Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The Hornady 55 gr psp w/cannelure is my general purpose bullet in our .223's. It works quite well from sage rats to coyotes. I haven't used it on anything bigger but friends have and it worked for them.

I wish Hornady had kept producing the 62 grain PSP w/cannelure they did a year or so ago.

As it stands, if going for larger game, I would use either 64 gr PP or 60 gr NPT.

ARIC

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
The Hornady 55 gr psp w/cannelure is my general purpose bullet in our .223's. It works quite well from sage rats to coyotes. I haven't used it on anything bigger but friends have and it worked for them.

I wish Hornady had kept producing the 62 grain PSP w/cannelure they did a year or so ago.

As it stands, if going for larger game, I would use either 64 gr PP or 60 gr NPT.

Midway has the do all Hornady 55gr sp's right now for $10 & change + free shipping. They have 62 gr Speer Gold Dot Bonded for $29 + free shipping.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I can only have one, it'll be a 77 gr., either a Sierra tipped TMK or a Nosler RDF; I won't feel slighted with either one.

Works fine up close, works great at LR.

YMMV

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
If I can only have one, it'll be a 77 gr., either a Sierra tipped TMK or a Nosler RDF; I won't feel slighted with either one.

YMMV

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Found some for you:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....4-diameter-62-grain-soft-point-500-count

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by doubleDs55

Midway has the do all Hornady 55gr sp's right now for $10 & change + free shipping. They have 62 gr Speer Gold Dot Bonded for $29 + free shipping.

Hornady do all 55 gr sp
What's the do all load to go with that for TAC in an
older 223 1 in 12 rifle?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

YMMV

MM

Yessir..............those be the ones.

Why sacrifice real LR capabilities with a schitty BC 55gr SP, when these little puppies will do a least as good, usually better, at short range & they most surely maximize the round's capabilities at LR.

There's a reason most of the SOG's use 77 grainers....................

But the logic, or lack of it, of some, eludes me.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

YMMV

MM

Yessir..............those be the ones.

Why sacrifice real LR capabilities with a schitty BC 55gr SP, when these little puppies will do a least as good, usually better, at short range & they most surely maximize the round's capabilities at LR.

There's a reason most of the SOG's use 77 grainers....................

But the logic, or lack of it, of some, eludes me.

MM

Me too man. Your ammo looks great. I'm sure they fly great too. I wouldn't want to get hit by one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ranger99

Hornady do all 55 gr sp
older 223 1 in 12 rifle?

I like somewhere around 25 or 25.5 grains of tac with 55s

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'd have to agree - all things considered, I've picked the 55gr. Hornady. My on-game experience with the .223 is limited to javelina and that was taken with the 60gr Hornady, but since I would be avoiding heavier bone with critters of that size or larger anyway the 55 grainer would do on broadside shots as well as any. And on paper, when doing a 50-yard sight-in my old Ruger AR-556 put four shots into a single tattered hole with that bullet.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Hornady do all 55 gr sp
older 223 1 in 12 rifle?

Here’s their whole load manual. Scroll down:

https://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/WPHandloading-Guide-7.0-Web-REV.pdf

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dude270

Hornady do all 55 gr sp
older 223 1 in 12 rifle?

I like somewhere around 25 or 25.5 grains of tac with 55s

Ok- thank you

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by shootem

Hornady do all 55 gr sp
older 223 1 in 12 rifle?

Here’s their whole load manual. Scroll down:

https://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/WPHandloading-Guide-7.0-Web-REV.pdf

Ok- thank you

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
FYI y’all, I have some 62gr Hornady BTHP on Classifieds for cost. 62gr FMJBT for less than cost. Bought case of each to get the price down. Keeping all I need.

Last edited by shootem; 10/08/21.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
62 gr Barnes TSX

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by aboltfan

Found some for you:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....4-diameter-62-grain-soft-point-500-count

I would go you one better, the Hornady 62 gr BTHP from the same seller. Better accuracy that the 62 gr BTSP, in my experience. Proven effective on coyotes out to 250 yards (out of a short barrel AR) and even stabilizes in a 1 in 12" twist 26" barrel (in warm temperatures),
this one is my choice for all around .223 bullet.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....r-62-grain-bthp-with-cannelure-500-count

Oh, and they are only .13 per bullet, so 13% cheaper than the less accurate soft point.

Last edited by 2ndtimer; 10/08/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Hornady do all 55 gr sp
older 223 1 in 12 rifle?

I don't use TAC. Used a 1 in 12 decades ago when 223 just came out LOL. Used lots of blc-2 back then.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I like the 55gr GD.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Originally Posted by gunner500
I bought a crap load of 64gr Nosler bonded from Shooters Pro Shop.

Hard to beat that as an all around choice. Easy expansion and shows good barrier performance.

Yep, tough little booger.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by hanco
I have several thousand 62 grain Bear Claws. They will do anything I need. I use them in 233’s and 22-250’s

Good to hear, i've loaded up 300 of those in 223 myself, another bullet i've never ran into meat.

They will slap through a 200 lb piggies shoulders at 200 yards to parts unknown. I don’t hunt deer with a 223, but I wouldn’t be nervous about it with a Bear Claw.

damn! more than i expected, good to know and thanks hanco.

Trump Won!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, akpls, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 655 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.