Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any advice on where to buy a decent double rifle under $5K? Preferably closer to $2K... It doesn't have to be embellished or pretty, but fit and quality would be nice.
I don't plan on taking this dangerous animal shooting, just shooting.
Thanks.

I'm thinking of a few different cartridge choices from 303 British to 375 Flanged including many cartridges including European (9.3x74r, 9.3x72r, 7.92x57r, 7x57r and many others). (no caliber larger than 375)

Note: As I recall there used to be a gunsmith in South Dakota that converted Ruger Red Label shotguns to over/under rifles. I believe he has passed away some years ago, though I don't know that for a fact.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
At under $5K look for a used Chapuis or a German or Belgian guild gun (the German is more likely to be O/U than SxS). There's a 9.3x74 for sale on Accuratereloading.com right now for just under $5K.

Back in the day (late 1970s), Paul Jaeger's shop in Jenkintown, PA did Ruger Red Label conversions. They were nicely done, but I think I've seen one for sale in the last 20 years. They didn't do many. He thought the action strong enough to chamber in .375 H&H. I haven't seen any done by anyone else, but I'm sure they are out there.

The Angelo Zoli O/U double rifles would fit into your price range. There is one in .308 that's been on Gunsinternational for a very long time. I don't know if it's still for sale or if the seller just never pulled the listing after selling.

Pedersoli imported some hammer double rifles in a SxS configuration. They were plain, but seem to have worked OK for the price point. Not something you'd be able to scope unless you're willing to go with an extended eye relief scope but a red dot could probably be mounted.

You'll have a hard time finding any British double rifle under $5K that isn't beaten to death or chambered for an obsolete black powder cartridge you can't find brass for.

Good luck with your search. The hunt is more than half the fun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your budget were just a little higher here is an ultimate double rifle set. Both 375 H&H and 30-06 barrels with great optics for each barrel set.

https://simpsonltd.com/krieghoff-ulm-o-u-double-rifle-d16227/

Last edited by erich; 04/29/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A little higher? That's $20K!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A third of that is scopes and mounts.

Make mine a Minaska

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are plenty of Finnclassics and older Valmets that are well in your price range even new.

Make mine a Minaska

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I looked at simpsonltd and found drillings, which would be nice too. I was looking for a side by side rifle.

I had to do a search to find the double rifles as I didn't see that $20k rifle

But I found this:

https://simpsonltd.com/edward-kettner-boxlock-double-rifle-d15814/

A 9x57r would be nice.

Still fancier than what I need and a little more $ than I need to let go.

Last edited by Bugger; 04/29/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
I looked at simpsonltd and found drillings, which would be nice too. I was looking for a side by side rifle.

But I found this:

A 9x57r would be nice.

Get a Simson or Merkel drilling in 7X65R and have a full length einstecklauf in 7X65R installed in the right shotgun barrel. The front trigger would fire both the rifle barrel and the RT barrel with the removable rifle insert. That could be done for under $4K, and you would have Instant Class. The Merkel/Simson receivers are a bit heavier and are better in this application.

You could even get a smaller caliber insert or a 9.3X74R and get serious.

When I hunt deer with one of my drillings I carry the rifle loaded, the right barrel with a rifled slug, and the left barrel an appropriate shotgun round for sagehen, or for chukar or blue/ruffed grouse.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by luv2safari; 04/29/21.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I found one that might do on Guns International. Thanks.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari

But I found this:

A 9x57r would be nice.

Get a Simson or Merkel drilling in 7X65R and have a full length einstecklauf in 7X65R installed in the right shotgun barrel. The front trigger would fire both the rifle barrel and the RT barrel with the removable rifle insert. That could be done for under $4K, and you would have Instant Class. The Merkel/Simson receivers are a bit heavier and are better in this application.

When I hunt deer with one of my drillings I carry the rifle loaded, the right barrel with a rifled slug, and the left barrel an appropriate shotgun round for sagehen, or for chukar or blue/ruffed grouse.

That's a good looking option! Hmmm

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also get a small rimfire insert in 22 LR or 22 Magnum. wink

Harder to find, but closer to a true double rifle could be a Cape Gun with a left barrel insert. I often considered doing this with my Sauer cape gun in 12ga and 8X57JR. A double 8X57JR would be a natural with it's moderate pressures and rimmed case.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Any advice on where to buy a decent double rifle under $5K? Preferably closer to $2K... I.

Surely you jest...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a fine looking one on the classifieds right now!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
High end rifle link

Might need a thicker wallet though.

1Minute
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by luv2safari

But I found this:

A 9x57r would be nice.

There is something that I find very attractive and intriguing about such a set-up with all those choices....However, having more than once, as a kid, touched off a 3"magnum 20 gauge when I was intending to fire the top, .22 lr, barrel of my brother's Savage 24, I think I would find your system way too complicated for someone like me.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Any advice on where to buy a decent double rifle under $5K? Preferably closer to $2K... It doesn't have to be embellished or pretty, but fit and quality would be nice.
I don't plan on taking this dangerous animal shooting, just shooting.
Thanks.

I'm thinking of a few different cartridge choices from 303 British to 375 Flanged including many cartridges including European (9.3x74r, 9.3x72r, 7.92x57r, 7x57r and many others). (no caliber larger than 375)

Note: As I recall there used to be a gunsmith in South Dakota that converted Ruger Red Label shotguns to over/under rifles. I believe he has passed away some years ago, though I don't know that for a fact.

check out gunsinternational, quite a few in your price range

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Chapuis brand are serviceable, and accurate. 9.3x74r is a useful caliber. 7x57r would be a dandy light rifle as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a Chapuis some years ago. It was pleasing to the eye if on the pedestrian side of double rifles, and shot well. And the 9.3x74 was a very nice cartridge to shoot, kind of a “375 light” with which I took a bison heifer. I have always thought it would be a very nice elk cartridge in the timber.

https://chapuis-usa.com/premium-hunting-rifles

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 10/04/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 3,120 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.