Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Stepping up from 32mm to 40mm OBJ gets you 56% more lens area / light gathering ability, and if that little bit of weight hinders a person's hiking, they need to get into better shape.

You're a bit confused. An 8x42 has an exit pupil of 5.25mm... that's a 24% larger exit pupil than the 8x32's 4mm. Your "56%" surface area is a factually irrelevant red herring - the size of the exit pupil (ocular divided by power) and quality of the glass are what give optimal light transmission, not the size of the ocular per se. And quality glass goes right to the most important aspect of binoculars - the ability to resolve detail.

A 10x40 binocular has an exit pupil of 4mm - an 8x32 binocular has an exit pupil of 4mm. That's not "56% more light gathering ability," that's 0% if they're of equal glass (and BTW, binoculars don't "gather" light, they transmit light). The 10x40/42 are what most hunters are convinced they need to carry. Truth is, my little 8x32 Ultravids will be brighter than average built 10x42's just due to glass quality.

If I can't see it with the 8x32 Leica's I tote, it's not legal light. My only wish is my 8x32's were 7x32's.

I've hunted Alaska to Maine to here in Montana going back decades. All with 7x30/8x30/32 glass. I've never found the need for 40mm glass, though I do love Leica's 7x42BN and their 8x42 Noctivid (but not for backpack hunting - more for general wildlife viewing/birding). Even then, push to shove, I genuinely dislike the bulk and weight of 42mm bins.

As to "shape", I doubt very much you could keep up with me in the mountains, and based on your comments, I doubt you've ever done an actual wilderness backpack elk hunt (living for days in the backcountry out of only what you carry in your pack on your back).

But at least you're from Texas...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Now you have done it… Prepare for a Cockwomble91 response. 😂

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
x32's are around my chest...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Stepping up from 32mm to 40mm OBJ gets you 25% more lens area / light gathering ability, and if that little bit of weight hinders a person's hiking, they need to get into better shape.

I grew up and live at 6000+ ft, am 65 years old, and can out hike (most) 40 year olds. As a guide, I’ve watched a LOT of over-geared, over-optic, over-gunned and over-clothed clients struggle with too much of everything.

I have 7x, 8x, and 10x Swaros, and a couple other binos too. If I had to choose one, it would be my 7x30 Swaros. Just like with a rifle, an extra 10-16 ozs in the hand or around the neck or in a bino bucket is a lot different than an extra 10 lbs around the middle……

Objective lens size is fair bit less important than the quality of glass and quality of the view.

The last three elk I killed I was carrying my 7x26 Bushnell Custom Compacts. They’re so small and light a guy can forget they are even there.

At 65 I’m carrying more scheit while hunting than I ever did at 35. Sometimes I wonder if things aren’t actually devolving….

Laffin'. That about sums it up nicely...

- Greg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GregW

Laffin'. That about sums it up nicely...

+1

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I would agree. For me, it’s mostly a comfort/ergo thing.

Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Plus optics have become so good that the smaller size isn't a disadvantage under most hunting situations.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been using my little 8x20 Leica Ultravids a lot over the last couple years - I've actually become comfortable enough with them I may just use them on this years elk hunt.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It always comes down to ergos for me as well. I've tried numerous 8x32 configs......Swaro, Meopta, Conquest HD,etc and I've never found one to fit me well. I must have a weird face since it's always and eye relief/blackout issue for me. I've never owned the EL SV version but it did fit me better than anything else I've tried.

I own several "alphas", but if I were buying today, you can't go wrong the $1000 class glass. I'd go straight to a Meostar HD or Tract Toric, or a Maven B1. I personally avoid anything Nikon like the plague because Nikon sucks as a company and their customer service is an absolute joke.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have played with the smaller binos a bit and their quality/light gathering for sure has improved over the years but they're almost too light and I never could get comfortable with them. If I come across some 8X32 or similar from an Alpha brand at a decent price I may have to give them a try. For now though I still prefer 10X42mm for general purpose stuff due to ergos and honestly....I like a little extra weight on my chest as it helps (or maybe not....I dunno) balance out the weight in my pack.

I packed only my 15x56 Meoptas and a 9+ pound rifle on a sheep hunt this year. By the end I was wishing for less weight no doubt but I am glad I stuck with the 15X56s....though I could have made my shot with a sub-5 pound open sighted .30-30. Oh well. Such is life and I will only have those same 15X binos on me next week for mule deer and elk in Idaho and I am sure my buddy will only have his 15X SLCs along. Neither of us use tripods with them either and I seem to be leaving my upper end Zeiss and Steiner 10X40/42s at home more and more for deer and elk.

There's lots to consider and everyone is different. I guess we also can get stuck in our ways.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Stepping up from 32mm to 40mm OBJ gets you 56% more lens area / light gathering ability, and if that little bit of weight hinders a person's hiking, they need to get into better shape.

