Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Discing for that stuff is a waste of time if you have enough rain coming. It'll grow on bare ground if you have enough rain coming.

Kill whatever is standing, let it die and wait for a sure enough rain. Broadcast your stuff and mow or roll what you killed down over it. It works with seed as large as tillage radish.

In your case you're most of the way there. I repeated the words enough and rain on purpose. That's the key. Having done this a couple times now I won't disc again.

Not even a 24hourdumpsterfire troll is foolish enough to put ryegrass in a bait plot.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hence the difference between cereal rye and ryegrass

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Is it as simple as throwing seeds out ?

Dang ole rain. Looking like it won’t go away.

Last month i bushhogged and put the glypho to it.

Tried to disc Saturday. Couldn’t break 1/2 of my plots. Too muddy. Throwing up rooster tails.

Still have time, though i like to plant late sept / early October.

Normally I’ll plant bob oats, elbow rye and wheat.

Thinking this year may have to go with rye grass. Spread and let it be.

BigDave, rye grass can be killed by freezing temps, where rye can stand more cold weather. I'm going by my farming days and that was 35 yrs ago.

I've been using your recipe of bob oats, winter wheat, and rye for the last few years and it has done really good.

Last edited by Oldman03; 10/06/21.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I planted some Cowpeas but also I put some no till. Most of the no till is Rye Grass, 80% ish. Deer could care less about Rye grass, but Turkeys love it.

I forget the other stuff in the no til I put out, but it got rained on and should grow. I can see something coming up on my cell cams.

Thanks, Billy
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by slumlord
I do a Glyphosphate ‘burn down’ when I do a no-till

Wait about 10 days for everything to wilt and get mushy. Toss out rape and brassica, turnip greens, etc.
small seed only need ground contact to take off. Do it right before a pounding rain so the pushes the seed into the decaying duff.

This is what I do. Buckwheat in May for a nurse crop. and then 7 weeks later, broadcast 1oolbs/ac cowpeas and lay it over with a drag, and spray it with gly. In Oct broadcast wheat to 2oolbs/ac and a few greens. You will not use any fert/lime after you get this started and your soil will be primo. Been doing this a number of years with stellar results.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 10/06/21.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Rye grass is a PITA to get rid of. Deer do not like it.

You can also use milo/sorgum as a nurse/smother crop. What ever you have on hand.

BIG RAIN is the key... I have quit using tractors/disc because it is cheaper to no till and I can control my weeds easier. Added benefit is that you can actually make sandy worn out soil, prosperous again after a few years of no till.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What a dip schidt who likes to hear himself talk

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Deer are not much on rye grass after it's long and stemmy, but that young tender stuff less than 6 inches, they will kill it. In my part of the country their is not much deer like better than young tender rye and white clover. YMMV

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman03

BigDave, rye grass can be killed by freezing temps, where rye can stand more cold weather. I'm going by my farming days and that was 35 yrs ago.

I've been using your recipe of bob oats, winter wheat, and rye for the last few years and it has done really good.

The bob oats / elbow rye / wheat is about the cheapest $/pound seed for food plots I’ve found.

And it works well.

haven’t found a good mix that isn’t high % rye grass.

Did make a new plot earlier this fall, maybe 1/4 acre. Planted brassicas and clover. It’s doing so so.

Plant the bob oats, not the more expensive buck forage oats.

I’ve even used feed wheat when co-op was out of seed wheat.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve planted cheap feed oats, they’ll tear em up after they get ankle high, especially if your acorns are on vacation that fall.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don’t have much luck with the no-till method. I’ve tried it a couple of times, but didn’t get good results. Establishing new vs existing plots is a different process for me. On new, I chemical burn, till, plant larger seeds, drag (or harrow), then broadcast the tiny seeds. I plant wheat, oats, soybeans, chicory, clover and some rape. I then frost seed clover in February/early March in those plots because they get hammered over the winter. By the following fall, they become really nice clover plots. I maintain them through the summer by eradicating grasses with Clethodim.

I’m going to try the no-till method on a few again next year. I think the areas I’ve tried had too much vegetation to begin with. We’ll see what happens.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I don’t have much luck with the no-till method. I’ve tried it a couple of times, but didn’t get good results. Establishing new vs existing plots is a different process for me. On new, I chemical burn, till, plant larger seeds, drag (or harrow), then broadcast the tiny seeds. I plant wheat, oats, soybeans, chicory, clover and some rape. I then frost seed clover in February/early March in those plots because they get hammered over the winter. By the following fall, they become really nice clover plots. I maintain them through the summer by eradicating grasses with Clethodim.

I’m going to try the no-till method on a few again next year. I think the areas I’ve tried had too much vegetation to begin with. We’ll see what happens.
I've had the best luck with grains in my no-till plots. Cereal rye and oats especially. Tried some turnips this year. They are growing, but not as much as I'd like. I think all of the volunteer rye/oats from last year is out competing them.

This year I went cheap with the oats for my main plot; feed oats at Rural King for $15/50#. They are growing quite well! Wish I had a better stand of soybeans for them to be growing in, but the first batch rotted and the second seeding didn't get planted until middle of July. Still feeding deer, but doubt I'll get much grain production for late season.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Only time we use annual rye is to fill in spots later in the season. We most always do 2:1 wheat/oats. I didn't till my big food plot this year. I did till two smaller ones. I'm curious how it pans out.

Last edited by killerv; 10/07/21.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

581 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,951
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.