Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
How do they effect the deer as far as early morning riding going in vs walking I’ve done the walking up mountains for 30 odd years and had good success

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I don’t own an atv. Mostly despise them. But, then again, one sure would be handy for getting a deer out of the woods. I’ve heard folks say they ride up on deer. But I prefer to walk while I can.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would think that if you ride the area you hunt often on an ATV that the deer would ignore it but also think deer say here they come, hide.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had deer run from them and had deer stamd there amd watch me ride past. In farm country wr use them religiously for crossing fields and dropping off/picking up hunters from the stand. It doesn't spook the deer nearly as much as walking a field edge.

If they are used to noise and heavy equipment no big deal.

Hunt...
E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’ve been going in early for years walking my ass off whilst the neighbors come in at daylight on the atvs I’m starting to rethink what if I went in still early on the utv but half way the walking distance

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
OP, how close to where you expect to see game are you talking about riding? I prefer to walk a ways myself.

If someone were hunting me I rather them try to drive up near me than to walk up on me.

On another note my cousin always said when his brothers would hunt wood ducks early in the morning they would pass his stand that was on the road on their way home. If he was in his stand he would get them to stop at his stand, turn off their atv for a minute and crank up and go on home. He said the deer associated the atv stopping with picking up the hunter, and right after the atv left the deer would come out.😀😀

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I prefer to walk on the 170 acre farm we deer hunt on, but while working the farm, scouting, cutting trails and just riding ATV's for pleasure we see many deer. Deer on the farm do not be to concerned with an ATV. They will typically stop moving and after you have passed by they continue on their way.

Now my brother belongs to a hunt club that is located on 700+ acres in the middle of a national forest but the club members ride ATV's for pleasure on the property all year long so when hunting season comes they ride their ATV's right up to their hunting area for the day. My brother parked his within 40 yards of his deer stand and killed two deer this year, one walked right by his ATV.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I am in several hunting leases that consist of vast areas of old reclaimed strip jobs and I might find a target buck that is miles out the mountain so I sometimes ride my 4wheeler 8 or more miles to the area I am hunting but I always stash the ATV a 1/2 mile or so from my stand and walk the rest of the way in for all day sits....I think roaring into my stand on an ATV 30 minutes before daylight would stir the area up too much so I prefer to sneak in ...this has worked well for me .......Hb

Last edited by VaHillbilly; 10/05/21.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
IME it depends on ATV use in the area hunted. There was a piece of property I could hunt near our home and ATVs were not ridden much there. My son watched a large buck out of my sight stand on a flat below me as I rode by and then crossed the ridge. Where I hunt now has ATV traffic from gas well tenders on a regular basis and I have watched does stay bedded in plain sight of the rider.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have found that ATV traffic spooks mule deer and elk who are not accustomed to the noise. Perhaps where they are used to ATVs it’s not an issue. I have seen mule deer ignore a passing truck and haul azz at the sound of a four wheeler a mile away.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ranch I hunt is about 2,600 acres. There’s no way to cover that kind of ground on foot. Patches of it, yes. But for the most part we use either our pickups or an atv/utv to get around. There’s also regular maintenance done by others on a site within the property boundaries as well. So the deer are pretty much used to the traffic and not particularly spooky. Bigger bucks will most often step into the brush and watch us drive by - stop and they won’t stay long.

Elk on the other hand are transient and even if we’re quite some distance away, will almost always take off.....

At 68 and bum knees, I use my atv as often as possible to realistically cut down on my having to walk unnecessarily. That means riding close enough to still slip into my hunt area or place it somewhere down the hill out of my hunt area to get back to the truck or other start area.

Game retrieval is a biggie for all of us. Very few fall close to the road and your not going to drive a pickup or Jeep in this black sticky country if there’s even a hint of moisture. Almost all of my elk get dressed gutless and bagged to come out on the quad. Many of the deer, too. It just makes sense..... we don’t want to create ruts and trash the terrain, so the light foot print of the atv’s is a huge advantage.

Most of the guys I meet that hate atv’s, don’t own one. Their reasoning being based on poor riding habits by others - often illegal riding that spoils their chances at game. No one is happy when you’ve toiled up a closed trail or road in the predawn darkness, only to have some A-Hole drive by on a quad to your hunting location.......we’ve all had it happen I suspect. Still others are simply jealous and A-Holes themselves.......
My 2019 Blacktail hitching a ride.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My neighbor rides and then parks his ATV under his ladder stand on the ridge, has done so for years and usually kills a nice buck or two annually.
The stand is 20' and he has formed a brush garage under it, rides right into it.

FJB & FJT
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I’ve got a nephew that rides his atv right up to his stand to the point that he can step from the atv right onto the stand ladder. He always does this about 15 mins after daylight. He can never figure out why he doesn’t see much but I’ve shot a couple deer by getting set up before daylight on the escape corridors from his stand

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't think deer are bother until the machine stops.
Where we hunt the deer will watch the quad,tractor etc. w/o a problem as long as you drive on by.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I think they’re bothered where we hunt in WI.

