Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Great story and pictures - thanks for sharing .

Best luck on the wolves !!!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
bob cats, no lion so far, great eating

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great story and pics conrgats. I've called in two with a fox pro and my partner killed one, never got a chance at the other.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
I have never called in any critter in my ~30 years of hunting not a bird, predator, big game, nothing.

I purchased a Foxpro Fusion hoping to get to take it to Wyoming a few weeks ago on our antelope trip but shipping was slow and we didn't get to take it. It finally arrived and I had some free time after work. A coworker and I wandered up a skid trail into an old brushed over burn and set up for an attempt at calling in a coyote. I had watched a YouTube video by Foxpro on setting up a stand and call progression but really I had very little clue what I was doing. We set up the call and tucked into the brush and started calling.

After about 20 minutes of calling I motioned to my buddy asking if he was ready to call it a day. He motioned back he heard something in the brush to his left. A moment later he snapped his fingers at me and pointed in front of us. I started scanning the opening looking for a coyote and locked eyes with this mountain lion standing broadside at ~20 yards. I had my suppressed AR pistol loaded with 50 grain Vmax sitting in a BogPod FieldMax tripod. I put the cross hairs behind her shoulder and sent one. She bound off crashing through the head high to me brush.

We were completely in shock and my hands were shaking but dark was coming so we started looking for blood. There wasn't any blood and no clear tracks from the pads and she was covering serious ground bounding down the hill. We decided to go down into the brush and look. We got down near the creek at the bottom and my buddy said I hear it breathing! We had walked past her in the brush. We could hear labored breathing above us and then the brush started moving towards us about 25 feet away. We stood there kind of dumb waiting to see if there was going to be excitement. The breathing slowed and the brush stopped moving. We waited and the sun set. I worked my way slowly up hill toward the last spot the brush was moving. I started seeing parts of cat laying in the brush and not moving. She was dead.

She was surprisingly heavy without much to grab onto but we we toted her back up the hill to the skid trail, snapped a few pictures, admired her beauty and fierceness, and began skinning her out. The meat is in the freezer, the hide is at the taxidermist, the skull is in the crock-pot. A mountain lion was at the top of my bucket list so I'm super pumped to finally see one let alone shoot one. Now to my next bucket list item find a wolf!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Found the 50 grain Vmax on the far side against the hide
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have always heard good things about lion meat other than the risk of trichinosis. It looked really good.
The plan is mostly sausage but we'll see if I can convince the wife to cook it other ways.
[Linked Image]
Very cool. There are a ton of cats out here. Nothing Idaho

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by viking
Nice, I am all for eating cougars but not that kind.

Hahaha! +1

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by rainshadow1
Nice! Well done!

I'd love to get the story on my website if you don't mind. (Happy to put in your website with it.)

Thanks! For inspiration I’ve watched your videos and read stories on your website. You’re welcome to use my story!
[/quote]

Thanks! I'll save it and post it up soon!

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome way to begin calling.

Didn't go that easily for me...

Cool pics, too

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

WOW !!!!!!!!!

Blessings, Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to see you posting again Steve.

As to the cat...that's neat as hell. I have never called one in that I am aware of. Bears, wolves, bobcats and lynx along with the more common stuff---yes, mountain lions---no. Nice work!
I've killed several over dogs and had my chance at some incidentals, but never due to a predator call.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
That will be a tough act to follow w/ mere coyotes, you must have done it right. I often wonder if there are lions I am not seeing.grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Excellent story. Really appreciate your report. I haven't seen a Mountain Lion in the woods. When I lived in Alaska I ran across a lynx. Thought that was pretty cool. It was enjoying a ptarmigan. I considered shooting it, but I had lunch earlier and no one shot at me. I did enjoy sitting there watching it. I may have to try one of those Fox calls. Thanks for the pictures. It's great you are encouraging your kids to be involved. Are you going to do a full body mount or just a rug?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very cool and nicely done.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Nice!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great story.

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by dogzapper

WOW !!!!!!!!!

Blessings, Steve

Man it’s good to hear from you Steve! Hope all is well.

Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Excellent story. Really appreciate your report. I haven't seen a Mountain Lion in the woods. When I lived in Alaska I ran across a lynx. Thought that was pretty cool. It was enjoying a ptarmigan. I considered shooting it, but I had lunch earlier and no one shot at me. I did enjoy sitting there watching it. I may have to try one of those Fox calls. Thanks for the pictures. It's great you are encouraging your kids to be involved. Are you going to do a full body mount or just a rug?

For now I’m just having the hide tanned. I may get it rugged though. I used to be really into taxidermy but now I debate on spending the money on another hunt somewhere. The family is voting for some sort of mount though!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice job!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's awesome!!

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good thread, thanks for sharing.

Your bullet looks great.
Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 30338
Real cool story. Congrats. Never crockpotted a skull. Post pics of that when done please.

I’ve been meaning to post these to answer your question. Sorry the pictures aren’t the greatest.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was the stinkiest skull I’ve cooked and I’ve cooked a lot. I treated it twice with 20% peroxide and magnesium carbonate.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
783 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 82 invisible), 3,170 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.