Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I imagine this has been discussed before.
For those of you that make your own BP please share your formula, source of materials, how to make different burn rates 1F thru 4F. Thanks

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Proportions by weight are 75% potassium nitrate (known as saltpeter or saltpetre), 15% softwood charcoal (willow is the best), and 10% sulfur.
spectracide stump remover for the potassium nitrate. sulfur from garden supply or ebay. charcoal is easy to make with a gallon can retort.
fill gallon can with sticks , best is willow. punch hole, or drill 3/8 hole in lid of can. set can hole down on fire with fire surrounding the can. gasses will soon vent out the bottom and burn off sounding like a jet. when gasses cease you have carbonize the willow. grind to a fine powder.
mix with potassium nitrate and sulfur proportionately and put in a ball mixer with the balls already in the mill for 24 hours. the loner it mills the faster it is. you can tell when its done by all the balls will be on top with the powder packed in the bottom.

when mixed blend with 91% isopropyl alcohol mixed 50/50 with distilled water, a small amount at a time until it is like clay, it will start to clean the sides of the bowl,
compress into pucks about 1.25 inches around and 3 inches long. scrape puck gently over window screen to create grains.harder pressure creates larger grains.

this part you just have to get the feel for how much pressure you need for grain size.
even if you get grain size to large(too much pressure) you can always reform it into pucks.
some people use 1 % dextrine as a hardener and binder but i think it makes more fouling.
let grains dry in a preferably controlled space with low humidity . some people dry it on plastic or matal pans so the potassium nitrate won't wick out into paper.. find some screens of different size to sift dry powder if you want to really control grain size.
try to avoid using metal in the process. grin
i have been to Dupont's old factory on the Brandywine. signs of explosions are still evident. laugh

there are several videos on youtube on making BP. one especially good is by a good old southern boy making it out side.
be safe and if you do make it make small batches. your spouse may want the house in one piece. grin

Last edited by deerstalker; 10/07/21.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd suggest one not inform his insurance agent of his doings.

1Minute
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks very much Dearstalker!
My brother made BP, Korean War time frame. He had a good fire burning in his bedroom before dad got it out.

He was told firmly never do that in the house!

Next he was making BP in the upstairs porch. Nice fire there too.

Dad got that out too.

Brother never made BP after that at home for some reason. But he was big into BPCR’s and muzzle loaders later in life. Many of you probably saw him at Quigley. We used to get an extra license by getting a ML whitetail tag.

I think I’d be making BP in the shed, concrete floors etc., not the house.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/09/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Proportions by weight are 75% potassium nitrate (known as saltpeter or saltpetre), 15% softwood charcoal (willow is the best), and 10% sulfur.
spectracide stump remover for the potassium nitrate. sulfur from garden supply or ebay. charcoal is easy to make with a gallon can retort.
fill gallon can with sticks , best is willow. punch hole, or drill 3/8 hole in lid of can. set can hole down on fire with fire surrounding the can. gasses will soon vent out the bottom and burn off sounding like a jet. when gasses cease you have carbonize the willow. grind to a fine powder.
mix with potassium nitrate and sulfur proportionately and put in a ball mixer with the balls already in the mill for 24 hours. the loner it mills the faster it is. you can tell when its done by all the balls will be on top with the powder packed in the bottom.

when mixed blend with 91% isopropyl alcohol mixed 50/50 with distilled water, a small amount at a time until it is like clay, it will start to clean the sides of the bowl,
compress into pucks about 1.25 inches around and 3 inches long. scrape puck gently over window screen to create grains.harder pressure creates larger grains.

this part you just have to get the feel for how much pressure you need for grain size.
even if you get grain size to large(too much pressure) you can always reform it into pucks.
some people use 1 % dextrine as a hardener and binder but i think it makes more fouling.
let grains dry in a preferably controlled space with low humidity . some people dry it on plastic or matal pans so the potassium nitrate won't wick out into paper.. find some screens of different size to sift dry powder if you want to really control grain size.
try to avoid using metal in the process. grin
i have been to Dupont's old factory on the Brandywine. signs of explosions are still evident. laugh

there are several videos on youtube on making BP. one especially good is by a good old southern boy making it out side.
be safe and if you do make it make small batches. your spouse may want the house in one piece. grin

Very good description of the process, however there are other (pyrotechnics supply) places for the chemicals that will give you better purity

https://www.skylighter.com/collecti...-chemicals-kit-makes-10-lbs-black-powder

https://www.skylighter.com/collections/fuels

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
thanks for that link. actually cheaper than buying my way.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.