Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Thrusting rather than chopping might be more effective and safer for the dog. Pitiful little cat; I doubt it weighed over thirty-five pounds. Chocolate lab wasn't much help.
Last one I shot here was behind the corral in a tree and was about three times the size of this one. I was uphill from the tree so the cat was on my level and about fifteen feet away. I used a Model 94, 30/30. At the shot, the cat went over my right shoulder and hit the ground thrashing, The big dog, a pit/labX was on the cat immediately while Beagle Bailley bayed moral support from a safe distance. I would rather have more predators here and fewer people, quite frankly. GD

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
673: Dang it - the link no longer works as the video violated some rule.
Anyone can link me to it somewhere else.
Sounds bizarre - machete vs. Cougar.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2021/09...te-to-rescue-his-dog-from-deadly-attack/

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I can’t believe that cat didn’t haul butt when the man ran up. Cat must have had something wrong with it.

The Cat isn't very old, looks like not even a year old, but there was recently a 200,000 acre fire nearby so it may have been displaced and separated from its Mother and siblings and on its own, therefore starving.

According to the comments the cat had a mouthful of festering porcupine quills and was starving.

I didn't read that far down in the comments, that makes sense.

673;
Good afternoon to you my friend, I hope the day's been good to you up the valley and all who matter to you are well.

I'm about the farthest thing from a cougar expert there is, but back in the day when our friends ran the taxidermy shop at Vaseux Lake I helped them peel a good double handful of them, though admittedly I did more bobcat and beaver hides for sure.

Anyways, the porcupine thing wasn't rare down here at all. I don't know if the cats just hat porcupines or they specialize in them, but we'd always be careful for them when skinning, especially in the toms.

I think your comment about the fires was the biggest factor here. We've had 4 different black bears in the yard since the Thomas Creek fire started and that's about 3.5 more per year than is usual.

It's really, REALLY moved all the game around where I usually hunt this fall too. Nothing makes sense even in areas anywhere close to the fire. Funny I don't recall that as much from the 2003 Vaseux fire, but this was a tad hotter by the look of the damage I'd say.

Anyways, they've now also had reports of photos of a cougar just laying on the side of a logging road not far from there a couple days prior, so it was likely starving and about to the end of it's rope.

All the best to you folks and good luck on your hunts this fall my friend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.