We haven’t been using them unless it’s well before the season or we have to move stands.

Now that we don’t use them to get in the woods, we see more deer.

Camp is where you make it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Cant speak for whitetails, but I worked on a pedestrian vs ATV elk disturbance study in the White River National Forest in the summer of 2000. Elk ran further when disturbed by an ATV than when disturbed by us walking up on them. It wasn't a huge difference, but it was a statistically significant difference.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CBB
I've had deer run from them and had deer stamd there amd watch me ride past. In farm country wr use them religiously for crossing fields and dropping off/picking up hunters from the stand. It doesn't spook the deer nearly as much as walking a field edge.

If they are used to noise and heavy equipment no big deal.

This is my experience on a farm as well, and it’s annoying. Deer that just lay or stand there as you idle by in a truck or quad will blow up and bust you if you try to walk the edges of the fields.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You know what spooks deer? Getting out of a vehicle.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by earlybrd
How do they effect the deer as far as early morning riding going in vs walking I’ve done the walking up mountains for 30 odd years and had good success

The answer I am going to give you may leave you scratching your head as to what to do, but that is just the way it is.

First off, let me explain my situation. I'm the patriarch of a deer camp that sits on 200 acres in SW Bracken County. Our Opening Days sound like WWIII. There are at least 45 deer per square mile and 1 hunter per 20 acres. There is a lot of ATV traffic in the woods, especially just in the hour before The Opener. That gives me a lot of data points for making this answer. Our place is mostly on a ridge that is halfway between two roads approximately 2 miles apart. A lot of the neighbors use ATVs to access their stands and retrieve deer.

The first situation I will give you is what I hear on The Opener. I like to head out earlier than most, because my Opening Day stand is situated the farthest from the cabin. I am usually up the tree and settled in long before others are moving. Along about 20 minutes before legal hunting begins, you start hearing truck doors slamming and the ATVs cranking up. There is then several minutes of Putt-Putting before things settle back down. What the guys on the ATVs cannot hear is the crashing of deer through the woods ahead of the ATVs. It is quite spectacular. There are deer running every which way. It all settles down for a few minutes and then the shooting starts. From this perspective, I would say that ATVs definitely perturb the deer. However, there is more to this.

When you think about it, the deer really do not have anywhere to run. Well, they do. They run to where the ATV traffic is the least, and that is my place. Part of our success is that we have probably half the hunters that the rest of the neighbors have. We basically use the neighbors, the Orange Army, as beaters. On the other hand, in the big scheme of things, there are so many deer and so many hunters that a deer pushed out of one spot goes to another, and there is usually a hunter there as well.

Up until about 5 years ago, we did not have any ATV traffic on our property. Then our oldest hunter, SuperCore. developed heart trouble and had quad-bypass surgery. He acquired an ATV and now putt-putts out to his blind. You would think that from what I've written his luck would take a nosedive. It has not. He has about as good a record of shooting big bucks as anyone, and his success rate did not go down after acquiring the ATV.

However. . .!

I have no experience with an ATV, but I regularly bowhunted out of a climbing stand for two decades, and I used to park my truck within 80 yards of the stand site. I took all my largest bucks doing this. As long as I went in early and came out late, it was not a problem.

SuperCore is pushing 80, and he has a tendency to want to leave the blind early so he can be back at camp before dark. I have a tower blind about 500 yards away and there is a steep ravine between us. He cranks up his ATV and all of a sudden that ravine comes alive with bounding deer. I have also watched deer right at the margin of the treeline, just getting ready to pop out. SuperCore starts the engine, and they scurry back into the woods. So from this, you might conclude the ATV is chasing them away.

My overall surmise is that ATVs perturb the deer. However, their memories seem to be rather short and their stubborness and curiousity work to your favor. If they want to be somewhere to feed, you can dissuade them for a bit, but eventually, their stomachs will overrule their fear, and they will go back to what they were doing.

In the mornings, an ATV ride is going to put them off a bit. If you go in early, they will be back an hour after sunrise to do their morning thing. If you wait until after legal hunting in the evening to come out, an ATV will not perturb the deer that much. However, be advised that if you run an ATV, the deer are aware of your presence for at least a half a mile all around you, and they are reacting.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Critters like deer and elk become accustomed to regular vehicle and pedestrian traffic on a trail or road. If something happens that deviates from that, like stopping, or getting out of a vehicle, they tend to respond by moving away. Back in the early 80's CPW attached heart monitors to deer and drove by them on an established snowmobile trail. The deer didn't usually run when the sled stayed on the established trail and didn't stop, but theie heart rate went up an surprising amount whenever a sled drove by, even though they didn't display any obvious response..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 71 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.