Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I have never called in any critter in my ~30 years of hunting not a bird, predator, big game, nothing.

I purchased a Foxpro Fusion hoping to get to take it to Wyoming a few weeks ago on our antelope trip but shipping was slow and we didn't get to take it. It finally arrived and I had some free time after work. A coworker and I wandered up a skid trail into an old brushed over burn and set up for an attempt at calling in a coyote. I had watched a YouTube video by Foxpro on setting up a stand and call progression but really I had very little clue what I was doing. We set up the call and tucked into the brush and started calling.

After about 20 minutes of calling I motioned to my buddy asking if he was ready to call it a day. He motioned back he heard something in the brush to his left. A moment later he snapped his fingers at me and pointed in front of us. I started scanning the opening looking for a coyote and locked eyes with this mountain lion standing broadside at ~20 yards. I had my suppressed AR pistol loaded with 50 grain Vmax sitting in a BogPod FieldMax tripod. I put the cross hairs behind her shoulder and sent one. She bound off crashing through the head high to me brush.

We were completely in shock and my hands were shaking but dark was coming so we started looking for blood. There wasn't any blood and no clear tracks from the pads and she was covering serious ground bounding down the hill. We decided to go down into the brush and look. We got down near the creek at the bottom and my buddy said I hear it breathing! We had walked past her in the brush. We could hear labored breathing above us and then the brush started moving towards us about 25 feet away. We stood there kind of dumb waiting to see if there was going to be excitement. The breathing slowed and the brush stopped moving. We waited and the sun set. I worked my way slowly up hill toward the last spot the brush was moving. I started seeing parts of cat laying in the brush and not moving. She was dead.

She was surprisingly heavy without much to grab onto but we we toted her back up the hill to the skid trail, snapped a few pictures, admired her beauty and fierceness, and began skinning her out. The meat is in the freezer, the hide is at the taxidermist, the skull is in the crock-pot. A mountain lion was at the top of my bucket list so I'm super pumped to finally see one let alone shoot one. Now to my next bucket list item find a wolf!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Found the 50 grain Vmax on the far side against the hide
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have always heard good things about lion meat other than the risk of trichinosis. It looked really good.
The plan is mostly sausage but we'll see if I can convince the wife to cook it other ways.
[Linked Image]

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
cool! congrats!. Really surprised with how that 50 grain V-max held together. I would have expected it to be into pieces based on other experiences.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Real cool story. Congrats. Never crockpotted a skull. Post pics of that when done please.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very cool experience. Getting that kind of animal in that way is about perfect

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Awesome!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's cool! Congrats on calling and killing a lion.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Congratulations No Doubt ! ! cool

I’m glad it worked out well for you but.... sounded like it could have turned out
much diff & for worse. shocked

A serious question. Now, will you choose that gun & load on purpose to call
Mtn Lion ? smirk

NO criticism I promise. I would choose something bigger.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, great hunt but I don't think I want to hear anything breathing that I can't see!!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That’s an amazing story!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by 30338
Real cool story. Congrats. Never crockpotted a skull. Post pics of that when done please.

Will do. Ever since the wife got an Instapot the crock pot has been available. I've done a few but it is limited to what fits in the pot. They do a great job of low and slow. Keeps me from over cooking/boiling skulls which is super lame.

Originally Posted by jwall
Congratulations No Doubt ! ! cool

I’m glad it worked out well for you but.... sounded like it could have turned out
much diff & for worse. shocked

A serious question. Now, will you choose that gun & load on purpose to call
Mtn Lion ? smirk

NO criticism I promise. I would choose something bigger.

Jerry

Jerry, I wouldn't reach for the 10.5" 223 for mountain lion but if that is all I have I'm not passing grin My 12.5" Grendel would probably get the nod if I was calling specifically for lion or wolf.
I've killed a fair amount of critters with a 223 and have confidence in it. I could have shot her a few inches farther forward and probably had a quicker death. I was ~4" inches behind the shoulder instead of tucked next to it. Caught the back of the lungs instead of the center. She only went ~75 yards.

Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Wow, great hunt but I don't think I want to hear anything breathing that I can't see!!

It was not a comfortable situation and I was glad I was not alone!!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool - congrats!

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
They are around but seldom seen. Good job. Edk

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Nice, I am all for eating cougars but not that kind.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well done ,,and kudos on the "pucker factor"

Hunting with FoxPro's can be exciting.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great write up and experience. Pucker factor indeed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cool hunt for a first time!

LOL
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nice job on the cat! Good luck with the wolf

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Congratulations!
Cool story!

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congrats and 2 thumbs up! Report back on how you like the meat, I've never had it but understand it's quite good.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The meat really is good...very much like po9rk in all respects. Excellent and unexpected performance out of that 50Vmax!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (160user, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,788
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.