Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A bit of unknown history:

The deadliest sinking killed about 9000, more than the Titanic and Lusitania combined. It was in 1945. Refugees fleeing the invading Russians coming into East Prussia raced to the Polish port city of Gotenhafen and boarded a German luxury liner. There were about 10k people aboard when it was torpedoed by a Russian submarine. It was a sitting duck and, like the Titanic, went down in the winter when the water was barely liquid.
The sub's captain was a heavy drinker and hoped to regain his reputation with the attack, regardless that it was all civilians. The Russians considered it revenge for what the Nazi's had done to them during Hitler's march to St. Petersburg.

Wilhelm Gustloff

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WWII should be called properly: The War To Save Joseph Stalin, thanks to Frank The Crippled Commie

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
There have been several documentaries on German TV about the sinking of the Gustloff. And there is a movie about the incident tilteled "Nacht fiel über Gotenhafen" - "Night fell over Gotenhafen"

In the documentary several survivers and eye witnesses were interviewed. One of them, a woman stated that she wasn't able to listen to the children's song "Alle meine Entchen"/All my little ducklings" anymore, especially when it comes to the verse:

Alle meine Entchen schwimmen auf dem See, schwimmen auf dem See, Köpfchen in das Wasser, Schwänzchen in die Höh'/All my little ducklings are swimming on the lake, swimming on the lake, heads (plunge) into the water, tails to the top"

because when leaving the sinking ship some kids were dressed with adult live vests which forced their heads into the water and the legs were straightened into the air and the kids did fidget with their legs to get their heads back to the surface of the water which didn't work and they drowned.

I had a coworker who only could be my coworker because his grandmother and mother were refused to get aboard the Gustloff. Coming from East Prussia and fleeing from the advancing Red Army they often were forced to hit the dirt because of raiding low-flying Russian aircraft They got to the harbor too late. The ship was already overcrowded. So they had to move west on feet. Sometimes in life you think it sucks but then you realize you are a lucky fellow.

Elmer Keith
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
This was recently on TV also.
Pretty interesting.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Imagine the anguish of the father shooting his wife and kids to spare them the water?

The way life should be.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The Germans committed some real atrocities during their march into Russia and the 2.5 year siege of St. Petersburg (named Leningrad at that time). The invading Russians were out for revenge and reciprocating in kind with rapes, killings, and brutality.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Germans didn’t hold a candle to the Russians. Sure, there was an element of revenge but lots of the Russian troops were from non-European areas and were almost from a different time. Their standards of behavior were more like that of a medieval army. In addition to the atrocities they did things like rip plumbing and light fixtures out to take home and put them in their huts. They had no conception of modern things.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bluefish
Imagine the anguish of the father shooting his wife and kids to spare them the water?

Not only can I not...I don't ever want to.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Russia is and always was an enigma. Stalin murdered more of his own people than Hitler did yet they still fought for him. Actually they fought for the nation but still for the most brutal dictator in history up to then. Hitler likely would've had help if he'd decided to attack Russia first. Both he and Stalin were insane megalomaniacs and we did support him for our own selfish reasons.
Russia is still pretty bad as dictatorships go but we're catching up pretty fast thanks to democrats and Dominion.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Stalin had been at war with the Ukraine for years and genocide was his way of dealing with them. Germany overran the Ukraine and took hundreds of thousands to Poland for slave labor. Countless numbers of them died. After the war, the Ukrainian survivors returned home only to have Stalin accuse them of working for the Nazis. He shipped them off to the gulags where the rest of them died.
It's estimated that Stalin killed 20 million Russians during his reign. Both Stalin and Mao made Hitler look like a novice at killing.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The Germans didn’t hold a candle to the Russians. Sure, there was an element of revenge but lots of the Russian troops were from non-European areas and were almost from a different time. Their standards of behavior were more like that of a medieval army. In addition to the atrocities they did things like rip plumbing and light fixtures out to take home and put them in their huts. They had no conception of modern things.

JoeBob;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one in your part of the world and all who matter in it are well.

Your statement matches exactly with at least two German folks I knew well enough that they'd share childhood memories with me.

One chap who was one of my horse training mentors would talk about what he described as Asiatic looking soldiers coming in on small ponies, which he likened to Genghis Kahn's Mongol hordes invading Europe. He said the civilians were horribly mistreated, especially the women and that as mentioned the took everything that wasn't nailed down and some stuff that was.

The rumor the Germans heard and he repeated to me, was that these troops weren't paid by the Russians, that they were fighting for the spoils of war that they could carry off, more or less.

