Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Zr2 has a locking front diff, turning both front tires when locked.
Z71 has a open front diff, meaning only one front wheel at a time pulls when in 4wd. Also, it picks the wheel with the least traction, leaving you spinning in a bad situation.

GB2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Anyone spending almost 50 k on a Phugging Chevy Colorado needs to have their head examined. Thats the base price on a ZR2 .

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I did a bunch of work to my hunting truck, a 92 Toyota , but the biggest thing any 4x4 can benefit from is lockers front and rear. I went with ARB air lockers and an on-board compressor. It also got a 4" lift and better springs in back, which leveled it out with a canopy since Toyota springs blow. Taller tires and aluminum wheels totaled 6" of lift. It will really crawl all locked up. It's flat scary where a locked 4x4 can go. places you realize you don't have the skillset to be. I once straddled a washout that dirtbikes had started and winter rains had carved to about 8' deep. It was on a steep-ass road on top of that, and let me tell you if it had slipped into that crevasse on one side it would have been holy hell dragging it out, with lots of body damage. Went right up without slipping a tire.

Made a believer out of me, lockers are THE SCHIT.

What lift did you go with? I went Old Man Emu 2” with 235/85R16’s.
Mine has the E-Locker on the rear from the factory. It’s got me out of anywhere I needed out of but still wish it had a front locker. ARB bumper with a 12,000lb winch so not too worried about getting stuck.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Muddinmetal
Zr2 has a locking front diff, turning both front tires when locked.
Z71 has a open front diff, meaning only one front wheel at a time pulls when in 4wd. Also, it picks the wheel with the least traction, leaving you spinning in a bad situation.

I call that maximum slip diff !

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every GM 4x4 I've owned since the '80 K10 shorty, came with what GM calls a locking rear and all worked fairly well, provided they had decent tires on them.

While I haven't done much "adventuring" with them, neither did any of them ever get stuck in snow or mud. The '80 came to me used, with "car tires" on it. Replaced them with Firestones that resembled BFG T/As back in the 80s, world of difference. Made it through some impressive amounts of snow with that truck. Hunting buddy had an '81 Chevy, also with the rear locker, which also got around pretty well.

He finally traded that with over 200K miles, on a new Chevy 4x4. The dealer he bought it from, didn't order their trucks with the rear locker option at the time, like most other Chevy dealers around here did. Said he didn't think having a rear locker was a big deal?

First deer season, he backed up into a snow covered field to retrieve his buck and got stuck. One rear wheel dropped off the end of the sluice pipe at the field entrance. Twisted the truck enough, that one front wheel had no weight on it, so she just sat there and spun in FWD. Needed a bit of a pull to get it out onto the dirt road. Told him he might as well be driving a Nash, without at least a rear locker? He didn't keep that one long, replaced it with another new truck w/locker.

Lockers all around are the cat's ass if you're gonna regularly be going off road. Otherwise, just the rear locker is usually enough? Has been for me, so far for normal road use. Have an old beat to hell Bronco II at hunting camp for off road use. Regular little mountain goat in the woods. Locking hubs, five speed and it stays in FWD low at all times. Haven't had that stuck yet, either.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have a power wagon with 456 rear end, and a rubicon with a 410 rear end, when you lock all in and disconnect sway bars in deep mud with ditches, it’s pretty much unstoppable, plus they will both pull much more than what spec’s say, in short pulls, winch on front of both are a must.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
824 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 77 invisible), 3,257 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.