Maybe so, but that does not necessarily equal a bigger exit pupil. Not to mention glass quality/coatings among other things is a huge factor in light gathering too. An individual's eye and their eyesight is also something to consider.

I (pun?) see (pun again?) Brad already mentioned the exit pupil and coatings thing.

Last edited by T_Inman; 10/06/21.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm firmly in the 8x32 camp here but you do make a point, TinMan. Weight and jiggle are related and if someone has the shakes for whatever reason, bigger heavier glass might be something that they should consider. Also inter pupillary distance is a thing. It used to be a selling point for Leupold Yosemite (a fantastic little binocular by the way) that they covered a larger cross section of the population in that regard.

The real point here seems to be that saying "you must have a 10x42 binocular to be successful" is claptrap.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I do typically 3 to 5 miles a day elk hunting so weight isn't a huge deal to me.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You are better than me..( you wish) I tried to only cary 12X’s a couple weeks ago and it didn’t work well without the tripod.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have played with the smaller binos a bit and their quality/light gathering for sure has improved over the years but they're almost too light and I never could get comfortable with them. If I come across some 8X32 or similar from an Alpha brand at a decent price I may have to give them a try. For now though I still prefer 10X42mm for general purpose stuff due to ergos and honestly....I like a little extra weight on my chest as it helps (or maybe not....I dunno) balance out the weight in my pack.

I packed only my 15x56 Meoptas and a 9+ pound rifle on a sheep hunt this year. By the end I was wishing for less weight no doubt but I am glad I stuck with the 15X56s....though I could have made my shot with a sub-5 pound open sighted .30-30. Oh well. Such is life and I will only have those same 15X binos on me next week for mule deer and elk in Idaho and I am sure my buddy will only have his 15X SLCs along. Neither of us use tripods with them either and I seem to be leaving my upper end Zeiss and Steiner 10X40/42s at home more and more for deer and elk.

There's lots to consider and everyone is different. I guess we also can get stuck in our ways.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

You need some 12x42 Pures for that my man!

- Greg

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am really wishing I had never looked through them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SLM

Yeah. My pissed off at Swaro is waning for some reason. It's like 3 glasses in one - tripod, chest, scanning with minimal to no size, weight, or FOV penalty.

It's quite an unbelievable set of glass...

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Those evil thoughts have crossed my mind. I swore off Swaros, but one never knows with me.

Originally Posted by SLM
You are better than me..( you wish) I tried to only cary 12X’s a couple weeks ago and it didn’t work well without the tripod.

Go to a higher grade crack. Less shakes. More hallucinations. Makes for a good hunt as you get to "see" a lot.
My reason for moving away from the tripod had way more to do with it tweaking my back at all kinds of weird angles than anything else. The rock solid image was nice, but I can hold them plenty steady enough without it, especially when I brace my elbows on my knees. Plus, it is less weight and stuff to keep track of, less time getting set up to glass, etc. Way mo better now, overall.

Suck it.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They are impressive.

Originally Posted by SLM

Yeah. My pissed off at Swaro is waning for some reason. It's like 3 glasses in one - tripod, chest, scanning with minimal to no size, weight, or FOV penalty.

It's quite an unbelievable set of glass...

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I can only afford the low grade truck stop stuff.

The 12’s were good sitting/supported, but those quick unsupported looks while winded kicked my ass.

Those evil thoughts have crossed my mind. I swore off Swaros, but one never knows with me.

Originally Posted by SLM

Go to a higher grade crack. Less shakes. More hallucinations. Makes for a good hunt as you get to "see" a lot.
My reason for moving away from the tripod had way more to do with it tweaking my back at all kinds of weird angles than anything else. The rock solid image was nice, but I can hold them plenty steady enough without it, especially when I brack my elbows on my knees. Plus, it is less weight and stuff to keep track of, less time getting set up to glass, etc. Way mo better now, overall.

Suck it.

Last edited by SLM; 10/06/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother and nephew both got Vortex 12X binos last year and really like them. I'm not a Vortex fan but they looked like pretty good, but not great glass. The weight of the larger binos helps me to steady them a bit, especially when winded.

Funny thing happened this last weekend with my Swaro ELs I just got. I was so proud of my new glass I handed them to several of the guys to look through and everyone said wow! at least once when looking through them except one guy. He told me the left barrel wouldn't focus, but the right one was clear as a bell... well, I was instantly worried and pissed off at Swarovski that I was going to have to send them back to get adjusted or repaired... it turns out he had bumped the focus ring and accidently adjust the diopter adjustment before looking through them . I didn't know anything about this adjustment because I bought them used and didn't get the box or owners' manual with them... I was pretty relieved when I realized what all those numbers under the focus ring meant and got it back to working like it should... wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 85 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.