Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Does the 100gr TTSX provide any advantages over the 80gr TTSX in a 257R for WT deer?. The reason for the question is that I have a finicky rifle and the 80 TTSX and 75gr Vmax seem to be the only bullets it will tolerate.

It would seem to me that the only difference in terminal performance between the 2 bullets would be increased penetration potential for the heavier bullet. But if the 80gr TTSX (3400ish MV) will pass through a WT from almost any angle, would the heavier bullet actually provide any real advantage? Thanks

PS I have no need or interest in shooting beyond 250-300 yards so the BC of the heavier bullet is of no consequence to me.

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
For deer, you are good to go with that 80 grainer..no problem .

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think you answered your own question. I’d not worry a bit on deer.

Good luck. Show us what they do!

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
The only reason I load the 100 gr is for elk. Otherwise, the 80 gets the nod for deer.

Alan

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 85 grainers in 6mm are deadly on whitetail and I know a few people who have run them into elk. I think you're good to go.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The more Eileen and I shoot monolithic bullets (of whatever brand) into big game the less I'm sure about what the minimum weight for certain game is.

So far the lightest bullets we've used on various kinds of big game are the 40-grain Cutting Edge Raptor at around 4300 fps from Eileen's .22-250 on a pronghorn doe at around 150 yards. It stood quartering toward her, and crumpled at the shot. We found the shank of the bullet under the hide at the rear of the far shoulder blade. (Raptors are designed to lose all their "petals," and this one did. Have never seen any difference in how Barnes X's that lost all their petals killed either.)

Eileen also instantly dropped an average cow elk at 120 yards, as it stood angling away, with a 100-grain TSX from her NULA .257 Roberts. But she has killed plenty of much heavier game with the 130 TSX and 150 Nosler E-Tip from her custom .308 Winchester, animals that many hunters still claim require at least a .300 magnum.

The longer I hunt the more I'm convinced that many hunters are convinced the harder a rifle kicks them, the "better" it kills.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The longer I hunt the more I'm convinced that many hunters are convinced the harder a rifle kicks them, the "better" it kills.

You are so right about that. I'm convinced that if more hunters actually learned the anatomy of the species they were hunting and practiced to be more proficient with their hunting rigs, they'd find there's minimal need for those gigantic cases that burn a pound of powder and inevitably cause many to develop accuracy-robbing flinches. Understanding what different bullets do at various impact speeds -- and then matching the cartridge/bullet combo to the game being hunted -- would be helpful as well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bullet development could have stopped at the NP so far as I am concerned.

The way life should be.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I'm probably going to burn in hell, but yeah..sort of...but I do get your point smile

[Linked Image from strayfawnstudio.com]
[Linked Image from americanhunter.org]
[Linked Image from image.sportsmansguide.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bluefish

And for most hunting circumstances bullet development hasn’t progressed any further……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Meaning?

The way life should be.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I always thought you needed at least a 7 mag until I saw grandkids kill deer and pigs with a 80 grain TTSX. They were just as dead as mine. The 243’s are fun to shoot!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm hunting in the SE, so no really big critters down here. I generally like burning 40-55gr of powder with a decent 120-180gr bullet. Seems rather effective for the recoil penalty. Still have a few that burn more than that, but they don't see as much use as they once did.

I like my TTSX and ETip bullets toward the lighter end of the spectrum.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thank you, Gentlemen, for the responses....very helpful!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

You mean when the Germans developed the H-Mantel bullet, years before the “partition” was produced?memtb

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/rws-h-mantel/

Last edited by memtb; 10/05/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Some folks refuse to embrace technological improvements......the primary reason the roadways are congested with Model T Fords! 🤔

The improved technology has allowed us to “do more with less”! However, it doesn’t mean that larger calibers now perform less impressively! 😉memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/05/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
In a 270 Win, the 110g TTSX is wicked ugly on deer and hogs, R#17, H4350, IMR 4350, and the coolest burning powder AA2700, all with velocity around 3300, half inch groups or less. Very flat trajectory on these combos with the 110 TTSX. We have killed quite a few deer with the 110g Sierra Sp Pro Hunter, but always double lung them on broadside shots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that the reason, some people - my self included, prejudices can be explained:
We remember too well the days of our youth and the bullets commonly available to those who could not afford the partitions. (We shot 22 shorts because we couldn't afford 22 long rifles.) Some thought that cast bullets were as good as many bullets available and we started shooting deer with heavy cast bullets in the 30-06. There was a writer back then that liked heavy bullets and large enough cartridges to get the bullets to penetrate - what he wrote, he wrote with authority and it made sense. Then there was a famous writer that wrote "Bring enough gun". We saw failures of bullets that were too lightly constructed or poorly mated with game. I shot a pronghorn six times through the lungs before he dropped all the bullets went through the lung area (one example of a bullet that would not open up). The horns are hanging in my gun room now. I had a bullet get stopped by a doe's shoulder 165 grain in a 30-06 - it didn't pass the shoulder. I would not use that brand for decades since. My brother-in-law had a similar experience on a bull elk - same brand of bullet out of a 300 Win Mag.

So, with bad experiences brought deeply set prejudices, using a larger caliber and heavier bullet was often the answer. No one wants to relive bad experiences with bullets to fragile!

I mainly shoot partitions now (thanks to SPS) with interlocks second and mono bullets third. It's a 308 with Interlocks on deer this year. For elk, one of my most accurate rifle is my 300 Weatherby with 200 grain partitions, the recoil is negligible, so why not? But, I'll probably use a 270 with 160 grain partitions this year though, because it's a pound lighter and just as accurate.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by memtb

You mean when the Germans developed the H-Mantel bullet, years before the “partition” was produced?memtb

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/rws-h-mantel/

The H Mantel is not a true partition bullet like the NP I don't think. Haven't they now basically dropped it for the DK bullet design which is more like a NP? Maybe I am wrong but in my experience, the NP begins and ends the conversation.

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
in my experience, the NP begins and ends the conversation.
and many folks will agree with this....

from my viewpoint however the designs put out by such firms as North Fork (are they still in business?) are equivalent to slightly better......but the Swift A-Frame with the bonded front partition is clearly something to look at.

Having said that, the all-copper bullets such as the TTSX will win out because of environmental causes and the fact they have already established a solid track record for terminal performance. In the end the NP will lose out to the TTSX not because of performance issues, but because the TTSX does not contain lead.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 76 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.