Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
I use a 6” Forschner with the curved blade. I’ve visited a lot of butcher shops and never seen anyone using anything fancy. Usually whatever cheap boning knife they have available.

So all those customs you order then flip at a huge profit just for that...profit?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boise
Journeyman, I have been using this knife for the last 8 years. I bone out a deer, touch up the edge, then finish it. I like the flex level. I'm interested in your comments/suggestions.

BTW, I don't have pictures of deer being processed. My hands are always a mess and I never thought anyone would find them of interest.

https://www.amazon.com/Dick-Curved-Boning-Knife-Semi-Flex/dp/B000UBB2UQ

Hey Rick, been a while...

In my world there is the "take home the carcass minus guts", "take home the primals", and take home the "ready to freeze, boned out cuts."

I generally prefer the initial -"take home the carcass minus guts " as I'm much better at separating game than most of today's quote-unquote "butchers."

To that end I generally prefer a top end knife that will get me where I want to be...vs where minimum wage hacks who cut up primals to yield "kind of" premium cuts

All that said - we've discussed the brilliant MS candidate who worked for me a few years ago and did his Masters on just this...and is now an executive at one of the major processing companies and freely shares his studies with me because he's like a son..

He advocates automation to the point where robots do all but the final cuts...and those last super skilled cuts are by "Master Butchers"...and those Master Cutters change the old game of cheapest knife for unskilled cutters...and he recommends F Dick X45CrMoV15 vs the generic 1.419 and "400 series" of the competitors...

I'm not qualified to argue with him, ...SO...we began year before last switching to F. Dick from Forschner on my ranch...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
I use a 6” Forschner with the curved blade. I’ve visited a lot of butcher shops and never seen anyone using anything fancy. Usually whatever cheap boning knife they have available.

So all those customs you order then flip at a huge profit just for that...profit?

When have I flipped a custom for a profit? I either sell what I don’t keep for what I have in it or at a lost. Please show me where I’ve made money. Seriously, please show me.

And the customs I have are more for dressing, skinning, and quartering. I have yet to find a custom boning knife that like. I’m not opposed to one, just haven’t found the right one.

Last edited by troutfisher13111; 09/19/21.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ol_mike
For boning out deer/antelope .?

I like a Wyoming knife and a 6 or 7" fixed blade in the field and a longer blade for cutting up meat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For boning I like a 5 or 6 inch curved boner.These also work well when quartering.I also like to use an 8 or 10 inch curved breaking knife for working up the larger cuts of meat.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks ! .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I used one of these for 24yrs as a commercial meat cutter. Still own one and use it. No complaints.

https://corellebrands.com/chicagocutlery/commercial/#replaceable

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boise
Journeyman, I have been using this knife for the last 8 years. I bone out a deer, touch up the edge, then finish it. I like the flex level. I'm interested in your comments/suggestions.

BTW, I don't have pictures of deer being processed. My hands are always a mess and I never thought anyone would find them of interest.

https://www.amazon.com/Dick-Curved-Boning-Knife-Semi-Flex/dp/B000UBB2UQ

That looks like a fine knife for breaking and boning.

I use these assorted knives and tools on occasion.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by keith
McCroskeyknives.com

I skinned and butchered 8 deer and never touched up the blades on a Trapper set....

I have all their knives, they are unbelievable!

A trapper friend of mine skinned 300 beaver with one until it needed a sharpen.

YOU will NOT be dis satisfied.

McCroskey knives make a lot of custom knives look like junk when it comes to a using knife. I skinned and boned out two bull elk with their Elk Skinner, still would shave you!

Bullshit

smile smile smile smile smile smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
365 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.