal to you. You should really shoot several to get a feel for what grip you are comfortable with . I love the Ruger's but I don't shoot them well , tried one of the Luger .22's years ago and didn't shoot it well either . Never tried the old version of the Woodsman till recently because the grip shape and angle was so similar to the other two that I thought my results with it would be the same , WRONG ! I shoot the pre and first model Woodsman like it was a rifle . Try every one you can get your hands on before you spend your money.

Any of the Ruger single actions with LR and Magnum cylinders would be top choices if you like the grip shape . I do and own 5 SA guns for every other type that I own .One exception on the Ruger SA , I would not waste my money on the Wrangler. They are not quite as big a piece of crap as the Heritage Arms stuff but they ain't far off from it in my opinion. Buy Steel.

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 11/08/21.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The full underlug works on the 6in 617 because it's more of a range gun. I wish they'd come out with a 4in with a lighter barrel for woods use.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker
The full underlug works on the 6in 617 because it's more of a range gun. I wish they'd come out with a 4in with a lighter barrel for woods use.

S&W made 617’s in a 4” without the underlug, also a handful of Mountain Gun configurations.

The 617 full lugs are heavy rascals, mine is very accurate….

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I shoot a 1972 made S&W Model 18, like my 1967 Model 15. And a Model 34 with 4" barrel and target grips.

For an auto, a Colt Woodsman with 6" barrel is so accurate with SV ammo.

Last edited by HawaiiPD; 11/08/21.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Look for a M18. I wouldn't be without mine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GSPfan

Antero,

The above-mentioned M18, is S&W's Model 18. It is their K-Frame, the same frame size as their Model 17 and Model 617. Just has a 4-inch blue barrel, instead of the 6 or 8 3/8th's inch barrels of the Model 17, and does not have the underlug that the Model 617 barrels have. I feel it's a solid recommendation for a woods gun.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I had a 648 6" and shot pops 8 3/8 48 for a few yrs.
Both were very good.

Like revolvers just fine

Took my Buckmark w reflex sight out today. Yeah, it aint as classy as a nice Smith wheelgun......but i was shooting very well, with ease.

Im liking it more and more.

.22lr, 9mm and a 10mm.....coud be satisfied w just those 3.
All autos.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/10/21.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Single action revolvers are the most fun to me and simplest to maintain. Revolvers function more reliably with cheap rimfire.

Get whatever matches your centerfire so training crosses over. If no center-fire, double action revolvers are best for civilians and sportsmen.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A Smith 41 is hard to beat.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yes, and like a Victor, hard to clear and it does happen...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Antero,

The above-mentioned M18, is S&W's Model 18. It is their K-Frame, the same frame size as their Model 17 and Model 617. Just has a 4-inch blue barrel, instead of the 6 or 8 3/8th's inch barrels of the Model 17, and does not have the underlug that the Model 617 barrels have. I feel it's a solid recommendation for a woods gun.

Jerry

A 4" 18 gets my vote. There's absolutely nothing it won't do (besides be next to quiet) for a woods gun.

A 17 or Officer's Model Match are decent, but a bit big. Same for 4 and 6" Colt Match Target autos.
I've never owned a 22 Diamondback, but something tells me an 18 probably shoots better, certainly in DA.

I'd rather an ancient Police Positive Target than a J-frame, if looking at wee guns.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Antero,

Jerry

A 4" 18 gets my vote. There's absolutely nothing it won't do (besides be next to quiet) for a woods gun.

A 17 or Officer's Model Match are decent, but a bit big. Same for 4 and 6" Colt Match Target autos.
I've never owned a 22 Diamondback, but something tells me an 18 probably shoots better, certainly in DA.

I'd rather an ancient Police Positive Target than a J-frame, if looking at wee guns.

Yeah...

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many great choices above, and others not mentioned.

IME, it's really hard to beat a Ruger MKII - but must say a Browning Buckmark Camper in SS, with the Heggis Trigger Spring flip to halve the pull weight, is a deadly accurate piece and a tad lighter, both with 5.5 bull barrels. Alloy frame on the Browning wink Many Fox Squirrels, some at a nice distance have not liked the BKM......yes, same for MKII.

It's just sight and squeeze and if you miss when hunting, you are back on quicker than a wheel gun after you cock....and there's the ejecting and in time dirty sticky chambers/cylinder to clean, etc.

Enjoyed many fine Smith's - but........I do like K.I.S.S.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
i don't really care much about the difference between every gun design whether or not it is a revolver or semi. None of these difference are meaningful if you can concentrate on maintaining sight alignment as you pull the trigger.

Last edited by Forthyfour; 12/05/21.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I've a couple. They are mostly a means to an end for me. I usually stuff one in my pack for a pot/kit gun. Most often I carry a Smith 317 Airlight (or whatever they call it). Accurate enough for ptarmigan or grouse. Trigger needs work on a gun that light. I think it is about 12 ounces alll up with 10 rounds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 617's are accurate! Loads of fun to shoot.

.com/gp/132359712N06/t54823][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Model 17's are good also!

.com/gp/132359712N06/50y6nX][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

B
B
I have a rimfire revolver and a ruger semi. Both are fun to shoot. But after you buy one you will probably buy the other. They are just fun to shoot.

B
B
I have a rimfire revolver and a ruger semi. Both are fun to shoot. But after you buy one you will probably buy the other. They are just fun to shoot.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If I could only have one 22 handgun; it would be this 5.5" Single Six.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
http jpg

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I think you could spend more and get some legacy firearms like a Colt Diamondback revolver and a S&W K-22. Both are great shooting revolvers but take a little more time to load and clean.

The Ruger Mark II or Mark III pistols are great but make sure you get a bunch of magazines. Fill 'em up and throw a bunch of 22s in your pocket and go for a nice plinking hike in the woods!

I have an integrally suppressed Mark III that Todd at TBA Suppressors in Ashland Virginia made for me. I don't need any hearing protectors when I go out plinking with it. Fantastic firearm especially with CCI SVs!

Start saving!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Why'd you shoot Kermit?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Originally Posted by EdM
A Smith 41 is hard to beat.

Love the 41 too Ed. Smooth like butter and very accurate.

One day I'll get an LR version to pair with the 41-1.

Couple of Walther's here. The "pre-41"

One short, one long.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][quote=EdM]A Smith 41 is hard to beat.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Which one would be more fun and less hassle.
-A good .22 auto loader with a threaded muzzle for a suppressor and the means to mount an optic.
-I had a 22/45 MKIII UL with several mods and really liked it. I gave it to my youngest son. He already hd a MKI and really likes the 22/45.
-i replaced it with a TX-22 with their Competition conversion kit. i love the 20 round mags and it is very easy to clean or swap out parts.
-For a lightweight plinker I have an Advantage Arms Glock 26/27 conversion, that or any number of newer .22LR semis are fun.

Which is more of a pain to clean?
-The autoloaders are easier to clean than a revolver.

Which is more fun?
-For sage rat hunting or other volume shooting the autoloder.
-I don't think ther rimfire kit gun revolvers like the 651, 63, Taurus 94, Charter Pathfinder, Rossi 511, etc can be beat for woods bumming as they are so adaptable.

What would you prefer if you could only have one?
-My Smith and Wesson 651 .22WMR is my favorite rimfire handgun. Nothing else comes close.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I've got both and I love them. For target competition, a good auto is much more accurate than a Revolver. I have a Model 617 and it is a very nice revolver, I also have a Browning Buckmark. it is my favorite semi auto and much easier to field strip and detail strip than the nightmare Rugers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (22kHornet, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 61 invisible), 3,227 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,941
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.