I also heard stories from a Dutch chap who was a truck driver moving food throughout the different Allied zones and the tension between the Americans, Canadians, Brits and the Russians was bad enough that sometimes shooting erupted. He recalled an American soldier who was doing traffic control shooting a pair of Russians in a US jeep. His understanding of that conflict was that the Russians had either stolen the jeep or at very least didn't belong in it. Anyways, he said "Out came the big pistol, und Bang, Bang - two dead Russians"...

It was, again as you said, more like medieval army behavior in many ways when it came to Germany's occupation.

All the best and good luck on your remaining hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rainshot
Russia is and always was an enigma. Stalin murdered more of his own people than Hitler did yet they still fought for him. Actually they fought for the nation but still for the most brutal dictator in history up to then. Hitler likely would've had help if he'd decided to attack Russia first. Both he and Stalin were insane megalomaniacs and we did support him for our own selfish reasons.
Russia is still pretty bad as dictatorships go but we're catching up pretty fast thanks to democrats and Dominion.

Like the Genus genius commie campfire troll crew. Gayghost, Paddler, JeninTen....

Pure scum.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Lots of brutality on both sides. I was reading some history the other day and it stated that the Germans would shoot any captured female Russian soldiers. They considered the Russians to be sub-human brutes and using women in combat roles was an atrocity. As this approach became know to the Russians, they women would often commit suicide if it looked like they would be captured.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by JoeBob

JoeBob;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one in your part of the world and all who matter in it are well.

Your statement matches exactly with at least two German folks I knew well enough that they'd share childhood memories with me.

One chap who was one of my horse training mentors would talk about what he described as Asiatic looking soldiers coming in on small ponies, which he likened to Genghis Kahn's Mongol hordes invading Europe. He said the civilians were horribly mistreated, especially the women and that as mentioned the took everything that wasn't nailed down and some stuff that was.

The rumor the Germans heard and he repeated to me, was that these troops weren't paid by the Russians, that they were fighting for the spoils of war that they could carry off, more or less.

I also heard stories from a Dutch chap who was a truck driver moving food throughout the different Allied zones and the tension between the Americans, Canadians, Brits and the Russians was bad enough that sometimes shooting erupted. He recalled an American soldier who was doing traffic control shooting a pair of Russians in a US jeep. His understanding of that conflict was that the Russians had either stolen the jeep or at very least didn't belong in it. Anyways, he said "Out came the big pistol, und Bang, Bang - two dead Russians"...

It was, again as you said, more like medieval army behavior in many ways when it came to Germany's occupation.

All the best and good luck on your remaining hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Two excellent posts. Those Russian hordes that reached Berlin fit the perfect definition of "untermenschen"....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One has to wonder how WWII would have ended if the US and other Allies were not forced to contend with Japan and all those extra resources were in Europe.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by SuperCub
One has to wonder how WWII would have ended if the US and other Allies were not forced to contend with Japan and all those extra resources were in Europe.

It was Japan that got us into the war, without the Pearl Harbor attack the US may not have entered the war. Then on Dec. 11 Hitler declared war on the United States, bringing us into the war in Europe. I guess invading the Soviet Union on June 22, 1941 wasn't a big enough blunder, having a 2 front war, he need to bring in the largest industrial power in the world against him. Imagine how the war against Japan would have ended if all of the resources that the US sent to Europe had been sent to the Pacific.

Last edited by ar15a292f; 10/07/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Originally Posted by SuperCub

It was Japan that got us into the war, without the Pearl Harbor attack the US may not have entered the war. Then on Dec. 11 Hitler declared war on the United States, bringing us into the war in Europe. I guess invading the Soviet Union on June 22, 1941 wasn't a big enough blunder, having a 2 front war, he need to bring in the largest industrial power in the world against him. Imagine how the war against Japan would have ended if all of the resources that the US sent to Europe had been sent to the Pacific.

Correct, but the US was already in the war in Europe in some measure with lend/lease. I was merely wondering out loud with my hypothesis. Patton also wondered out loud as well concerning the Russians post nazi Germany.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hitler should have learned a lesson from Napoleon about invading Russia. But Hitler, an egomaniac, thought he was a far better general than Napoleon, who just happened to have been one of the best generals in history.

Russia and the Russian winter defeated them both.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Stalin had been at war with the Ukraine for years and genocide was his way of dealing with them. Germany overran the Ukraine and took hundreds of thousands to Poland for slave labor. Countless numbers of them died. After the war, the Ukrainian survivors returned home only to have Stalin accuse them of working for the Nazis. He shipped them off to the gulags where the rest of them died.
It's estimated that Stalin killed 20 million Russians during his reign. Both Stalin and Mao made Hitler look like a novice at killing.
The Ukrainians and other Soviet minorities originally looked on the Germans as liberators but the Nazis very quickly showed them that this wasn't so. Another one of those German blunders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.