Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16500427 10/05/21
DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Can someone tell me their thought on the weight and age of this bear, only ever see a couple running although there are plenty around. My guess is around 225 and I'm basing it by a hog. In front of the wife's blind trail camera is one of the browning dark ops, takes good pictures. Being slick looking I'm guessing it's a male.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by DANNYL; 10/05/21.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just a wild guess....just under 200 lbs. ! I always refer back to the highly reliable SWAG system! šŸ˜‰ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That bear is probably 150-175lbs. Looks like a younger bear.

DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I blew these up a little. The belly too flat to be very old I think.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Probably a little under 200lbs. With bears my rule of thumb is to take my first guess and subtract 15-20%.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You're probably right about that. If say 200 or less would that make him 2-3 years old?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tasty, is what I see !

I agree, +/- 200.

Pretty similar to this young boar, i took a couple of years ago;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I would have left him alone, if he didn't tear up my ground blind & feeder !

Meat was amazing, though.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
He should have climbed in his hole. Nice picture of it covered in snow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Long legs, looks tall.

Not a big bear.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Long legs, looks tall.

Not a big bear.

Agreed. 150ish is my guessā€¦only one way to find out wink

MK
IC B3

DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Whats the odds of seeing it again, slim to none probably.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Too bad JJHACK ain't around. He's probably nail the weight by +- 25 lbs and the age by +- 6 months....

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If it's eating at your feeder, it'll be back, till it goes to sleep,............. one way or the other !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
hes 150-185 would be my guess, likelya 2 year old thatw as just kicked loose from momma.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DANNYL;
Good day to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one in your part of the planet and all who matter to you are well.

While I'm not a bear expert by any stretch, they're fairly common here in our part of BC - we've had 4 different animals in the yard since July and have seen 3 other different animals out hunting since September 10th.

I'd suggest that it's exactly what my friend Paul - New 2 99's - has suggested which would be about 175lb to possibly 225lb on the hoof so to speak. Depending upon the populations in your area, it might be a male because there's no cubs and it's old enough to have cubs if it's a female.

Again as a guess I'd think it's at least 3 but not older than possibly 6 because they fill out and begin to lose ground clearance pretty fast.

If Rick's system allowed easier access, I'd throw up a couple different yard bear photos from this year to show what I mean, but around here the female will usually den with the cubs for 2 winters and then kick them lose after that. The 2 Ā½ year old bears then will have longer looking ears than your photo seems to show and are obviously quite leggy.

They'll fill in a fair bit in the next year if they don't starve or get cocky with an older male and get killed by him. That's why my guess of at least 3 years old.

It's somewhat dependent upon food, genetics and habitat too, as for instance the black bears on Vancouver Island get less winter than we do here so they're up eating for months longer than the interior bears. Thus they're quite often larger overall than ours will ever be.

As well, as noted by Paul, that size will make fine, fine table fare this time of year. If there's a chance it was eating dead things, I'd suggest both freezing the meat for 3 weeks before consumption and also not eating it rare, so a food safe 165Ā° F internal temp should work.

Hopefully that made sense and was useful to you or someone out there.

All the best and good luck on your remaining hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Dwayne and at the moment if he does come back around I'm not sure yet as to taking it. We can't have feeders in the woods so my thought is he was roaming looking for apples as they are dropping.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Thanks Dwayne and at the moment if he does come back around I'm not sure yet as to taking it. We can't have feeders in the woods so my thought is he was roaming looking for apples as they are dropping.

Heā€™s probably 150-175 live weight. If thereā€™s any apple trees around, he wonā€™t wait for them to drop. Heā€™ll be climbing them trees and destroying them. Iā€™ve seen apple and pear trees around old home places that similarly look like they were blown apart by a lightning bolt, but it was bears climbing to eat the fruit. They have a bad habit of breaking limbs off and dropping them down to the ground so they can roll around on the ground and eat till theyā€™re full. They do the same thing with white oaks and other oaks. Bears are fun to watch and they are beautiful animals but most of the time when they move in, the deer leave. I would shoot him in a heartbeat, you wonā€™t forget the experience. The meat is fair table fare and really no different then other wild game, dang sure better and healthier than what youā€™ll find in the grocery store. +1 on getting the meat above 165, you donā€™t want worms. Have the hide tanned and hang it on your wall, itā€™ll make a beautiful trophy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ColtZ71
Originally Posted by DANNYL

Heā€™s probably 150-175 live weight. If thereā€™s any apple trees around, he wonā€™t wait for them to drop. Heā€™ll be climbing them trees and destroying them. Iā€™ve seen apple and pear trees around old home places that similarly look like they were blown apart by a lightning bolt, but it was bears climbing to eat the fruit. They have a bad habit of breaking limbs off and dropping them down to the ground so they can roll around on the ground and eat till theyā€™re full. They do the same thing with white oaks and other oaks. Bears are fun to watch and they are beautiful animals but most of the time when they move in, the deer leave. I would shoot him in a heartbeat, you wonā€™t forget the experience. The meat is fair table fare and really no different then other wild game, dang sure better and healthier than what youā€™ll find in the grocery store. +1 on getting the meat above 165, you donā€™t want worms. Have the hide tanned and hang it on your wall, itā€™ll make a beautiful trophy.

Around here I've seen bears climb sugar pines in poor food years and break the branches off so they can go through them for the seeds. For those not familiar sugar pines are some tall mofo's!

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I saw one like that, Iā€™d make him try on my pants. If they fit, heā€™s big enough to shoot.

What fresh Hell is this?
DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No more pictures, must be on it's route.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (007FJ, 222ND, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,175
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.