Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
You can tell when it's hunting season. The email traffic is up. In the past week, I've had three queries about making a long range 303. While I don't think the 303 is the best choice in 2021, it doesn't stop the questions, or the desire to own something that can reach out. For your consideration.

A Modern, Long Range 303 Rifle?

[Linked Image from 303british.com]

[Linked Image from 303british.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have used the 303 more than a little. My first was one of the early versions with iron sights. I liked the cartridge but the rifle had been through hell and was a rough operator. Shot okay but getting it through a magazine of cartridges was a chore. I could see how with a .308 barrel making 30 caliber match bullets usable that it would shoot just fine way out there. The fly in the ointment being there is that pesky 308 to consider. I know logic isn't supposed to interfere......

Last edited by rickt300; 10/07/21.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
And then I read your link!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nice rifles
I have two rifles in that chambering myself. I originally bought them because factory ammo was dirt cheap. Sadly that is not the case anymore. The cartridge is continuing its slide into obsolescence. I continue to hang on to them for sentimental reasons. They remind me of better times.

Last edited by PSE; 10/07/21.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks. When I was in the service, I used to chat with the 308 shooters about their rimless 303s. It surprised me that so many of them said they would rather shoot a 303 if their barrels weren't sewer pipes. I never fully understood why, until I went to my first surplus military rifle match. It is a lot like the CAS weekends, with some people walking around in old uniforms, going to swap tables, etc.

I rebarreled a No 4 in the 1980s using a 308 barrel and finally "got it". It's fun, and there are so many more bullet weights to choose from! I took that rifle hunting with 150 and 165 grain bullets. It was fun then too! I guess whether it's old cars, old radios or old rifles, there's always an interest.

This is a load that consistently groups at 3/4s of an inch. It's a 168 gr Speer with N550. I have no idea why I tried N550, but I am glad that I did. It's great at the vintage rifle matches.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My modern long range 303 is built on a P14 action and is also built with a 30 caliber barrel. I also have a couple of modern 30/40 Krag rifles. One a Ruger, the other a PGW. Performance is pretty well identical but 303 brass is more easily obtained. In strong actions, either cartridge will approach 2600fps with 190's. GD

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
The best thing about the old days is that we were much younger.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One would have to define " long range""..
My particular Ruger single .303 shot with a scope change would be accurate out past 400, at right around 372 things are just about max for the crosshairs I use on my 1.25-4X Leupold.
However II would be hesitant to shoot past 400 because of what II know as far as expansion goes on some bullets, and I don't wannt to start changing loads .
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by catnthehat
One would have to define " long range""..
My particular Ruger single .303 shot with a scope change would be accurate out past 400, at right around 372 things are just about max for the crosshairs I use on my 1.25-4X Leupold.
However II would be hesitant to shoot past 400 because of what II know as far as expansion goes on some bullets, and I don't wannt to start changing loads .
Cat

The definition continues to change as equipment evolves. .

In recent years, the world's militaries have reached out over a mile. Of course, this comes at a price. Larger cartridges, shot from heavier, physically larger rifles with more complex optics have changed the definition of what a sniper is. The same can be said for LR hunters. .

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Steve, you may have noticed that Uberti is making an 1885 Winchester in .303, styled like an English stalking rifle with 24" barrel. It's called the Courtenay, after Frederick Courtenay Selous. Selous actually hunted with percussion large bore shotguns, loaded with ball, but never mind. It's an attractive rifle.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi. It's funny you should mention that. I sent them an enquiry a couple of days ago about the bore and groove diameters. I hope to hear from them this week. I remember when Ruger made the No 1 in 303 British, I was genuinely surprised that they had a .314 groove diameter. I shouldn't have been though, given that Ruger followed the original plans. Uberti probably did as well.

[Linked Image from uberti-usa.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Hi. It's funny you should mention that. I sent them an enquiry a couple of days ago about the bore and groove diameters. I hope to hear from them this week. I remember when Ruger made the No 1 in 303 British, I was genuinely surprised that they had a .314 groove diameter. I shouldn't have been though, given that Ruger followed the original plans. Uberti probably did as well.

Nice rifle, if I didn't already own the finest looking Ruger single shot in .303 I might consider it LOL
Tguis year's buck was taken at 194 yards uphill from the kneeling position
Cat

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have to say that the No 1 looks better to me than the Uberti. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder though.

You didn't shoot that poor creature with a 303, did you? smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

That sure looks like a No. 3 to me.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Cat, that Ruger custom is excellent. I doubt you could be interested in a Uberti.

Steve, I'll be interested to hear what you learn about the bore and groove. I don't think I have the patience or manual dexterity to paper patch bullets as small as .308, and that's what I'd have to do to get accuracy from a .314 barrel. No one wants to spend $1500+ for an inaccurate rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to say that the No 1 looks better to me than the Uberti. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder though.

Yup that is my main rifle that Greydog built for me years ago , 194 yards from kneeling is a chip shot for that rig
However it is a #3๐Ÿ™‚
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10/10/21.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Cat, that Ruger custom is excellent. I doubt you could be interested in a Uberti.

Steve, I'll be interested to hear what you learn about the bore and groove. I don't think I have the patience or manual dexterity to paper patch bullets as small as .308, and that's what I'd have to do to get accuracy from a .314 barrel. No one wants to spend $1500+ for an inaccurate rifle.

A friend of mine casts .314's and powdercoats them for me for my 8.15 x46R!๐Ÿ™‚
Cat

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by catnthehat

Yup that is my main rifle that Greydog built for me years ago , 194 yards from kneeling is a chip shot for that rig
However it is a #3๐Ÿ™‚
Cat

That shows how much I paid attention. whistle

Hog eye, In order to get a good fit, itโ€™s best to use cast . 314 bullets.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.