-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The T-7 was a huge event in my life. I'm usually reloading for 2 or 3 rifles at a time so it's no brainer for me.

I tend to use more than enough gun
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by jonesmd4
I'm not sure where folks think these presses are made, but it's name is Lyman All American 8 tm, and on the front of the box says " MADE IN THE USA".

Yep. And so are Redding T7s.

I have and use one of each, and like them both very much.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by waterrat
The T-7 was a huge event in my life. I'm usually reloading for 2 or 3 rifles at a time so it's no brainer for me.

Yep, which is exactly I have both a Lyman 8 AND a Redding T7. Am generally working with multiple cartridges, and between the two presses generally can even find a place for one more set of dies!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I went back and forth between the Redding T-7 and the Lyman T-8. After reading reviews and comparing costs I went with the Lyman and added two additional turrets. One of the turrets had a bit of play in it, but a washer took care of it. I use it as a single stage press and really like not having to make die adjustments on the calibers I load regularly. After trying it I removed the priming arm. It's clunky and in the way. The old Lee hand priming tool works much better. I also have an old Lyman All American four hole turret press that sits with either 9mm or 45 ACP dies in it, and a RCBS Rock Chucker IV that is used for depriming and any other die set not already on the T-8 turrets.

I'm not sure where folks think these presses are made, but it's name is Lyman All American 8 tm, and on the front of the box says " MADE IN THE USA".

That's good info, thanks jones!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Turret presses are fine for handgun ammo...not so fine for rifle ammo.
I've owned a lot of presses of both styles over the years and still have my Rock Chucker.

I checked Ebay prices on the Holly Wood Gun Shop turret press....big bucks these days wish I had kept mine so I could sell it now.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC
I've owned a lot of presses of both styles over the years and still have my Rock Chucker.

I checked Ebay prices on the Holly Wood Gun Shop turret press....big bucks these days wish I had kept mine so I could sell it now.

Sounds Good When You Say It Fast,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by LFC

I shot professionally for fifteen years and had no issues using a Redding turret press.

I should qualify that with I used a large Simplex O frame for full length sizing.

Last edited by JSTUART; 10/04/21.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did you win every time....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've thought about getting one but I really like my old RCBS 4x4. Wish someone made the 4x4 shell plates for it though!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by LFC

Apparently you didn't read my post about handloading my benchrest rifle's ammo on my Redding T7. It's best load average .15 inch for 5-shot groups at 100 yards.

I thoroughly tested one of the Lyman 8s when they were introduced 2-3 years ago, and every hole performed exactly the same task, with equal precision.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I also believe Sierra used the heck out of one for years making bullet testing ammo.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I had read somewhere that the new presses were made in China. It was on the internet, so it has to be true, lol.

Good information, thank you. I'll give the Lyman a look, especially if the additional turrets are cheaper.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

Lots of guys who shoot competitevly on accurateshooter.com are using turret presses, from Redding and Lyman to Lee.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by LFC

Professional Trapper (kangaroo shooter) in Australia...so yes, I mostly won.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC

Hasn’t been my experience. Wouldn’t give up my T7

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by mathman
I also believe Sierra used the heck out of one for years making bullet testing ammo.

Yep. Saw it in the Redding plant probably 20+ years ago, with a testimonial plaque from Sierra saying they'd loaded over a million rounds with it. The press still worked fine, but Sierra thought Redding might like to display it.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have had mine for years. Only one thing I did not like, the priming part of the press was in the way of the work area so it was removed.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I hope you enablers are happy.....I ordered a T-7 yesterday from MidwayUSA and a couple extra turrets. If anyone is looking, MidwayUSA still has the turrets in stock.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
the lyman is on sale at midway for 220.00 and free freight

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I use the Barsness method to minimize runout. I de-cap the brass then resize without the expander button in the die.

I just used Mr. John’s method on a little over 2k 5.56 brass. About half way thru it occurred to me how I could have saved one trip thru the press for all those cases. I’ll be ordering a .17 cal expander button and spindle to put in my .223 REM sizing die. That way I can punch the dead primers and size the case at the same time without touching the reduced neck. Then install the .224 button to push size the neck. Duh. That would have saved 2k pulls on the Rockchucker. But at least it occurred to me before tackling the next project. Should also work with other cartridges by stepping down one size on the expander.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 40 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.